1 John 1:9 question

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I am hoping this is the correct forum. I would like serious discussion on 1 John 1:9

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Most of the Christians I have encountered have said this verse is for believers saying they need to confess there sins in order to reinstate there fellowship with God because when they sinned it was broken. Or some others say believers need to confess sins in order to get there salvation back because when they sinned they lost it. And if they were to die without having all there sins confessed they would go to hell.

My personal belief is that 1 John 1:9 is for unbelievers to confess that they are sinners then they can become born again.

You can't be born again unless you admit you are a sinner first.

What do you guys think?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

1 hour ago, keyman said:

You can't be born again unless you admit you are a sinner first.

What do you guys think?

From my experience, we make mistakes, faults, and we fall sometimes.

Then when you've just noticed you have sinned, you may feel the need to confess it and repent.

But when you fall to an evil temptation, and you keep falling, falling, and falling, until you have to make a decision and say: "There is something wrong, I have to learn how to walk, I cannot keep falling forever"

"Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock:
and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock." - Matthew 7:24-25

To keep falling to evil temptation is like a double-minded situation. Can you ask for it to be removed from you, or are you desiring it? Decide what you want as soon as possible.

"But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.
For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord;" - James 1:6-7

The truth is, if you decide to reject all kinds of evil then you will not desire to fall for it. Welcome the Lord Jesus to your heart.

"Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word;
and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him." - John 14:23

1 hour ago, keyman said:

And if they were to die without having all there sins confessed they would go to hell.

No one can confess all their sins 100%. This statement is false.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
not of works, lest anyone should boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

1Jn 1:7 ESV  But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.

1Jn 1:8  If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

1Jn 1:9  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1Jn 1:10  If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

1Jn 2:1  My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

1Jn 2:2  He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

The sin we need to confess when we are saved is the sin of not believing that Jesus is the Son of the Living God;  That He was/is the Messiah, God in human flesh, born of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary.  "The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth."  He was crucified as the propitiation for our sin, was buried, was raised from the dead, and ascended into heaven.  This is the gospel that Paul preached.  

We are told in v. 7 that as we continue to do the things we are aware that God wants us to do and continue in fellowship with God and other Christians, the blood of Jesus continues to cleanse us from all sin.  v.8 But if we do sin willfully we just need to confess it to God (and sometimes to others) to be cleansed.  And Jesus is praying for us and defending us in heaven. (2:1).

When we encounter people who claim to be Christians but claim that they have never done anything wrong, they are calling God a liar and  the word is not in them (1:10).  No one is as pure as the glory of God and all of us are marred by imperfection in our lives.  Christ in us continues to cleanse Christians from all sin as we walk with Him.

• Thumbs Up 1