Dating an Unsaved Person

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

In my past life I have been a sinner and not caring what I did and thats how It was when I met my current boyfriend. Three months ago I have been saved by my savior and I take it VERY seriously. But my boyfriend seems as if he is still "lost" and "unsaved". I take in account that I am elected by the Lord and he sees a big change in me, but I do not see one in him. He continues to live his life in Sin and believes "God will understand". He continues to smoke marijuana, drink alcohol where the holy spirit is no longer in control, uses profanity, and Gods name in vain. I am honestly out growing this relationship because he has yet to try to change for the Lord. He comes to church with me, but I feel hes not there for the right reasons. He also believes he doesnt always have to go to church. I want advice on what I should do and how I should come about this. I no longer have pre marital sex, and I have changed my life around because I WANT to live for GOD, not myself. Should I continue to pray for him? Someone please help. God does not approve of someone dating or marrying an unsaved person. Please what should I do?

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

Hi, welcome to worthy. 

Congrats on getting saved and for wanting to live as He wants us to live. You are in a tough situation, but I think you already realize what you need to do. Perhaps you should sit down with your boyfriend and explain to him what your beliefs mean to you and how your life has changed. Explain to him that you feel you are outgrowing the relationship because of these changes. Explain how important the Lord is to you. Continue to pray for him. But it is clear that the relationship you have with your boyfriend needs to change. Its possible that the conversation you will have with him will show him Christ. Something similar happened to me. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

42 minutes ago, madilynnbrown said:

In my past life I have been a sinner and not caring what I did and thats how It was when I met my current boyfriend. Three months ago I have been saved by my savior and I take it VERY seriously. But my boyfriend seems as if he is still "lost" and "unsaved". I take in account that I am elected by the Lord and he sees a big change in me, but I do not see one in him. He continues to live his life in Sin and believes "God will understand". He continues to smoke marijuana, drink alcohol where the holy spirit is no longer in control, uses profanity, and Gods name in vain. I am honestly out growing this relationship because he has yet to try to change for the Lord. He comes to church with me, but I feel hes not there for the right reasons. He also believes he doesnt always have to go to church. I want advice on what I should do and how I should come about this. I no longer have pre marital sex, and I have changed my life around because I WANT to live for GOD, not myself. Should I continue to pray for him? Someone please help. God does not approve of someone dating or marrying an unsaved person. Please what should I do?

When you asked Jesus Christ into your life you became a child of God. That means that all relationships can not be unevenly yoked. If you stay with this guy it would not be a good thing. You need to sit down with this guy and have a talk. Tell him that Jesus Christ is number one in your life and if he will not except Jesus as His Lord and Savior you will no longer be in a relationship. Then you need to give your life including your future relationships to God. Ask Him if He has a person who loves the Lord in His plan for you. Sit back and see what He does in your life.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,828
  • Content Per Day:  2.43
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

Honestly, I would just break it off. If you sit him down and give him some kind of ultimatum, he might just go with the flow and try to fake it to stay with you. I would just tell him you can't be involved with him romantically any more, but you hope he'll go to church with you and strongly consider praying and studying and considering Christianity.

You're a new Christian, a vulnerable time when you're still learning a lot about how best to follow God. Holding on to what has been a sinful relationship up to this point will not help, and will likely hurt, you.

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

All good advice given to you already.

Yes, you should pray for him, but you need to let go of him and continue growing in Christ.    Perhaps he will eventually change, but you don't want to hold onto this relationship if he is continuing a sinful lifestyle and doesn't seem to care about it.

Get to know some Christian men for fellowship and who knows what will happen?