• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  167
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/02/1958

I really need expert help in searching out what I think I know from what is scriptural. I have ideas that I am uncertain of and since I brought them up, like my "Christians not being into politic" thread and I am highly concerned that what I stated may be catistrohically wrong and I don't want to mess up or even more messing up someone else.

I think I need an ordained minister or three or five to talk to because a lot of what is being talked about here is way over my head.

Guess I need to look elsewhere. Anyone know a good place to work on this, online?

12 minutes ago, Sojourner414 said:

Scripture is pretty clear on a lot of issues, and the ones it doesn't directly speak to are really up to the believer. As for "politics", I do think we should hold some standing on them, as the country is led by those in power and we should not enable those who would lead it in an ungodly direction (at least as much as possible within our ability).

I figured I( would reply and hopefully, that will get some other points of view in here and aid you in your search. :)

I appreciate that. Do you know anything about this web site?

https://www.christforums.org/

It says its a protestant site, but I think I've heard something about it being overrun by Atheists.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, Justmemyselfandi said:

I really need expert help in searching out what I think I know from what is scriptural. I have ideas that I am uncertain of and since I brought them up, like my "Christians not being into politic" thread and I am highly concerned that what I stated may be catistrohically wrong and I don't want to mess up or even more messing up someone else.

I think I need an ordained minister or three or five to talk to because a lot of what is being talked about here is way over my head.

I think you're heading in the right direction.  One of the challenges is that most Christians tend to put various issues (and opinions) and questions (and the correct answers) into one of 3 categories and tacitly assume that there is something wrong with any Christian that doesn't put every issue and question into the same categories that they do.

1. Necessary for salvation.

2. Necessary to live a life pleasing to God.

3. Either doesn't matter or is a matter of personal conscience and preference.

Depending on the question you ask, different people might put it into different categories.  (At the risk of igniting a derailment...)  One example is what version of the Bible Christians should read.   There is a very small group of Christians that puts this into 1 (reading the one particular version which is the real Word of God is critical for salvation).  A small group puts this into 2 (that reading anything other a particular version or subset of versions that are correctly translated is not spiritually healthy).  Most Christians put this into the category of personal conscience and preference to do what is best for you.  Some things such as "God forgives our sins through Jesus" or "God created the world" will be considered as salvation essentials by all Christians.  Some things such as whether you should close your eyes when you pray or not will be considered as personal preference and conscience by most Christians.

The passion with which a response is given is usually related to how high up the list a particular opinion or correct answer is held to be.

Another observation I've made is that many Christians overcomplicate many topics and express them in complicated religious jargon.  Frankly, it's a foreign language that often keeps outsiders from understanding what we're talking about.  Each denomination and group also tends to have its own jargon as well.   Sometimes it feels like we need to learn the proper passwords and code words and memorize the correct answers to a series of arcane questions to be accepted into the group.  To be blunt, most Christians today have been indoctrinated (not educated!) in what they should believe.   The net result is that many new Christians waste a bunch of time trying to figure out whose indoctrination is most correct or purest so that they can find the best church or denomination to join.  My anecdotal observation is that most new Christians start out believing the indoctrination of the first church or group that helped them grow spiritually.  Often, it is the church that they are first saved in or first get serious about serving God.  They found God there and assume that that church is more correct than the others.  Later, some Christians find another church or group or teacher (with different opinions on some topics) and then they change their opinions to match that indoctrination.  I used to worry about this a lot.  I was more concerned with what people said they believed than how they were living their lives.   Then I started evaluating groups on how they pray (and if they see prayers answered), how they live, if the fruit of the Spirit is obvious, if love is apparent and unfeigned, and in general if I can see God's glory being reflected in their lives.  (This is a challenge online because I can't see someone's life.)

Chances are that some discussions here that are "over your head" are probably on arcane details of things Christians have been debating and arguing over for decades if not centuries or millennia.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.  Just be honest that you aren't sure and I doubt anyone will be mislead.  Chances are that any questions you ask were something that someone was thinking about at one time or another.   I wish I could promise gentle, instructional, and helpful responses from everyone, but some questions or thoughts can trigger a zealous response on the part of some people.

35 minutes ago, Yowm said:

If your concern is about Christian and politics, I believe the person's conscience should be his guide as far as how involved one should be. Personally, praying and voting would be a minimum.

My concerns are not about politics, but about Biblical teachings and wither my stance on such things are with Gods plans or against them.  Like I said before. I need confirmation about what my stances are and information on what is out there that I don't even know about, that's written in the Bible.

There is so much that is being discussed here about Christianity that is way over my head. What the issue really is is that I don't even know the questions to ask to get me to a better understanding of God and Christ.

1 minute ago, Yowm said:

Well, this place may be a learning experience if you are willing to check out what is being said with Scripture and ask questions for clarification about what someone claims to be true that you don't understand.

I can do that, but a lot of times I post a question and am simply rolled over by those people in the midst of an ongoing debate. I've had that happen so many times because people get fixated on the one person they are arguing with and after a few tries, I just try to make what sense I can out of it or pm one of the people in the thread.

I'm really thinking about just starting PMing either you or Gandalf for information. A lot of people will respond but many of them aren't very descriptive. A great many of them just post a scripture without even explaining what it meant to them and I'm supposed to figure out what that scripture has to do with what we are talking about. That's not very helpful.

Just now, Yowm said:

You can feel free to PM me if you want (I am about to turn in but can field your questions tomorrow). 

How long have you known Jesus and what was your previous background? (answer in PM if you feel led)

Thank you. I'm about to turn in myself. I've got to pick up a load of Hersheys chocolate and run it over to St. louis, mo for Friday. I'm trying to get home in Waco, tx on the 18th and that will be tight. Have a wonderful day. God bless.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

16 hours ago, Justmemyselfandi said:

We all make mistakes occasionally. Doesnt mean that you have blasphemed in any way. :P

Christians should get involved in politics if they truly feel God is leading them in that direction because there are so many no Christian leaders leading their people down the path to hell.