• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,786
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  0

On 12/28/2017 at 11:00 PM, MorningGlory said:

Well I wonder how Hillary would have fared.......

Edited by Hobie_
grammar

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

I don't put much stock in these "most admired" surveys since they are in essence just popularity contests. The proof of that is that the lists change from year to year.

A person doing truly admirable things is probably living their life that way.  An exceptional person in that regard would be on the list for multiple years.

In the unlikely event that I would ever get called for a survey like this, I would come up with a name of a missionary - particularly one ministering in a place where they were risking their life.  And the ironic part of that would be such a missionary probably wouldn't want their name publicized.

I think it's good to 'appreciate' what people do, but I cannot think of anyone in the news I really admire.  Everyone is fallible and every0ne will disappoint us from time to time.

Best to save our admiration for the One who truly deserves it.

Blessings,

-Ed

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

55 minutes ago, SavedByGrace1981 said:

I don't put much stock in these "most admired" surveys since they are in essence just popularity contests. The proof of that is that the lists change from year to year.

A person doing truly admirable things is probably living their life that way.  An exceptional person in that regard would be on the list for multiple years.

In the unlikely event that I would ever get called for a survey like this, I would come up with a name of a missionary - particularly one ministering in a place where they were risking their life.  And the ironic part of that would be such a missionary probably wouldn't want their name publicized.

I think it's good to 'appreciate' what people do, but I cannot think of anyone in the news I really admire.  Everyone is fallible and every0ne will disappoint us from time to time.

Blessings,

-Ed

Agreed, Ed.  I'm only amazed that despite the MSM's efforts they can't take the President down.. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  292
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

21 hours ago, SavedByGrace1981 said:

Blessings,

-Ed

I agree with you that I would choose somebody that would be completely unknown and who probably wouldn't want the attention at all.  I view it more as a notoriety contest than a popularity contest though.  With Obama winning with only 17% of the vote and Trump taking second with 14%, it is not at all hard to believe that either would get that percentage of the vote, if for no other reason, they are easy to recall if someone asks that question.  So, with only 31% of the vote going to those two, my guess is that most people are like us in that their heroes are less notable.  I wonder what the result would be if you could just choose a generic "somebody I know of who is unknown but who is doing great things?"  I think it would get more than 17%.

• Thumbs Up 1