IGNORED

1 John 3:2 / What does it mean to be like Him?

listener24

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  650
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0

"Dear friends, we are already God's children, but he has not yet shown us what we will be like when Christ appears. But we do know that we will be like him, for we will see him as he really is."

What does it mean that we will be "like Him"?

As the verse says, it has not been shown us what we'll be on the Day of the Lord.

I think it'll be a glorious state beyond imaginable, but I don't know much more.

Would like to hear from you if you have any opinion on what this verse is referring to, and what does it mean "to be like Him".

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

8 hours ago, listener24 said:

"Dear friends, we are already God's children, but he has not yet shown us what we will be like when Christ appears. But we do know that we will be like him, for we will see him as he really is."

As the verse says, it has not been shown us what we'll be on the Day of the Lord.

I think it'll be a glorious state beyond imaginable, but I don't know much more.

Would like to hear from you if you have any opinion on what this verse is referring to, and what does it mean "to be like Him".

Hi listener,

Good thought - God`s word says that we will be like the Lord with bodies that are incorruptible & immortal. (1 Cor. 15: 53 & 54)

Marilyn. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

9 hours ago, listener24 said:

I believe it means in spirit, not in appearance.

"God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth." - John 4:24

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  249
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

"...for we shall see Him as He is."

I like this part of that verse. However glorious we think He is now, we still aren't really seeing Him "as He is"- we don't yet have the equipment to see Him fully for all that He is. As the OP said, it will take an unimaginably glorious transformation for us to fully see Him "as He is".

• This is Worthy 1

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

On 1/3/2018 at 7:45 PM, listener24 said:

"to be like Him".

Also as written:  (currently) "everyone in Him purifies themselves, as HE IS PURE"  (be like Him)

ANd :  (see often in Epistles) :   live in union (daily, today) with Jesus.   "in union" with Jesus.  Every day.  All the time.

And:  Living / walking/ daily FULL (every day) of peace, joy and righteousness.... filled by HIM, full and overflowing by Him.

To be :  without any sin.  no darkness at all.   no sin.   No sinful thought (as already should be "every thought and every desire and every dream and every deed BROUGHT SUBJECT TO JESUS"  EVERY thought even,  NOW, TODAY, brought subject to JESUS.   Perfectly.  As it is written.   EVERY thought as well as every deed and act.  WHOLE HEART serving Him.  No idolatry.  No greed.   No lie.  No worry.  No anxiety.   No lust.  No worldly desires.

Completed when we see Him.  

Already Though (now, today) Being Daily More Like Him now, already today,  for everyone who is ekklesia.   Living as He lives.  (YHVH'S WORD/ YHVH'S Directions ) .... HIS LIFE IN US,  already today, already now.  Every day by His Doing and His Word.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  357
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

On 1/4/2018 at 3:45 AM, listener24 said:

hasn't Christ come for and lived in the one who truly believes in Him and God the Father (quite) righteously?! - don't such people see the true Lord God as He really is?!

Blessings

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

35 minutes ago, ytLiJC said:

hasn't Christ come for and lived in the one who truly believes in Him and God the Father (quite) righteously?! - don't such people see the true Lord God as He really is?!

Blessings

You just quoted a post with Scripture that shows no,  people alive today, saved by grace through faith in Jesus, do not yet see YHVH ABBA ELOHIM as He is.   As Scripture you quoted says,  we will see after we are resurrected.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  357
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

2 hours ago, simplejeff said:

You just quoted a post with Scripture that shows no,  people alive today, saved by grace through faith in Jesus, do not yet see YHVH ABBA ELOHIM as He is.   As Scripture you quoted says,  we will see after we are resurrected.

where in 1 John do you see anything about resurrection?!

Blessings

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

On 1/3/2018 at 7:45 PM, listener24 said:

I suppose it means to be sinless in the eyes of God, without spot or blemish. Having perfect bodies, incorruptible and incapable of sinning. Having flesh and bone as Jesus appeared and doubting Thomas examined. Having our eyes opened and not seeing through a glass half darkly, able to see the spiritual realm, all dimensions and the full glory of God that would kill any human at present. That's just my interpretation of scripture and how I understand the meaning.