IGNORED

The Gift of Prophecy: Is It Still Given Today?

ForHisGlory37

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  186
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  2

The gift of prophesy is one of the 9 gifts of the Holy Spirit....if the gift of prophesy no longer operates then neither should we presume the other 8 do....which raises the question why do church leaders single out only that gift as no longer a part of God's plan in how He ministers to His church? I believe that it comes from abuse and misuse of that gift by those who claim to have it but do not. People get hurt and misguided by false prophesy....but again the even the greatest intent of a fellow Christian who desires to speak a prophetic word can mess up and speak out of their carnal mind rather than under the anointing of the Holy Spirit. We have a lack of training up those who are called to operate in the gifts of the Spirit so much of the misuse can be blamed by lack of training.....Even the prophet Elijah trained Elisha in the prophetic calling...."God had bidden Elijah anoint another to be prophet in his stead. "Elisha the son of Shaphat . . . shalt thou anoint to be prophet in thy room" (1 Kings 19:16), He had said; and in obedience to the command, Elijah went to find Elisha." Elijah mentored Elisha until he was taken. If the churches would train up those called in such areas then we would have a church that flows with the power and anointing of the Holy Spirit and see signs, wonders and miracles! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  449
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/16/1964

On 12/23/2017 at 11:49 PM, ForHisGlory37 said:

1 Corinthians 14: 31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

I think a problem, too, is that not many with the ability to receive revelation from God concerning prophetic utterances have been restored to the church as well. The previous verse (1 Corinthians 14:30) makes it clear that exercise of the gift of prophecy was to be accompanied by revelation, similar to how the gift of speaking in tongues was to be accompanied by the gift of interpretation (so that all might learn from the utterances going forth, as your verse points out). Prophecy and tongues are closely related in that they are like pure utterances from the Spirit. Revelation and interpretation are related in that they are more mentally-oriented, where what is communicated is then assimilated mentally for the benefit of the entire congregation. So all of it becomes a necessary part of the process, leading me to believe that the FULL array of the gifts need to be in operation in any given church on any given day, not just prophecy.

This kind of heretical teaching has stolen the power of the saints and has rendered them weak and defenseless

Defenceless absolutely. I have had on-going arguments with people at other forums about their claim that the Spirit of God only speaks words of encouragement, when nothing could be farther from the truth. Any quick glimpse of scripture makes one come away with an awareness that prophecy was most often used by God to warn His people of impending dangers, both spiritually and literally on occasion. It is the same today, and any church that rejects the Spirit of prophecy (for whatever reason) rejects the Lord's ability to warn them of what the enemy may be doing in their midst, and the possible judgments that might ensue if certain members do not repent. This was happening all the time in the New Testament period.

Joel 2:28-29 And it shall come to pass afterward, That I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and yours sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions: and also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

I quote this verse all the time, which when understood to be especially applicable today, makes the following verse you quoted all that much more important:

1 Corinthians 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

We need to be desiring the gift of prophecy and praying for it incessantly. It is extremely important to the life and vitality of the church. If it were not, he would not have given this command.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

On 12/25/2017 at 2:22 AM, Waggles said:

The old AOG congregations have degenerated into Hillsong and Paradise churches based on prosperity gospel and full 

of praise and worship music - we call them 'happy clappy' churches. 

LoL. That's pretty much the case here in the US as well, although in many cases they're no longer quite so happy anymore either. When the Holy Spirit leaves, it opens the door for all sorts of other spirits that are not so pleasant, especially gossip, back-biting and strife.

On 12/25/2017 at 2:22 AM, Waggles said:

The book of Acts is alive and is coming to fruition throughout the world, more so in the Third World and in Asia where the 

power of these signs is convicting people as to the truth of Jesus the Christ being the true God of salvation.

Think you could give some detail on this? I like hearing good reports, since they tend to be fewer in number then I wish they would be around here.

On 12/26/2017 at 1:16 PM, ForHisGlory37 said:

He actually passed away a little over a year ago from cancer. 

This is actually indicative of what may be things to come, sister. It is prophesied that the judgments of God will return to the churches, and those who stand in authority yet distort His word are going to come under increasing chastisement. I have heard several stories of pastors actually dying in the pulpit in the last few decades, something almost unheard of until fairly recently.

Edited by Hidden In Him
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,789
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

John 20:27 (KJV)
[27] Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
[28] And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
[29] Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
[30] And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:
[31] But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

So my simple question is why would John write them down if the sign gifts were to continue as then? Clearly what is happening today is not matching up to what is written down!

59 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

[27] Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
[29] Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
[30] And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:
[31] But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

So my simple question is why would John write them down if the sign gifts were to continue as then? Clearly what is happening today is not matching up to what is written down!

But didn't Jesus say that these things I do will you do also and even greater because I go to my Father which is in heaven?

John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

(12) Verily, verily, I say unto you.--Comp. Note on John 1:51.

He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also.--He that by faith becomes one with the Son shall have the Son, and therefore also the Father, dwelling in him (John 14:11; John 14:20; John 14:23), and shall himself become an instrument through which God, who dwelleth in him, shall carry into effect His own works. He shall, therefore, do works of the same kind as those which the Son Himself doeth.

And greater works than these shall he do.--Comp. Notes on John 5:20, and on Matthew 21:21-22. The explanation of these greater works is not to be sought in the individual instances of miraculous power exercised by the apostles, but in the whole work of the Church. The Day of Pentecost witnessed the first fulfilment of this prophecy; but it has been fulfilled also in every great moral and spiritual victory. Every revival of a truly religious spirit has been an instance of it; every mission-field has been a witness to it. In every child of man brought to see the Father, and know the Father's love as revealed in Jesus Christ, has been a work such as He did. In the world-wide extent of Christianity there is a work greater even than any which He Himself did in the flesh. He left His kingdom as one of the smallest of the influences on the earth; but it has grown up as a mighty power over all the kingdoms of the world, and all that is purest and best in civilisation and culture has found shelter in its branches.

Because I go unto my Father.--The better reading is, because I go unto the Father. The words are to be connected not with one clause only, but with all the earlier parts of the verse. They are the reason why the believer shall do the works that Christ does, as well as the reason why he shall do greater works. The earthly work of Christ will have ceased, and He will have gone to the Father. The believers will be then His representatives on earth, as He will be their representative in heaven. Therefore will they do His works, and the works shall be greater because He will be at the Father's right hand, and will do whatsoever they shall ask in His name

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, enoob57 said:

10 minutes ago, Heart2Soul said:

But didn't Jesus say that these things I do will you do also and even greater because I go to my Father which is in heaven?

John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

(12) Verily, verily, I say unto you.--Comp. Note on John 1:51.

He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also.--He that by faith becomes one with the Son shall have the Son, and therefore also the Father, dwelling in him (John 14:11; John 14:20; John 14:23), and shall himself become an instrument through which God, who dwelleth in him, shall carry into effect His own works. He shall, therefore, do works of the same kind as those which the Son Himself doeth.

And greater works than these shall he do.--Comp. Notes on John 5:20, and on Matthew 21:21-22. The explanation of these greater works is not to be sought in the individual instances of miraculous power exercised by the apostles, but in the whole work of the Church. The Day of Pentecost witnessed the first fulfilment of this prophecy; but it has been fulfilled also in every great moral and spiritual victory. Every revival of a truly religious spirit has been an instance of it; every mission-field has been a witness to it. In every child of man brought to see the Father, and know the Father's love as revealed in Jesus Christ, has been a work such as He did. In the world-wide extent of Christianity there is a work greater even than any which He Himself did in the flesh. He left His kingdom as one of the smallest of the influences on the earth; but it has grown up as a mighty power over all the kingdoms of the world, and all that is purest and best in civilisation and culture has found shelter in its branches.

Because I go unto my Father.--The better reading is, because I go unto the Father. The words are to be connected not with one clause only, but with all the earlier parts of the verse. They are the reason why the believer shall do the works that Christ does, as well as the reason why he shall do greater works. The earthly work of Christ will have ceased, and He will have gone to the Father. The believers will be then His representatives on earth, as He will be their representative in heaven. Therefore will they do His works, and the works shall be greater because He will be at the Father's right hand, and will do whatsoever they shall ask in His name

this is a poor form of proving points without dialogue ... if we ate to continue in dialogue with one another please answer my questions put to you with the evidence given and then ask your own questions to me with your evidence given. Else it is a fruitless dialogue.

15 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

this is a poor form of proving points without dialogue ... if we ate to continue in dialogue with one another please answer my questions put to you with the evidence given and then ask your own questions to me with your evidence given. Else it is a fruitless dialogue.

Well your question didn't make much sense....So my simple question is why would John write them down if the sign gifts were to continue as then?  Can you expand on this?

I believe the reason John recorded Jesus life on earth was for the same reason as Matthew, Mark, and Luke.....to testify of the validity of the life of Jesus and the miracles He did so that all could read for generations to come. A written documentation of actual events....has nothing to do with ceasing the gifts.....hence my post prior.....Jesus tells us to go and do the works He did....

Clearly what is happening today is not matching up to what is written down!

Edited by Heart2Soul
add a few more thoughts and a God Bless
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Heart2Soul said:

Well your question didn't make much sense....So my simple question is why would John write them down if the sign gifts were to continue as then?  Can you expand on this?

I believe the reason John recorded Jesus life on earth was for the same reason as Matthew, Mark, and Luke.....to testify of the validity of the life of Jesus and the miracles He did so that all could read for generations to come. A written documentation of actual events....has nothing to do with ceasing the gifts.....hence my post prior.....Jesus tells us to go and do the works He did....

Clearly what is happening today is not matching up to what is written down!

Reiteration of previously stated:

John 20:24 (KJV)
[24] But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
[25] The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
[26] And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

The question I put to you hinged on this portion of Scripture where Thomas doubted because of physical first born verification proof was needed for him to believe; he needed to see and feel to believe... So that the context is established -Jesus comes and does that very thing for him... then, as common for The Lord to do, makes a teaching point:
verse [29] Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.  
One must note the rift that Jesus says will follow the Thomas experience and those who do not experience >yet believe<...  
John's books, (5) were considered by scholarship the last five books written: John, 1,2 an 3rd John, Revelation and by survey of NT books and dates after the period of The Acts of the Apostles miracles seem to fade from the scene; So much so that Paul is telling Timothy to take a little wine for his stomach problems... and in context of NT the last of these letters written
John says what he says:

if the miracles were continuing as you put forth why would John need to say He wrote them down so that people might believe Jesus is The Christ? What the charismatic church today is producing as miracles just like Jesus did as written down don't line up.... and to say they do is violation of self evident truth as being in the light as He is in the light...

21 minutes ago, enoob57 said:
f the miracles were continuing as you put forth why would John need to say He wrote them down so that people might believe Jesus is The Christ? What the charismatic church today is producing as miracles just like Jesus did as written down don't line up.... and to say they do is violation of self evident truth as being in the light as He is in the light...

I do understand what you are trying to say.....but the Bible also says in Mark 16 

The Great Commission

14 Afterward he appeared to the eleven themselves as they were reclining at table, and he rebuked them for their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they had not believed those who saw him after he had risen. 15 And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

19 So then the Lord Jesus, after he had spoken to them, was taken up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God. 20 And they went out and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them and confirmed the message by accompanying signs.]]

Miracles are occurring in various places....all over the world and is being recorded and documented. 

Well, I have to go do some studying......maybe catch up again later. 

God Bless.

• Thumbs Up 1