IGNORED

The Gift of Prophecy: Is It Still Given Today?

ForHisGlory37

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

Prophesy is not the same thing as predicting the future (though that can be part of it). Often it is saying things like "Embracing same sex marriage will damage the country."

Edited by Still Alive

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  134
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

God doesn't operate in areas of little faith. So to say the gift of prophecy no longer exists is simply lack of experience.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  81
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

There are two "Witnesses" in the Book of Revelation who prophesy and do miracles during the tribulation.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

On 4/17/2018 at 9:47 AM, enoob57 said:

No matter how much you want a thing it will only be so if it is so ... and if you were an honest person what you read occurring in Scripture, as to the power of miracles displayed, are not displayed in our present assemblies... it is self evident by examination which many do and report back!

Just because you don't see it occurring in your assemblies doesn't mean it's not happening around other parts of the world.  It is because of the lack of faith.  We believe in the supernatural power of God raising Jesus from the dead.  We believe in the supernatural power of the Holy Spirit yet you cannot believe that He can operate today and by the Name of Jesus heal, raise people from the dead.  These manifestations of the Glory and Power of God is happening in places where the Gospel is being preached for the first time.  Maybe you need to examine why you don't see these miracles and healings displayed in your church enoob?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,782
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

6 hours ago, ForHisGlory37 said:

Just because you don't see it occurring in your assemblies doesn't mean it's not happening around other parts of the world.  It is because of the lack of faith.  We believe in the supernatural power of God raising Jesus from the dead.  We believe in the supernatural power of the Holy Spirit yet you cannot believe that He can operate today and by the Name of Jesus heal, raise people from the dead.  These manifestations of the Glory and Power of God is happening in places where the Gospel is being preached for the first time.  Maybe you need to examine why you don't see these miracles and healings displayed in your church enoob?

My I exhort you to examine the Scriptures and to walk in The Light as He 'IS' in the Light :) Let God be God and all who follow after Him be true as He 'IS' Truth...

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  16

The Bible very clearly tells us that the gifts, including prophecy will cease.  And it clearly tells us exactly when it will  happen.  Here Paul clearly states a time will come when the gifts will cease:

Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.

In the following few verses Paul sets up a logical argument using a "now" and "then" juxtaposition.   "Now"  while gifts are active (among other things) and "then" when they will cease:

For we know in part and we prophesy in part. (now)
But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. (then)

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

When we see Him face to face, the need for, and the gifts will cease.  Ain't happened yet .....  :)

Edited by Jostler
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  771
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/07/1947

The function of "Prophet to the Nation" ceased at the death of John the Baptizer.  So any person getting up and saying such is a false prophet right off, because there is no such function in the New Testament.

After the Holy Spirit came and indwelled the believers on the Day of Pentecost, it meant that the Holy Spirit will teach believers everything they need to know.  This is contained in Paul's teaching which he received by direct revelation from the Holy Spirit.  What he and the other Apostles wrote became holy Scripture, which contains everything we need to know.

New Testament prophecy is for the comfort, edification, and exhortation of believes in the church.  They are 'love letters' from the Holy Spirit and are to be judged by those mighty in the Scriptures and men of prayer.  They are the ones who can say whether a prophecy comes from God or not.  So if a prophecy comes forth in the church meeting, and is accepted, then the people know that the Holy Spirit is encouraging them.  But if a leader who is known to be mighty in the Scriptures and a man of prayer says, "We can safely ignore that one", then the people will know that the prophecy has come from the flesh and not the Spirit.

If someone gives a prophecy and starts or finishes it by saying "This is what the Lord is saying", I reject it immediately because a genuine prophecy is self evident.  I have heard of people receiving a spirit of divination through a false personal prophecy even when the receiver has just put it on the back burner and not rejected it out of hand.

A wise pastor during his training of me in the prophetic told me that the essential preparation is to be a man of the Word and of prayer.   We have too many people giving prophecies when they have insufficient knowledge of the written Scriptures and minimal prayer lives, causing the ministry of prophecy to come into disrepute.