keyman

John 6:44 question

I am surprised the Worthy servers do not burst into flames whenever somebody mentions Calvin.

How is it that we pretend we do not see or hear of that man's historical burning and torture of so many believers that did not agree with the church. Have we no conscience today? What is wrong with us, are we so desensitized?

I have found that the Calvinistic theology is such a series of horrible half-truths, that I just cannot comprehend the kind of God that he was referring to in his writings. He really sounds schizoid in much of what he writes.   I suggest we steer clear of any hint of those ideas.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:31 PM, keyman said:

John 6:44 says No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Calvinist's believe this is saying that the Father chooses who to draw so they will get eternal life.

And it really does look like that, but I believe that interpretation conflicts with other Scriptures like 1 Timothy 2:5, 2 Peter 3:9 and John 3:16.

What do you guys think?

1 Timothy 2:5  "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."

2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life."

I am not a follower of Calvin, but I do believe that the scripture you gave from John 6:44 means exactly what it says.  Unless God chooses to reveal his Son Jesus Christ to a person, they won't believe.  Have you ever asked yourself why one person believes and another does not?  It is all according to God's sovereign will.  

As far as the scriptures go that you said seem to conflict, I can pretty much throw the first and third one out.  I don't see the least contradiction, apparent or real in either of them.  God exists in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Ghost.  Jesus Christ is the mediator between mankind and God the Father.  He has become our high priest.  John 3:16 simply states that God gave his Son because he loves the world, and those who believe "should" not perish.  All of that can be true, and God the Father can still choose who to reveal his Son to.  

The verse in 2 Peter 3:9, I can see the confusion.  God clearly has allowed many to perish.  Hell is full of people that rejected Christ.  He is longsuffering for the sake of the elect.  The prodigal son is a good example.  He started out saved, and a son of the Father.  He left home and went into the hog pen of sin, and was lost and dead in his trespasses.  He was hell bound, but he was of the elect, so God long suffered with him until he had time to come to his senses, return to the Father, and be restored to right relationship.  He was now on his way to heaven again.  He that was lost was found.  He that was dead was made "alive again."  

On 12/12/2017 at 3:31 PM, keyman said:

John 6:44 says No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Calvinist's believe this is saying that the Father chooses who to draw so they will get eternal life.

And it really does look like that, but I believe that interpretation conflicts with other Scriptures like 1 Timothy 2:5, 2 Peter 3:9 and John 3:16.

What do you guys think?

Perhaps it is addressing human pride and presumption. Many think their way, or Rabbi Shlomo is ‘thee’ way and they can achieve heaven through their own ingenuity. Jesus put an end to all that fiction by stating we are fully dependent on God, His drawing us to Him and not us doing it.