• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/06/1970

So, I am looking for a place to be open about my questions about God? I grew up in a "christian" family, mother was a sunday school teacher, father was a deacon, both were abusive at home: sexual, physical, and spiritual. I got away from church at 14 yrs old until about 22 yrs old, then left again at 30 yrs old, and tried again to go back to church but found hurtful, hypocritical christians.  The past 7 years  I have been on my own reading the bible only the past year and started christian counseling about 4 months ago, which has brought up a lot of un-answered questions about God. I have read thru the bible now 6 times, and studied several books about God, but this relationship part? ? ? Do I really need community? Are there any real christians? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praying! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

A good community will provide answers to questions with enough references to bible scripture that it all makes sense.  Some answers will include different perspectives based on the person answering and their views.  Once you receive those answers, you should be able to review them in scripture yourself, consider whether that answer makes sense and is verifiable in scripture, and then pray for guidance regarding that question and answer from God.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Our relationship is with God Himself in both Bible reading and prayer.  He guides us and we follow Him, having surrendered our lives to Him.  Community is a fellowship of true believers that grows out of our relationship with God.  Yes, we do exist.  But we are there because we need a Savior so are not sin free.  We want to be rid of our sins but that is a life long process culminating when we are with Jesus in heaven.  So you may see faults in others that they are unaware of, and they may see some in you as well.  The trick is to forebear each other in love and accept them as God does.  He is the one who cleans us up as we read the Word and allow the Holy Spirit to work in our lives.

Yes there will be false Christians as well.  Jesus called them tares sown among the wheat.  But God loves them, too, and died that all may be forgiven should they receive Jesus.  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, KatSue said:

So, I am looking for a place to be open about my questions about God? I grew up in a "christian" family, mother was a sunday school teacher, father was a deacon, both were abusive at home: sexual, physical, and spiritual. I got away from church at 14 yrs old until about 22 yrs old, then left again at 30 yrs old, and tried again to go back to church but found hurtful, hypocritical christians.  The past 7 years  I have been on my own reading the bible only the past year and started christian counseling about 4 months ago, which has brought up a lot of un-answered questions about God. I have read thru the bible now 6 times, and studied several books about God, but this relationship part? ? ? Do I really need community? Are there any real christians? 

I am sorry to hear that you went through that abuse. Just because they came off to those outside your home as "Christians" in the community does not mean they were good people or born again Christians. You have to know what those people are like behind closed doors. Yes, there are born again Christians. And there are kind people who have the fruit of the Holy Spirit. But they might be few unfortunately. Have you searched several different Churches to find a good fit for you? Possibly a Church who will welcome you with open arms? If not then... no going to Church is not a salvation issue. Be sure to read your Bible daily and pray to God daily. Have a daily relationship with God rather than a "religion". You should ask your questions on Worthy and see if you get a Christian answer that you are seeking.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.80
  • Days Won:  21

15 hours ago, KatSue said:

Hey Katsue, 

I can relate to some of what you endured. I too was raised by parents who attended church for much of my childhood, both of which were also extremely abusive in different ways. I was extremely angry at God for much of my teen years and young adulthood because of that and some other things going on, thankfully His love and grace have since healed those very broken places within me.

Unfortunately you'll find hurtful people even within the church but you will also find some truly amazing people. I'm always leery of new people I encounter and have some moderate trust issues from my past; but I've had to learn that all people aren't going to be horrible, I use wisdom and ask the Lord for discernment concerning who I link arms with in this life but I also have learned to try to open my heart again. I pray that you will encounter some real folks who just love Jesus and love you too, community is so important and, dear sister, there are definitely real Christians. Until you find that in your "real life" world, please know you can have it here. We will help you with any questions you have and perhaps prove that there are still some real Christians around. Praying for you, honey. 

Be Blessed. 

Amy 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,828
  • Content Per Day:  2.43
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

So sorry to hear if your abuse, in various ways, at the hands of wolves in sheep's clothing pretending to be Christians.

Welcome to Worthy! You'll find plenty of real Christians here. Of course, that means people who readily admit they are imperfect and don't always have all the answers. But it also means ready to do all they can to reach out to you and love and accept you. God bless you on your journey into His arms!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

Hello. There is much leaven floating around and some get trapped into places of worship they would rather not be in. It is sometimes a boiled frog type of issue. There are no easy answers because no one can really tell who they are unless others point it out to them. We are on our own sometimes and therefore blind to our faults. Nevertheless, there is what I would call a 'coming out' trumpet call sounding, which might be a little unnerving to some.

A person who had come to pray was asked by an usher, "Aren't you occupewing the wrong pie?" 
The startled parishioner looked at him ungraspingly, and replied, "I was sewn into this sheet"

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

On 1/1/2018 at 10:54 PM, Yowm said:

You do need community but it won't have 'perfect' Christians.

Christians are not perfect, but when one sins against you... The minimum to be expected from a Christian is acknowledgment and repentance.

"Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother.
But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’
And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector." - Matthew 18:15-17

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

On 1/2/2018 at 11:52 AM, KatSue said:

It is understandable that you would tend to be more of a loner or introvert because of the abuse you endured during your childhood..  Also understandable that you may not feel comfortable in social situations.. I am on the loner / introvert side myself.. Not extreme, but still i am not at my best in group situations.. I am better in a one on one type situations.. Jesus said that where two or more are gathered in his name then He will be there with them :)   Matthew 18: KJV 20 "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." So this verse takes a lot of pressure of those of us who function better on a one to one basis rather then a mega 1000+ church basis..  :)

So yes we Christians need fellowship with other Christians but that does not need to be in a huge group situations..  In a way we are gathered here in a small group in fellowship You and me KatSue..

And yes there are real Christians.. But i believe they are few in these end times because many supposed Christians have fallen away from the truth that would have them saved and have heaped up for themselves false preachers telling them what they want to hear rather then telling them the truth of the LORD Jesus Christ..

But even having said that.. Being a true Christian does not make one a perfect beings without faults... So even true Christians can be very poor examples of true Christians when it comes to loving their neighbour and being Jesus like towards the world..  Being an introvert and socially awkward makes it hard for a person to be an eloquent public speaker preaching the gospel to crowds in the streets or approaching a complete stranger and witnessing to them without stuttering and stumbling and sounding like a buffoon..

In the end the most important relation we will ever have is our one on One relationship with God... God understands our thoughts and intents and we do not have to be the greatest examples of humanity around Him.. He can use the most pathetic examples of Christians and cause them to be able to serve His purpose in one way or the other..

Edited by Adstar