Obedience

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Jesus says blessed are those who hear and do the word of god.  Hearing is quite obvious.  But can you give me a clear cut example of DOING the word?  And what does it even mean to hear and do?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

1 hour ago, Tyler22 said:

But can you give me a clear cut example of DOING the word?

I believe it means to believe and practice it, bring it to heart.

"Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock:
and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock." - Matthew 7:24-25

1 hour ago, Tyler22 said:

And what does it even mean to hear and do?

I believe to hear is to understand it, to do is to practice it.

"Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms." - James 5:13

And if I am suffering and do not pray then I am not doing the word. And if I do it I would certainly be blessed, as Jesus said.

"For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened." - Matthew 7:8

Edited by 4LdKHVCzRDj2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

6 hours ago, Tyler22 said:

Jesus says blessed are those who hear and do the word of god.  Hearing is quite obvious.  But can you give me a clear cut example of DOING the word?  And what does it even mean to hear and do?

Hi Tyler,

A very important question there bro. Now Jesus was speaking to the multitudes and they could `hear` Him talk. Today we read God`s word and also have the Holy Spirit within to guide us. He will highlight our wrong attitude and behaviour plus outwork the life of Christ that we are being changed into. If you focus on the doing you will end up probably `religiously` doing certain acts, whereas if you concentrate on being, working with the Holy Spirit to change you, then the `doing` will automatically follow. - `For out of the heart comes......all our attitudes and behaviours.

May you learn to walk with the Holy Spirit more closely, bro.

Marilyn. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

Hear and DO is so simple even  a child should be able to grasp.   Look at the beauty of how simple this is

Give unto one who lacks.      MEANS if someone lacks food or etc,  SIMPLY GIVE to them.

this applies to all JESUS sayings.   Hear a saying we do the saying .   its just so simple.   

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

19 hours ago, Tyler22 said:

If a Father asks his son , take out the trash.   what do we think that means.   It means TAKE out the trash.   I know I see it as a small child does

if JESUS said do we do and if he called something evil or said not too, WE DONT .     So simple.  

and now a word.

LEST ye become as small children you cannot enter into the kingdom of GOD.     aka....................OBEY the ONE TRUE LORD .   IF he says DO we do and don't we DONT .

and no trying to go around or change or omit HIS sayings.....................ITS HEAR and DO , not hear and try and change or not do. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

19 hours ago, Tyler22 said:

When James, the  half-brother of Jesus, said to be doers and not hearers only he went on to say that to be a hearer only is to deceive yourself.  How?  In my mind if a person hears a portion of the Bible in a sermon and nods their head in agreement - such as "love thy neighbor as thyself" - but then never practices that, they are self-deceived.  They THINK they are righteous because they agree with that tenet, but in actuality - because they do not practice love for others - they are a hypocrite and an idiot.  Why?  Because all he or she has is knowledge. His or her heart is not changed.  That's evidenced by their refusal to love people. The demons have knowledge of the truth and they will suffer in hell for eternity.

James also said in that same passage that only hearing the truth is like a person who looks in a mirror and then walks away, forgetting what he saw.  When we hear only, we forget it quickly.

Educators, like myself, know that learning something is a change in behavior.  Children learn by doing, not by hearing a lecture. Rote memory - while important to some - really doesn't do much for you.

I can hear a pastor or read a commentator who expresses the concept of the wickedness of the tongue and I can agree all day long with them.

But if I go out and repeat gossip or belittle people on a message board or lie to my mother or use profanity to get a laugh - then what kind of a person am I really?  NOT someone who grasps the wickedness of the tongue.  Just someone who heard a preacher talk about it and nodded my head that "other people" should watch what they say, but not me.

• Praise God! 1