IGNORED

God, Time and Foreknowledge; how can God know the future?

MorningGlory

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

This article provides a good explanation of God's relation to time as opposed to ours.  It makes sense that, since He created everything, he created time as well.   He exists outside of time, no beginning and no end, and the only time He was subject to time as we are was when He became flesh and came to live among us.

https://incisivereview.com/2015/07/15/god-time-and-foreknowledge-how-can-god-know-the-future/

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "Does God know the future?"

Answer:
The Bible is always completely accurate, including its prophetic content. Consider, for instance, the prophecy that Christ would be born in Bethlehem of Judea, as foretold in Micah 5:2. Micah gave his prophecy around 700 B.C. Where was Christ born seven centuries later? In Bethlehem of Judea (Luke 2:1-20; Matthew 2:1-12).

Peter Stoner, in Science Speaks, has shown that coincidence in prophetic Scripture is ruled out by the science of probability. Taking just eight prophecies concerning Christ, Stoner found that the chance that any one man might have fulfilled all eight prophecies is 1 in 10 to the 17th power. That would be 1 chance in 100,000,000,000,000,000. Of course, Jesus fulfilled many more than eight prophecies! There is no doubt that Bible is totally accurate in foretelling the future.

Since He can foretell the future, God certainly knows the future. Isaiah recorded these words about God: “Remember the former things long past, for I am God, and there is no other; I am God and there is no one like Me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying, ‘My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all My good pleasure’” (Isaiah 46:9-10). God is the only One who can stand at the beginning and accurately declare the end.

God is omniscient; He knows everything actual and possible. God is also eternal (Psalm 90:2). As the eternal, omniscient God, He has lived our yesterdays, our todays, and our tomorrows, the past, present, and future. God is the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End (Revelation 21:6).

There are still prophecies in the Bible that await fulfillment. Because God knows the future, we can count on all the prophecies to eventually be fulfilled. Events are taking place in God’s calendar according to His plan. We know who holds the future—the one true, personal, eternal, and all-knowing God of the Bible.

https://www.gotquestions.org/God-know-future.html

8 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Question: "Does God know the future?"

Answer:
The Bible is always completely accurate, including its prophetic content. Consider, for instance, the prophecy that Christ would be born in Bethlehem of Judea, as foretold in Micah 5:2. Micah gave his prophecy around 700 B.C. Where was Christ born seven centuries later? In Bethlehem of Judea (Luke 2:1-20; Matthew 2:1-12).

Peter Stoner, in Science Speaks, has shown that coincidence in prophetic Scripture is ruled out by the science of probability. Taking just eight prophecies concerning Christ, Stoner found that the chance that any one man might have fulfilled all eight prophecies is 1 in 10 to the 17th power. That would be 1 chance in 100,000,000,000,000,000. Of course, Jesus fulfilled many more than eight prophecies! There is no doubt that Bible is totally accurate in foretelling the future.

Since He can foretell the future, God certainly knows the future. Isaiah recorded these words about God: “Remember the former things long past, for I am God, and there is no other; I am God and there is no one like Me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying, ‘My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all My good pleasure’” (Isaiah 46:9-10). God is the only One who can stand at the beginning and accurately declare the end.

God is omniscient; He knows everything actual and possible. God is also eternal (Psalm 90:2). As the eternal, omniscient God, He has lived our yesterdays, our todays, and our tomorrows, the past, present, and future. God is the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End (Revelation 21:6).

There are still prophecies in the Bible that await fulfillment. Because God knows the future, we can count on all the prophecies to eventually be fulfilled. Events are taking place in God’s calendar according to His plan. We know who holds the future—the one true, personal, eternal, and all-knowing God of the Bible.

https://www.gotquestions.org/God-know-future.html

But what do YOU think about the premise put forth in the article, MM?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

But what do YOU think about the premise put forth in the article, MM?

It is ok but nothing I can truly wrap my brain around. Not a lot of scripture.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  357
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

On 12/30/2017 at 7:50 AM, MorningGlory said:

This article provides a good explanation of God's relation to time as opposed to ours.  It makes sense that, since He created everything, he created time as well.   He exists outside of time, no beginning and no end, and the only time He was subject to time as we are was when He became flesh and came to live among us.

https://incisivereview.com/2015/07/15/god-time-and-foreknowledge-how-can-god-know-the-future/

the fact that humans/souls could have abundant and eternal life in paradise even without any of them measuring time in heaven doesn't mean time is not always running, be it with or without time measurement

if God didn't measure time, then He wouldn't know what would and will happen to one soul or another at any point in time - IOW, He wouldn't be able to foreknow anything

if we begin to think about the origin and nature of time excluding all other things one by one from consideration, we can reach the consensus that time as constantly flowing forward is always existing/present and running (like a river constantly flowing at a constant speed) - another question is whether there will always be someone to measure time - also, without any movement/activity there will be no idea of time, but we know there is always some activity, if not on the part of souls, then at least on the part of God; plus, He made the creature and the creation after His image and likeness so that man may know what it's like to be god

1 John 4:17 (KJV) "as he is, so are we in this world."

so all this doesn't give us to understand that there is no time for God, but let's remember His words "i am the first and the last, the beginning and the end" - without addressing this to myself i can say maybe there is a beginning and end even for Him, albeit not just once but infinitely many times successively and repeatedly

Blessings

• Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,868
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

My question about the article is how science knows time doesn't exist in a black hole when nothing can get near one to take a reading or what ever, is the theory that time doesn't exist in a black hole just theory, how does science prove such a thing? As well prove light doesn't exist in a black hole. plasma is a form of light that is invisible to the human eye, and other forms as well. do we have advance enough equipment to even view it, that can be debated for we don't know what the right equipment would be to handle such a journey near a black hole or even if it's possible with man.

9 minutes ago, BeyondET said:

My question about the article is how science knows time doesn't exist in a black hole when nothing can get near one to take a reading or what ever, is the theory that time doesn't exist in a black hole just theory, how does science prove such a thing? As well prove light doesn't exist in a black hole. plasma is a form of light that is invisible to the human eye, and other forms as well. do we have advance enough equipment to even view it, that can be debated for we don't know what the right equipment would be to handle such a journey near a black hole or even if it's possible with man.

All of those things are theories at this point, ET.  The article doesn't claim that they are definite.

• Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,868
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

7 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

All of those things are theories at this point, ET.  The article doesn't claim that they are definite.

Yea I figured that, yet studying more on how quasar's work can be useful I think, they have something in common.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ytLiJC said:

so all this doesn't give us to understand that there is no time for God, but let's remember His words "i am the first and the last, the beginning and the end" - without addressing this to myself i can say maybe there is a beginning and end even for Him, albeit not just once but infinitely many times successively and repeatedly

Blessings

No, there isn't, as evidenced by Scripture....

Psalm 90:1-4

Lord, you have been our dwelling place
throughout all generations.

Before the mountains were born
or you brought forth the earth and the world,
from everlasting to everlasting you are God.

You turn men back to dust,
saying, “Return to dust, O sons of men.”

For a thousand years in your sight
are like a day that has just gone by,
or like a watch in the night.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  357
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

40 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

No, there isn't, as evidenced by Scripture....

Psalm 90:1-4

Lord, you have been our dwelling place
throughout all generations.

Before the mountains were born
or you brought forth the earth and the world,
from everlasting to everlasting you are God.

You turn men back to dust,
saying, “Return to dust, O sons of men.”

For a thousand years in your sight
are like a day that has just gone by,
or like a watch in the night.

these verses also speak of consecutive periods("thousands of years", "days", "nights") - God is indefinitely existing and living throughout the time's infinity, and as man lives many successive days and nights, so God lives for zillions of eternities(eternal cycles), but this doesn't mean there is no beginning or end for Him, because as every day of men has a beginning and end, so every eternity has a beginning and end (for it is a cycle and a period) - let's say the life of God also has some span/cycle, albeit without Him ever ceasing to exist/live (even for a while) throughout the time's infinity, and that cycle of His life is called "eternity" in Scripture...

Blessings

Edited by ytLiJC