IGNORED

Butcher: 'When we see cancer in the pork, we just cut it out and still sell it to customers'

MorningGlory

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,445
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

16 hours ago, walla299 said:

They still had C-rats when I went through basic in 1980 . . . everything tasted like the can it came out of, but you wouldn't starve. The MREs tasted a little better but were harder to heat up in those plastic bags. We could heat the cans on any hand exhaust manifold we could find - usually the truck we were in.  Fun times.  :)

We fired up the helicopter gunship, and with a pair of pliers held the can in the turbine engine exhaust for about 12 seconds. Any longer and you wore it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.12
  • Days Won:  78

3 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

We fired up the helicopter gunship, and with a pair of pliers held the can in the turbine engine exhaust for about 12 seconds. Any longer and you wore it.

Oh my!  Now THAT is ingenuity!  My dad was career military and I grew up hearing about 'C' rations.

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

On 12/12/2017 at 8:53 AM, Neighbor said:

Ah the stuff I have eaten, why as a kid of 7 years age I have enjoyed the mussels along the Piscataqua River at Portsmouth NH . We would go along the river find an old can of decent size, start a little flaming fire and boil them in the river water our little court gang of five or six of us.  I used to eat periwinkles off the rocks at York Beach ME. I would dig clams from the backwaters at Drakes Island ME., and catch and consume Hornpout from Squam Lake NH. Even ate the leftover bass bait we had gathered from under the lake's rocks the crayfish.

The family farmed turkey, and slaughtered chicken too, some kosher.  The corn fields were fertilized in manure of many kinds. And the watermelons were really fine having laid in the sun on the dirty earth.

Food does not originate along those Shiny LED lit aisles of the super center of today. It is made out there in the raw world by sweating people working hard to till the vast fields and fish the great oceans and lakes. It is a messy business, but a necessary one, for there are just not enough Bambi's grown up  in the wood  to kill and eat, for all of us to enjoy.

PS - Speaking of suet pudding, that was a treat  from my youth that my grandmother would makes with a fine yellow colored rum sauce. we loved it. All I remember is it hanging in a cloth gauze as part of it's preparation. Boy that and the steamed chocolate raisen pudding were wonderful- recipes lost to time and people lacking time today.  I have asked within th family but no one seems to have those recipes. Many remember the product on the holiday table and how they too enjoyed it, but  I guess we forgot the secret to keeping knowledge of them is to have at least copied and stored the recipe.

Here ya go, Neighbour......does this look like it might come close to your Grandma's pudding...?  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/24284/grandmas-suet-pudding/

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

13 minutes ago, Heleadethme said:

Here ya go, Neighbour......does this look like it might come close to your Grandma's pudding...?  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/24284/grandmas-suet-pudding/

Sure could be. Thanks, looks much like it. Seems to me she used to put the whole thing in a gauze wrap like poaching trout. But yes that looks like it and should be good.

Of course you do know after reading the threads here on diet fasts and gluttony I am in a serious modified diet with fasting green drink and alternating Lemon water and distilled water, right?  But hey why not visit the past one time anyway.

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

2 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Sure could be. Thanks, looks much like it. Seems to me she used to put the whole thing in a gauze wrap like poaching trout. But yes that looks like it and should be good.

Of course you do know after reading the threads here on diet fasts and gluttony I am in a serious modified diet with fasting green drink and alternating Lemon water and distilled water, right?  But hey why not visit the past one time anyway.

Yes, it's a steamed pudding.....I think that's how it used to be done in the old days, with gauze.  Well maybe you can have some pudding once you're over the fast, just dont' overdo it bro.  :) 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

On 12/11/2017 at 8:35 PM, MorningGlory said:

This article really stopped me in my tracks.  This is gross and disgusting but we would never know if we bought meat that had cancerous growths removed from it, would we?

http://nativestuff.us/2017/11/an-experienced-butcher-admits-when-we-see-cancer-in-the-pork-we-just-cut-it-and-still-sell-it-to-customers/

This kind of thing is an old story actually. 

I am willing to take my chances. Cant do without my bacon :laugh:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

14 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

I am in a serious modified diet with fasting green drink

Drinking Soylent Green? :P

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,445
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

22 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

Oh my!  Now THAT is ingenuity!  My dad was career military and I grew up hearing about 'C' rations.

Now you know what happened to the 'squeal". :laugh: