IGNORED

Where the meanings of proper names are got from?

porton

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/21/1980

Where the meanings of proper names are got from?

For example, my lexicon tells that Enoch means "dedicated". Where this meaning of the name was got from? Is it Jewish tradition? verbal tradition?

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

On 1/6/2018 at 11:13 AM, porton said:

For example, my lexicon tells that Enoch means "dedicated". Where this meaning of the name was got from? Is it Jewish tradition? verbal tradition?

Hebrew scholars and the fact that Hebrew has never passed out of Jewish understanding or study.

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,539
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On 1/6/2018 at 11:13 AM, porton said:

Shalom, porton.

Names in the Tanakh (the OT) come from words commonly used in the Hebrew language.

For instance, when Sarai heard behind a tent wall that she, a NINETY-YEAR-OLD woman, was going to have a baby, she LAUGHED at the thought! God called her on it, and although she denied laughing, when the boy was born, he was named, "Laughter!" "Yitschaq!" (We write this name, through Greek and Latin, as "Isaac" today.) The name "stuck" because of the joy he brought to this old couple!

Another good example is how the 12 sons of Ya`aqov (Jacob) were named. They all came from the feelings that the mothers were having at the time and the incidents in their lives. Leah and Rachel, two sisters married to the same man, were COMPETING for Ya`aqov's attention and affection. It was clear from the beginning that Ya`aqov wanted Rachel, but their father, Lavan, insisted that his older daughter, Leah, be married first, and SWITCHED them on the wedding night! It was VERY MUCH like Ya`aqov had done to his twin, Esav (Esau). Hmmm.... Anyway, Ya`aqov went on to marry Rachel as well, but not before Leah had felt rejected and unwanted and, yes, unloved.

Genesis 29:31-35 (KJV)

31 And when the LORD saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren. 32 And Leah conceived, and bare a son, and she called his name Reuben ("Look! A son!"): for she said, Surely the LORD hath looked upon my affliction; now therefore my husband will love me. 33 And she conceived again, and bare a son; and said, Because the LORD hath heard that I was hated, he hath therefore given me this son also: and she called his name Simeon ("He heard [of me]!"). 34 And she conceived again, and bare a son; and said, Now this time will my husband be joined unto me, because I have born him three sons: therefore was his name called Levi ("Joined/Attached to me!"). 35 And she conceived again, and bare a son: and she said, Now will I praise the LORD: therefore she called his name Judah ("Praised/Celebrated!"); and left bearing.

This gives you enough to see the picture. Leah was full of insecurity because she felt so unloved, and it showed in the naming of her children.

Just to give you a good ending to Leah's story, Rachel was buried in a tomb by herself, but Leah was buried in the family tomb in Hevron (Hebron). When Ya`aqov was giving the order of where to bury him when he died, he requested that they bury him in the family tomb with Leah.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

Has anyone done the study on the gospel revealed in the names of the first ten patriarchs, Adam to Noah?

WOW! It's been said a rough look at it reveals:

Man appointed mortal sorrow. The blessed God will descend to teach. After He dies, the sorrowing will find rest:

The gospel in the patriarchs, the gospel in 1 Chronicles 1:1!