• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  167
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

First of all the scripture to buy a sword in Luke 22:36

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

really blew my mind away. I had always thought that the Apostles went around as Jesus did and ministered in the same way. Without arms but in Luke 12:27-40

27 Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

28 If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?

29 And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.

30 For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.

31 But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.

32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.

34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

35 Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning;

36 And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately.

37 Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them.

38 And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants.

39 And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through.

40 Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.

it states that God would provide all things to them.

I have full faith in God and know that there is something here I don't understand or getting wrong, but I would really like for it to be explained to me. Not only for my benefit, but also to get the answers that I will need if asked by someone else. Thank you and God bless.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

16 hours ago, Justmemyselfandi said:

First of all the scripture to buy a sword in Luke 22:36

really blew my mind away. I had always thought that the Apostles went around as Jesus did and ministered in the same way. Without arms but in Luke 12:27-40

it states that God would provide all things to them.

I have full faith in God and know that there is something here I don't understand or getting wrong, but I would really like for it to be explained to me. Not only for my benefit, but also to get the answers that I will need if asked by someone else. Thank you and God bless.

Note that the verse in Luke 22 occurs on the night of the last supper just before Jesus is betrayed in the garden.  It does not describe the typical ministry that went on in the years before nor does it describe the ministry of the apostles in the book of Acts.  It likely describes a lesson Jesus was teaching His disciples (who were probably expecting the Kingdom of God to be a political and social kingdom where the Romans were expelled and Jesus was set up as king) rather than a command about future ministry.

Luke 12 starts out with Jesus speaking to the multitudes and the beginning of chapter 13 is to a crowd as well.  It's not clear if verses 27-53 are only to the twelve or a larger group referred to as disciples.  Luke uses the term disciples to refer to both the twelve and the larger group of all of His followers.   Given that He says similar things in the sermon on the mound to the crowds, I'd lean toward Luke 12:27-40 being more of a statement about life in general than about ministry in particular.

Also note that in Luke 10 tells about Jesus sending out the many disciples in addition to the twelve.  I'd assume that Luke 22:35 is referring back to the Luke 10 time of ministry.

When I read Luke 22:36, my memory of scripture is that Jesus and His disciples (not just the 12 but the wider group of them) did not appear to be walking around armed.  Other than Peter taking a hack at someone in the garden during the betrayal, there is no record I can recall in the NT describing believers using a sword.  Other than Jesus driving out the moneychangers and their animals in the Temple (using a whip he braided), I cannot recall any other use of force or violence.  This suggests to me that Luke 22:36 was probably part of some lesson He was trying to teach or emphasize to the twelve and not a general command.  Other than some converts whose occupation included weaponry (the jailer, Cornelius the centurion and any of the crowd in his household that were soldiers), I cannot think of examples of the disciples being armed.  (Now, I do not take this as "proof" that all Christians should be pacifists and unarmed nor do I take Luke 22:36 as proof that all Christians should be armed.  I think each individual needs to carefully weigh what God would have them do in various situations.)

Stepping back to the big picture, over the years I've come to see the main point of reading and studying scripture as learning more about God.  When I was a younger Christian, my study of the Bible was focused on learning more about what I was supposed to believe, answering questions, and figuring out what God's commands were for me (and everyone else).  I was also really into prophecy because I was worried about what was going to happen.  The bottom line is that I was looking to learn everything I could about God and what He had done and would do rather than looking to get to know Him better.  Over time, I've found that my focus has become more on learning more about Who God is.  In the process of that, I've become much more familiar with individual books of the Bible, the history, culture, geography, politics, etc. surrounding the various books as well as the various ways different Christian sects view different books and passages.  As one knows God more and more, the Bible simply becomes easier to understand.  It's ironic.  When I started out, I took Proverbs 25:2 (It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings) as the primary way of how to approach studying the Bible.  That somehow God had concealed hidden truths, patterns,symbols, and facts within the very words of the Bible and that being a diligent student of scripture meant that I should seek those things out.  I now approach things from a diametrically opposite point of view.  Instead of focusing on finding those things that everyone else has missed or argues about, I focus on better understanding those things that God has clearly and plainly put in scripture.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  167
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

4 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Note that the verse in Luke 22 occurs on the night of the last supper just before Jesus is betrayed in the garden.  It does not describe the typical ministry that went on in the years before nor does it describe the ministry of the apostles in the book of Acts.  It likely describes a lesson Jesus was teaching His disciples (who were probably expecting the Kingdom of God to be a political and social kingdom where the Romans were expelled and Jesus was set up as king) rather than a command about future ministry.

Luke 12 starts out with Jesus speaking to the multitudes and the beginning of chapter 13 is to a crowd as well.  It's not clear if verses 27-53 are only to the twelve or a larger group referred to as disciples.  Luke uses the term disciples to refer to both the twelve and the larger group of all of His followers.   Given that He says similar things in the sermon on the mound to the crowds, I'd lean toward Luke 12:27-40 being more of a statement about life in general than about ministry in particular.

Also note that in Luke 10 tells about Jesus sending out the many disciples in addition to the twelve.  I'd assume that Luke 22:35 is referring back to the Luke 10 time of ministry.

When I read Luke 22:36, my memory of scripture is that Jesus and His disciples (not just the 12 but the wider group of them) did not appear to be walking around armed.  Other than Peter taking a hack at someone in the garden during the betrayal, there is no record I can recall in the NT describing believers using a sword.  Other than Jesus driving out the moneychangers and their animals in the Temple (using a whip he braided), I cannot recall any other use of force or violence.  This suggests to me that Luke 22:36 was probably part of some lesson He was trying to teach or emphasize to the twelve and not a general command.  Other than some converts whose occupation included weaponry (the jailer, Cornelius the centurion and any of the crowd in his household that were soldiers), I cannot think of examples of the disciples being armed.  (Now, I do not take this as "proof" that all Christians should be pacifists and unarmed nor do I take Luke 22:36 as proof that all Christians should be armed.  I think each individual needs to carefully weigh what God would have them do in various situations.)

Stepping back to the big picture, over the years I've come to see the main point of reading and studying scripture as learning more about God.  When I was a younger Christian, my study of the Bible was focused on learning more about what I was supposed to believe, answering questions, and figuring out what God's commands were for me (and everyone else).  I was also really into prophecy because I was worried about what was going to happen.  The bottom line is that I was looking to learn everything I could about God and what He had done and would do rather than looking to get to know Him better.  Over time, I've found that my focus has become more on learning more about Who God is.  In the process of that, I've become much more familiar with individual books of the Bible, the history, culture, geography, politics, etc. surrounding the various books as well as the various ways different Christian sects view different books and passages.  As one knows God more and more, the Bible simply becomes easier to understand.  It's ironic.  When I started out, I took Proverbs 25:2 (It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings) as the primary way of how to approach studying the Bible.  That somehow God had concealed hidden truths, patterns,symbols, and facts within the very words of the Bible and that being a diligent student of scripture meant that I should seek those things out.  I now approach things from a diametrically opposite point of view.  Instead of focusing on finding those things that everyone else has missed or argues about, I focus on better understanding those things that God has clearly and plainly put in scripture.

That my friend was awesome. I love your style of thoughtful responses because it places everything into perspective.  Very thought provoking. I think we are destined to talk again, in fact I'm looking foreword to it. Thank you a God bless.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1