existential mabel

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,146
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Days Won:  0

as i am traveling through the bible i came across  Jer 48:13And Moab shall be ashamed of Chemosh, as the house of Israel was ashamed of Bethel their confidence.

just lately this name keeps coming up on a daily basis and i thought hmmn ...and i found this

https://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/gills-exposition-of-the-bible/jeremiah-48-13.html

Jeremiah 48:13

And Moab shall be ashamed of Chemosh

His idol; see ( Jeremiah 48:7 ) ; of his worship of him, prayers to him, and confidence in him; he not being able to save him from the destruction of the Chaldeans, and being carried captive by them; he himself also going into captivity:

as the house of Israel were ashamed of Bethel their confidence;

that is, of the golden calf that was set up in Bethel by Jeroboam, and which the ten tribes of Israel worshipped, and in which they trusted; but that could not save them from being carried captive by the Assyrians; and so were ashamed of it, and of their idolatrous worship, and vain confidence.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethel_(god)

Bethel (god) - Wikipedia

Bethel meaning in Hebrew and Phoenician and Aramaic 'House of El' or 'House of God' is seemingly the name of a god or an aspect of a god in some ancient middle-eastern texts dating to the Assyrian, Persian and Hellenistic periods.In the treaty between King Esarhaddon of Assyria and Ba‘al I king of Tyre in 677 BC, curses are called down on the Tyrian  king if he breaks the treaty, including:

May Bethel and Anat-Bethel deliver you to a man-eating lion.The name Bethel begins to appear in theophorous name from the 7th century BC onward. Some, for example Porten (1969, p121), suspect it may be this god rather than the city of Bethel that is mentioned Jeremiah 48:13:

And Moab shall be ashamed of Chemosh, as the house of Israel was ashamed of Bethel their confidence.

Or to put it another way, the stone at Bethel which was named House-of-God was also a god in itself, a manifestation of the god Bethel.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

very interesting!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

You know existential mabel, two things popped in my head reading your above post.

Pr 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

And simplicity to complexity :D

The NT Bible is so simple a child can figure out the plan of Salvation. Yet so complex, it can be mined so deeply at different levels, that no human can glean everything hidden in the Bible. Yes, what you discovered is very interesting, and there's probably many expositors through out the ages that have written on the subject. It fun and rewarding to dig deep into the Bible and get the views of those more knowledgeable than me, and especially closer to the source and / or time of the event. 

Currently I'm researching Calvary (Golgotha), the place of the skull, singular. I started off asking myself, who's skull? Almost right off the bat I dismissed one theory that claims the area landscape appeared to resemble a skull. There's just to much information and detail given about the area of Golgotha to accept that. In brief: I started off with, what did King David do with Goliath's head after David cut it off? Found some interesting information surrounding that idea and some claims of where it might be buried. Found another rabbit trail I'm chasing about Noah - Shem having preserved Adam's skull and burying it at the center of the world (Golgotha), Christ being the second Adam.

One thing I believe almost certain. The exact 'place' our Lord and Savior was crucified, someones bones were buried directly below where Jesus was crucified, and most likely has more significance than we realize. Didn't mean to go off topic on your post, but it's nice to talk to someone that's digging so deep into the Word of God.

Edited by Dennis1209

ah yes Dennis.. and all things that are in the dark brought to the light. old knowledge covered back over.
well we all know who the author of complexity is!

yes i love this the simple and the profound. i enjoy finding the information as it comes along on my daily journey with the bible. as i know i can come here and do a post and glean yet more from folk who are 'older' in christ.

yes rabbit trails very good ...hey Dennis i really enjoy digging!  black gold! and it all started cos God i believe called me out of the evangelical church. i had a hunger to read the bible in fact i cant do anything else! now normally i get distracted easily.so God is definately in this.

Golgotha hope your study brings more to light.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

19 hours ago, existential mabel said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethel_(god)

Bethel (god) - Wikipedia

Bethel meaning in Hebrew and Phoenician and Aramaic 'House of El' or 'House of God' is seemingly the name of a god or an aspect of a god in some ancient middle-eastern texts dating to the Assyrian, Persian and Hellenistic periods.In the treaty between King Esarhaddon of Assyria and Ba‘al I king of Tyre in 677 BC, curses are called down on the Tyrian  king if he breaks the treaty, including:

May Bethel and Anat-Bethel deliver you to a man-eating lion.The name Bethel begins to appear in theophorous name from the 7th century BC onward. Some, for example Porten (1969, p121), suspect it may be this god rather than the city of Bethel that is mentioned Jeremiah 48:13:

And Moab shall be ashamed of Chemosh, as the house of Israel was ashamed of Bethel their confidence.

Or to put it another way, the stone at Bethel which was named House-of-God was also a god in itself, a manifestation of the god Bethel.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

very interesting!

Here is a problem: You are using Wikipedia as a source for Biblical learning or understanding. I would avoid Wikipedia as a study source when it comes to learning about what the words mean in the Bible. 

• Praise God! 1

0k that is helpful cant really be sure bout stuff . where do you yourself go for biblical learning/understanging?

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, existential mabel said:

0k that is helpful cant really be sure bout stuff . where do you yourself go for biblical learning/understanging?

The first thing is to be patient and not expect to understand everything and have all the answers at once.   At first, it's more about practicing studying so that one becomes good at it.  

For something like "Bethel", here are a few starting points to research it.

1.  A site like Biblegateway.com can be searched to find all the bible verses where Bethel appears.  What emerges is a long term picture of a location where many things happened.  Abraham at times lived near there.  Jacob saw a vision of a ladder to heaven at that location (and gave that location the name "House of God" or Bethel.  Jacob later returned there.  When the Israelites left Egypt and entered the promised land, Bethel seemed to be a location where they met at times.  Later, one of the Israelite kings put a golden calf there which was later removed by another king.   It is this type of research that can give a sense of the history of the location.

In the old days, books called concordances listed the bible verses where particular words appeared.  With computer search engines of various sorts, concordances are have become somewhat obsolete for most people.  That being said, I still have a few Greek ones that I use at times.

I'd recommend using dedicated bible search sites which return all hits for a given term than a more generic google or bing search (which will likely only return a subset of the verses).

2. There are many books called "Bible Dictionaries" that contain much background information about various topics.  These are basically encyclopedias that contain information about topics.  This might include highlights of what Bible verses the topic is in, geographical information about location, historical information, archeological findings, and similar things.  These help fill in the background of things not directly mentioned in the bible.  There some bible dictionaries online, but many of those are older ones that are out of copyright.  Some topics are mostly unchanged in a century, but sometimes new archeological findings or other things might shed more light on some things.  One of the nice things about bible dictionaries is that they are usually well edited and most information is fairly reliable.  I've got a handful of them and compare entries for a topic.  Most of the time the entries are similar.  Once in awhile entries can reflect the doctrinal views of the editor and publisher.

3. There are other published resources that include things like maps and historical timelines.  These are usually more specialized types of books and references.

4. There are various sites on various biblical topics that individuals or groups put together.  One of the challenges is that the best materials are usually in copyright (because someone spent a long time organizing, editing, and publishing the results).  The challenge is that the quality and accuracy can vary from topic to topic from site to site.  This is a case of finding a number of opinions and articles on various topics to make sure that it's not just a few fringe people with strong opinions commenting on something.  My general finding is that there are usually a handful of original source sites that do the actual work of research and writing and a bunch of sites that basically copy that.  Finding 20 sites via search engine on a topic that all say much the same thing might be 1 original and 19 rough copies of it, or it might be 20 different people that all agree.  It takes practice and experience to start seeing the difference and being able to find a number of distinctly different original sources to compare.

5. Some study bibles are very good and contain a compressed version of much bible dictionary information.  I would also caution that some study bibles contain very opinionated and one-sided views put together by individuals or groups with a single viewpoint.  I much prefer reading notes written by honest committees with a range of viewpoints that clearly layout points where disagreement might exist.  With one-sided notes, you never know when you are reading an opinion that most Christians would agree with and when something is a complete fringe idea that few Christians would agree with.

Using tools like these provides a reasonable starting point to learn how to do your own study and research.  It's an ongoing process where you gain experience and practice at it.  As time goes on, you learn more and more.  The main piece of advice I'd give is not to rush to conclusions nor to feel like you have to find a definitive answer to every question.  Learning to study the Bible is a marathon of a lifetime, not a sprint.

I'd also recommend getting onto some type of sustainable reading plan for reading the entire bible on an ongoing basis.  Some people use a one-year bible plan with various readings that gets through the bible once per year.  Other people might be on some type of plan of reading one chapter of the OT and the NT per day every day.  Others might just have a set time of reading the bible for 30 minutes each night before going to sleep.  Depending on the phase of life one is in (student, single, married, parents, retired), different things might work better than others.   The key is finding something that works well for the individual on a long term basis.  There is also a difference between "extensive" reading (for which the main purpose is to read the entire bible without stopping for each and every question), "devotional" reading which is more related to including reading with prayer, and "study" reading where the purpose is to research in detail particular passages or books.  Each person needs to find the right balance of these reading styles and plans that works best for them.  Do not underestimate how much can be accomplished by spending a regular amount of time every day reading the Bible over a period of months and years.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

3 hours ago, existential mabel said:

I can assure you it isn't wikipedia. Sometimes I think, and this is my opinion, that we Christians, including myself, try to look super hard into a meaning of something when quite honestly no really deep research is really required. 

I also find that some Christians dig into areas of the web for understanding that they will pretty much believe anything that something says. I mean we see this on facebook quite a bit. 

But back to understand scripture. There are plenty of great commentaries out there as well as find some good solid pastors that maybe have written books on this passage or whatever. 

My point was to make sure that we don't go to a source like Wikipedia to try and understand what God means in a passage. 

GandalfTheWise - many thanks for this post.

its a layered approach i guess. i have found this helpful and informative. yes its so tempting and so easy to rush into a conclusion. these days i study the bible regulary each day. it took me a while to find a way that worked for me.

39 minutes ago, Jaydog1976 said:

But back to understand scripture. There are plenty of great commentaries out there as well as find some good solid pastors that maybe have written books on this passage or whatever. 

ok  will start to look at these sources

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

6 hours ago, existential mabel said:

Honestly just keep reading the bible.   in time whatever we need to know we know .   it just comes together.

the HOLY SPIRIT as our guide.     Ps, what they did back then...................oops many disobedient churches are trusting in today.

And their gods and govts and presidents and kings.................will not be able to save them   , no matter HOW they trusted in them.   

You will see.    All is not as it appears my dear sister.............I say all is not as it seems.     WHEN GOD said cursed is the man whose hope or trust is in man,     HE SAID IT WELL.

For many will learn WHY it was so said , WHEN they own leaders TURN on the churches too.  OH, the biblical ones anyway.   

Trust not in govts, trust not in gods, trust not in men, trust not in any , BUT GOD.   .      Heres an more recent example.

WHO used the church to get into office, WHO made promises and claimed to be christain,  YET once in OH he did deliver on some of his promises

Unemplyment went to nigh zero, the ecomony abounded incredibley.    in fact had this man died before WW two he would have went down as HITLER the great.

SCARY HUH.    the church that helped vote him in ............OH YEAH,  he also began to mold and change preaching what he called POSITIVE christanity

YEAH but it was only POSITIVE if it let HITLER run the show and supported HIM , as many true believes....WHO did get arrested and throwed in camps too FOUND OUT

too little too late.  BUT HEY................he did MAKE GOOD on his promises of FINIANCIAL SECURITY.     TRUST THAT ..............no they never should have.

Tis why its said .         And we bout to find out HUGE why I was waning \out against that so called ALL INCLUSIVE HUG FOR WORLD PEACE.    WHAT a betrayal is coming

to the true lambs.   AND many see only love , all insclusive , unity , peace....................WATCH WHO and WHAT it will lead too.      SON OF PERDITION who BY PEACE

destroys many.   YEAH its coming .

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, existential mabel said:

GandalfTheWise - many thanks for this post.

its a layered approach i guess. i have found this helpful and informative. yes its so tempting and so easy to rush into a conclusion. these days i study the bible regulary each day. it took me a while to find a way that worked for me.

Happy to help. :)   It's cool to hear you are doing regular study as well as learning how to do things in a way that works well for you.  If you ever have any questions, please feel free to ask.

• Thumbs Up 1