about a tithe

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.80
  • Days Won:  21

Personally, I would tithe to the church I am currently attending. If I had an offering above that and felt led I would send it to one of the others you reference. I personally don't have a church that I attend "regularly" at this time so I tithe a bit weirdly. I give when, where, and how I feel led (sometimes that relates to just blessing an individual when they're in need); but it isn't something to be legalistic over like the others have mentioned. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

There is no longer a Levitical priesthood, so it seems that the biblical recipients of tithes no longer exist and that thus, there isn't anyone qualified to receive them.  As with many OT laws, Jesus seems to take this law and demand more of us, and His instruction was to give sacrificially.  Depending on your circumstances, that might be more than 10%. 

(Or, if you live in early 20th century America and were in the top tax bracket, you might be taxed 90% of your gross income, where in order to give 10% of your gross income, you'd have to literally live on an income of $0 or less...I digress...)

And if we're getting technical...

Tithes were specifically things like seed, fruit, and livestock.  I don't see anything about money in there.  The recipients were Levites who had no inheritance to the land, religious festivals in Jerusalem, and orphans/widows. 

So, to live out that OT law, you'd have to bring all your corn, wheat and chickens to a non-existent storage room in which no longer operative Levitical priests would handle the distribution. 

Take a look at what the apostles and the first century Christians did; give in accordance with Jesus' teachings.  This meant giving freely to those in need, inspiring the offerings.  When it becomes about a percentage, and not a gift from the heart, I am not sure that such giving is pleasing to God. 

Edited by stillseeking
changed "observations" to correct word, "offerings"

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Is the Korean Church you attend a wealthy church?  If so, I would give more to the other churches you mentioned that are in real need financially.

I live in an area of Los Angeles called Koreatown and the Koreans here are very wealthy, have very good jobs and many businesses, etc.   They have multitudes of Korean churches here and support them.

Also, as some others mentioned, don't over think things....God bless!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  168
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  03/18/1951

Shalom,

Don't know why, but searching this page daily, I have got to this talk just now.

Dear Evgenia, please note,

Holy Bible is One and Undivided Word of GOD. The pages named "Old Testament" and "New Testament" (and some other stuff, such as comments,) are the word of man, not GOD. What the Cross of Christ had substited (beside Animal Sacrifices) and what not, is a separate subject. But the Sacrament of Giving to GOD is to stand on. Thus, Malachi 3:8-12 is in full Power & Authority.

If you do worry about Tithing & Offering, you are right. For Verily, it's a stumble-stone for most of Believers. That's why, the more you ask, the more worldly common sense & compromise you will hear.

However, it's written to give to GOD, not just give away. So, be sure your Gift (about 10+10 pc of total income, as Tithes & Offerings are not the same,) is not misused. And it definitely doesn't matter where you give. Just may it be to Him.

I wish you to study the Word continuously. May GOD be your First Counselor in every question.

Sincerely, Igor

http://igor.worthyofpraise.org

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  249
  • Days Won:  2

1 Corinthians 3:14-15 (NKJV) 14 If anyone's work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

When we give, we should recognize that we are stewards of the funds that we control, and will face an accountability. Our gifts will be rewarded by heavenly rewards if they have enduring, eternal results.

We should measure the spiritual fruit of a ministry, not its need. Only a ministry showing evidence of the work of the Spirit can ever produce work that will endure through the fire and into the kingdom. We must not give blindly, but both prayerfully and intentionally.

While God doesn’t need our gifts, He gives us the opportunity to bless others and to participate in His plan. It is good “long term planning” if we give with His goals in mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

On 1/1/2018 at 9:24 AM, Evgeniya said:

Thank you for answering . I dont know why but usually i feel that if i will not donate to church then i might loose job or my phone or anything else , do i think too much? When i see how some charity is begging for help and i wont stand up and head to bank and donate doesnt matter how much then probably God will punish me by me loosing smth meaningful... Because it was His sign and my heart was touched but i didnt do a thing...? And also, once i forgot to send a tithe to church and after sometime there was a problem at work like the number of guests became extremely low in our restaurant, i was like Oh my God! It is because i havent send anything to church account! I was very scared then. Noone teached me to think this way, it is how i usually feel lol

That is because you feel under the law to give.  It is better to give from a joyful heart for all God has given us.  He gave Himself, and suffered for us as well.  

God blessed the widow's mite, He blessed all who gave back to Him joyfully and not grudgingly.  But if you think that God is punishing you for not giving enough, that is wrong.  Don't give out of compulsion.  Job suffered and not because he didn't tithe enough.  The verse in 2 Cor. says that we give out of our abundance to the poor so that when we have less, they may help us, and it all evens out eventually.  There will be times of plenty and times of want.  The Jerusalem church had been giving everything they had to the church, yet they were suffering want during a  famine.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

Several people have correctly pointed out that tithing is part of the Old Testament Law which no longer applies to us.Those thAt think we are still bound to give according to the Law should realize that there were 3 tithes and the Israelites also were required to bring their annual  “ first fruits” which today would be equivalent to handing over your entire first paycheck of the year.As far as who receives the tithe,one should give to wherever they get their Spiritual food.One should not eat at McDonalds and then give their money to Burger King because they need the money more.Paul taught that we were to each decide how much we choose to give,keeping in mind the more we give the more we will receive. I sure wish I had the faith of John Wesley,who reversed the tithing principle—- he gave 90% of his income and kept only 10%...... think of the rewards awaiting him! Hope all of this has helped you some.God bless

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

To Blood Bought,

Brother or Sister, that name's not clear. Whatever.

I feel sorry, that you've made the Word of GOD and burger-king in one sorry mess.

Igor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

Igor....I am a brother.....could you please elaborate and show me where I am wrong, according to the Scriptures....btw  I took a picture of your picture and sent it to best friend.....you look exactly like him...lol...God bless

• Thanks 1

Shalom Brother,

Who is wrong and who is right we shall all know at another Time.

As for me personally, here & now, there are several things I disagree with.

Against "Old" Testament, it is written,

...I am the LORD, I change not... (Malachi 3:6)

Regarding First Fruits, it is written,

...ye shall bring a sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest unto the Priest...  (Leviticus 23:10)

That definitely isn't ...equivalent to handing over your entire first paycheck of the year... but rather no more than "a first banknote from a first pack of them received from a first pay as the Answer to a Prayer of a penniless guy."

Regarding Tithe, Yes, it's better to sacrifice to your Local Church and the Priest you trust wholeheartedly, but that's not compulsory. In Malachi 3:8, GOD wrote about Him robbed by His People. Therefore, we can surely give wherever Holy Ghost might command and confirm. Especially in the case of a travelling person. (Burger-king & McDonalds may be looked at only if they feed poor folks for free.)

Regarding your words, ...Paul taught that we were to each decide how much we choose to give, keeping in mind the more we give the more we will receive... kindly keep in mind 2Peter 3:16 and do well to check up every Epistle with the Gospels to follow the Word of GOD correctly.

For at least these Scriptures teaches us to Sacrifice everything:

Mark 10:21 & 28; 12:43-44; Luke 18:28; Acts 2:44-45; 4:34-37; 2Corinthians 8:1-4.

Thus my suggestions to give some percents of income are very soft & tender, just for Beginners. But the above Scriptures are for Advanced. Yea, Book of Martyrs too.

There are other things disputable in this good Forum. It's normal. For being One, we are folks of very different levels of Knowledge, Understanding, and Wisdom. That's exactly what our Communion is for.

Let all things be done unto Edifying...  (1Corinthians 14:26)

Sincerely, Igor

http://igor.worthyofpraise.org