WorthyNewsBot

• Group:  Bots
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  39,879
  • Topics Per Day:  6.47
  • Content Count:  44,298
  • Content Per Day:  7.18
  • Days Won:  2

(Worthy News) - Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah said Tuesday he will not seek re-election after serving more than 40 years in the Senate, opening the door for 2012 GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney to run for his seat.

The 83-year-old Hatch, the longest-serving Republican in the Senate, opted for retirement despite a full-court press from President Donald Trump to stay in Washington, particularly as Romney's ambition for the seat became apparent.

Romney was a vocal critic of Trump's during the 2016 election and could be a potential thorn in the president's side in the Senate. He also has drawn the ire of Trump's former White House adviser, Steve Bannon, who recently derided Romney as a draft dodger who "hid behind" his Mormon religion to avoid serving in the Vietnam War. [ Source: Fox News (Read More...) ]

View the full article

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  292
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

While I personally like Romney and voted for him for President, I hope they come up with someone about half his age to run.  Romney is 70 and I think he also needs to retire.  The problem I have with his age group is not that they don't have the wisdom or fortitude.  On the contrary, I think the 70+ age has tremendous wisdom.  The problem I have is that they don't seem to understand how to assess the world in the digital age where information travels at lightning speed and where the world is full of video capturing devices that can distribute every bad thing that happens onto social media to get played and shared over and over.

They seem to think the world is coming apart at the seems when in fact things are not only improving but improving at a record pace.  I think we need to get more young people active in politics because they have better filters for what is happening in the world.  BTW, I am 55 so I'm not touting my own age group.