Question

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Hi.  im not sure if I'm saved or not.  Can it take a while to be saved?  Im trying to gain faith by reading Gods word.  I had an "experience" with Christ two years ago, where I thought I was born again, but I can say for sure.  So how long can a conversion take?  On trying to read the Word of God (for faith comes by reading the word of God) .  ice been doing this for so long though.  Help?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Hi, Tyler.

I'm Jayne.  I'm 56 and have been a Christian - saved by the grace of God - since I was 9 years old.

No, it does not take a while to be saved.  Salvation is instantaneous.  But our sanctification, our growth, never ends.  Salvation and sanctification.  Those are two different things.

[1]  Salvation = The Bible says that to be saved, one must believe that Jesus Christ is LORD and that God literally raised him from the dead.  Faith - that is what it takes to be saved.  Romans 10:9  Here's a Biblical explanation.

• First of all, God draws us to him of his own accord and nothing of ours - John 6:44;  Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Secondly, to get to God via his wooing of us to him - the ONLY path is Jesus Christ - John 14:6
  • Lastly,  the Holy Spirit "guarantees" and seals us.  And that same Holy Spirit is who washes us and regenerates us - Titus 3:5;  Ephesians 1:13-14
  • Our part is to submit ourselves to this, repent of our sins, and follow the LORD after being saved in obedience and daily surrender.

[2]  Don't confuse your own feelings with salvation.  We have nothing to do with saving ourselves.  We respond to God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit in the way God prescribes - belief and faith.  Just because you may not feel saved doesn't mean you aren't.  And just because you feel you might be doesn't mean you are.  Follow your faith in the facts of God's Word.  Think of a three car train.  The truth of God and His Word is the engine car.  Your faith is hooked to that.  Your feelings are the caboose, hooked to your faith.  There is nothing wrong with feelings - God created us to have them, but they do not lead us.

[3]  Please read those passages I cited in point [1].  Pray to the LORD to show you if you are saved or not.  And come back and talk to us about it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

36 minutes ago, Tyler22 said:

Hi.  im not sure if I'm saved or not.  Can it take a while to be saved?  Im trying to gain faith by reading Gods word.  I had an "experience" with Christ two years ago, where I thought I was born again, but I can say for sure.  So how long can a conversion take?  On trying to read the Word of God (for faith comes by reading the word of God) .  ice been doing this for so long though.  Help?

Did you ask Jesus Christ into your life to be your Lord and Savior? Did you ask for repentance of your sins? Were you sincere in your heart when you asked Jesus Christ into your life? If that is the case you are saved. It is a gradual transformation. God will change you from the inside out. Read your Bible and get to know God. Have a daily relationship with Christ and pray daily. God's timing is different than our timing. Humans want instant gratification and God doesn't work like that. God is always with you even though you do not feel like He is. That is where faith and trust comes in.