• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

The NIV renders this like this: "Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come." I checked this verse in many other translations, age seems most common or maybe the word world. I think this is one of the harder things Jesus said to understand. I'm not sure what it means so that's why I'm asking.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

Does not seem hard to understand for me.. Not being prideful in that statement i just read the verse in context and take it at face value..

In context we read..

Matthew 12: KJV

22 "¶ Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw. {23} And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David? {24} But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils. {25} And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: {26} And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand? {27} And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges. {28} But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you. {29} Or else how can one enter into a strong man’s house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house. {30} He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad. {31}Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. {32} And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come."

So what did the Pharisees do?  They said that Jesus was doing His works (casting out devils ) by the power of the prince of devils ( Beelzebub )  Now Jesus did not have the prince of devils within Him did He.. He was indwelled by the Holy Spirit and it was by the Holy Spirit that Jesus was casting out devils... So the Pharisees sin was to declare the work of the Holy Spirit to be the work of a devil... And this is what Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is..  In the Gospel of Mark we see it clearly stated::: I will Bold and underline the critical additional information..

Mark 3: KJV

22 "¶ And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils. {23} And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan? {24} And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. {25} And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand. {26} And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end. {27} No man can enter into a strong man’s house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house. {28} Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: {29} But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: {30} Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit."

Jesus did not have an unclean spirit.. Jesus had the Holy Spirit..

Edited by Adstar
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Beside (Mark 3:22-30) also (Acts 5:1-11)

The scripture in Matthew is saying it won't be forgiven neither now or in the next world, or age. What's the next age or world mean, after death. But if nothing can be forgiven after death why would Jesus make such a curious statement. I really don't know and I have been asking God. It sounds like that maybe for some people some things will be forgiven after death. For example, maybe a person who never had a real chance to accept Jesus will get a chance after death. Or maybe people who have weak minds and were taken in by false teachers or cults. Also maybe people who never heard the Gospel or people who had a nervous breakdown or something like that. As I said, I don't know. But it sounds like the situation isn't as black and white as we think. Just to be clear, I don't mean people who knew they needed to accept Jesus but just didn't want to. This is what I'm asking about.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

5 hours ago, JTC said:

I think this is one of the harder things Jesus said to understand. I'm not sure what it means so that's why I'm asking.

I believe it means those who goes against the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit convicts people of sin, and leads them to repentance, and salvation in the Lord Jesus.

"And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil." - John 3:19

If anyone goes against it, then they're rejecting life. It is like choosing darkness instead of light.

"He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now.
He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him." - 1 John 2:9-10

Jesus is the light, and whoever says is in Him must walk in the light.

"If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth." - 1 John 1:6

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

7 hours ago, JTC said:

The scripture in Matthew is saying it won't be forgiven neither now or in the next world, or age. What's the next age or world mean, after death. But if nothing can be forgiven after death why would Jesus make such a curious statement. I really don't know and I have been asking God. It sounds like that maybe for some people some things will be forgiven after death. For example, maybe a person who never had a real chance to accept Jesus will get a chance after death. Or maybe people who have weak minds and were taken in by false teachers or cults. Also maybe people who never heard the Gospel or people who had a nervous breakdown or something like that. As I said, I don't know. But it sounds like the situation isn't as black and white as we think. Just to be clear, I don't mean people who knew they needed to accept Jesus but just didn't want to. This is what I'm asking about.

The age is the eternal age..

The next world is the new earth where we shall exist into eternity..

I believe those who reject the gospel message of Jesus and hold onto that stance through their entire lives will not be forgiven it.. The sin mnetioned in this thread ""blasphemy of the Holy Spirit"" is a sin that shall never be forgiven.. Rejecting the gospel can be forgiven if one later on in life changes their mind and repents of their rejection and comes to believe Jesus and trust in the atonement He secured for them..

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, JTC said:

It sounds like that maybe for some people some things will be forgiven after death.

I don't think anyone knows exactly what this verse means either.

John chapter 5 verse 25

Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live.

And we don't know who will be forgiven and who won't, look at this verse.

James chapter 4 verse 12

There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you--who are you to judge your neighbor?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

17 hours ago, Adstar said:

The age is the eternal age..

The next world is the new earth where we shall exist into eternity..

I believe those who reject the gospel message of Jesus and hold onto that stance through their entire lives will not be forgiven it.. The sin mnetioned in this thread ""blasphemy of the Holy Spirit"" is a sin that shall never be forgiven.. Rejecting the gospel can be forgiven if one later on in life changes their mind and repents of their rejection and comes to believe Jesus and trust in the atonement He secured for them..

I know this is what we've been taught, I was too. But it seems odd that Jesus would say a certain sin won't be forgiven in the next world if if fact, no sins whatsoever will be forgiven after we leave here. IMO Jesus loved to make enigmatic statements. I also have hunch He has a good sense of humor. He didn't show it on earth but He might have us all laughing in eternity.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, john1 said:

I don't think anyone knows exactly what this verse means either.

John chapter 5 verse 25

Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live.

And we don't know who will be forgiven and who won't, look at this verse.

James chapter 4 verse 12

There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you--who are you to judge your neighbor?

I think you're right, no one knows for sure.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,460
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

On 12/27/2017 at 6:26 AM, JTC said:

The NIV renders this like this: "Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come." I checked this verse in many other translations, age seems most common or maybe the word world. I think this is one of the harder things Jesus said to understand. I'm not sure what it means so that's why I'm asking.

I had the same question myself and did a bunch of studying then came to a couple of conclusions. First off, it's the unpardonable sin. If you remember, the Pharisees committed the unpardonable sin when they ascribed Jesus' miracles and works of the Holy Spirit to the devil (can Satan cast out Satan?). Expositors vary, but whoever affirms verbally that divine power by which Jesus does His miracles, to the power of the Devil is the unpardonable sin.

Matt 12: 31 - 31  Another view is the deliberate rejection of Christ and His Salvation, the ultimate sin. The Holy Spirit brings the offer of Salvation to the heart. To reject the Holy Spirit is thus to blaspheme God and His nature.

I'm just a student of the Bible myself and sought out the answer(s) myself, and I don't claim them to be correct on such an important topic. But I am personally satisfied with my conclusions. Pray to the Lord for wisdom and let Him talk to you for your answers.