Should Christians also eat kosher?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

I read a website/article recently that made some decent points. The link is below.

http://www.cjfm.org/resources/statements/should-christians-keep-kosher/

(Sorry. I just couldn't be bothered to type it all out myself.)

In any case, I was wondering what thoughts any of you might have on the matter.

Edited by GreyDestiny
A misspelling.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

This subject has been discussed by many here over the years.  IMO, we are not bound by the old dietary laws followed by the Jews.  The Bible tells us what is okay for us to eat.  From compellingtruth.org:

Christians get their guidance from the New Testament, which highlights which Jewish ceremonial laws we are to keep. The first clue comes in Acts 10:9-16. Peter went to a rooftop to pray and became hungry. He fell into a trance. The sky opened, and a sheet, filled with all kinds of animals, was lowered in front of him. A voice said, "Rise, Peter; kill and eat." But Peter, thinking it was a test, protested, "By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean." This happened three times.

The vision was two-sided. In the literal sense, Peter was released from the Jewish dietary law. Christ-followers did not have to keep Jewish ceremonial law because Jesus fulfilled it. In the metaphorical sense, it was one more lesson on how Jesus was for everyone, and the Jewish Christians needed to witness to the Gentiles, as well.

So it is that Christians are not bound by the dietary restrictions in Leviticus 11.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

43 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

So it is that Christians are not bound by the dietary restrictions

This is the only food restriction I am aware of.

"But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood." - Genesis 9:4

"Only you shall not eat its blood; you shall pour it on the ground like water." - Deuteronomy 15:23

"that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled,
and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell." - Acts 15:29

And do not love food too much, keep away from gluttony.

"Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth;
fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience" - Colossians 3:5-6

Edited by 4LdKHVCzRDj2
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

5 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

This subject has been discussed by many here over the years.  IMO, we are not bound by the old dietary laws followed by the Jews.  The Bible tells us what is okay for us to eat.  From compellingtruth.org:

Christians get their guidance from the New Testament, which highlights which Jewish ceremonial laws we are to keep. The first clue comes in Acts 10:9-16. Peter went to a rooftop to pray and became hungry. He fell into a trance. The sky opened, and a sheet, filled with all kinds of animals, was lowered in front of him. A voice said, "Rise, Peter; kill and eat." But Peter, thinking it was a test, protested, "By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean." This happened three times.

The vision was two-sided. In the literal sense, Peter was released from the Jewish dietary law. Christ-followers did not have to keep Jewish ceremonial law because Jesus fulfilled it. In the metaphorical sense, it was one more lesson on how Jesus was for everyone, and the Jewish Christians needed to witness to the Gentiles, as well.

So it is that Christians are not bound by the dietary restrictions in Leviticus 11.

FOR it is not what goes into the man that defiles the man.      ITS WHAT COMES OUT OF THE HEART , the INSDIE ,  thefts , adultery , fornication, SINS.

BEHOLD all things are clean unto you.  Wasn't talking about sin,  was FOOD.    however , I know many whose conscious wont allow them to eat certain foods.

And if it aint in faith.........IT IS SIN .    tis why I wont argue over who eats what or don't .   That is their own conscious.   foods,drinks, days.   STOP THE PRESS

but those are it .   THE REST IS SIN of the sinnny sin sin .    And it will get rebuked.   but as for days meats drinks,   not my concern what one eats or don't eat.

But mark that temple or even think about it ................OH NO...................I warn out against tattoes and etc .    

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  463
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

On 1/9/2018 at 1:07 PM, GreyDestiny said:

I read a website/article recently that made some decent points. The link is below.

http://www.cjfm.org/resources/statements/should-christians-keep-kosher/

(Sorry. I just couldn't be bothered to type it all out myself.)

In any case, I was wondering what thoughts any of you might have on the matter.

I didn't take the time to read the link because I'm here to comment on what I currently know and maybe later read an article online. I guess that's a longer way to say that I couldn't be bothered to go and read it before I comment.

Such a question might come from those Christians who strive to be legalists, or consider that all Christians should be so extremely converted by accepting the Jewish roots and in all but natural birth be Jewish.

However, the Methodist upbringing that I have been raised under didn't hear of such things from the pulpit. In the new testament the apostle Paul distinctly stated that all things to eat are permissible. Because he was talking to gentile Christians under grace. Even Paul a messianic Jew, was by grace- free to eat non kosher foods. The only stipulation that he put on it was to refrain from exercising your freedom when sitting next to a kosher believing believer who was eating kosher food during the church meals.

Same reason why wine or beer drinkers don't drink sitting next to teetotalers. Or, maybe the rude one's do.

So in true methodist fashion, eat what you like, and don't eat what you don't like.

It's advisable not to eat what would not be very healthy. For instance my mother fixed ham plenty of times, and I've always cooked ham for the holidays. I know, any Jew that heard that, the thought of them doing it, they would die of shock on the spot then roll over in their grave.

Well anyway, I thought that as long as I drowned it with pineapple juice and smothered it with brown sugar.. such delicious flavor would make it ridiculous not to eat it. But then I read on the internet how unhealthy it is no matter how it's cooked.

I have considered that the person was using extreme hyperbole (if there is such a thing) just to convince others to stop eating it because they don't eat it. But in my autumn years I have cut down on fixing it for the holidays. Or maybe it was just because I didn't have a decent crockpot for those years. But since I now have another crockpot I've been considering again to fixing a ham in it :)

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

Why did the Apostle Paul say he refrained from eating meat ?  (in the NT)

• Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,808
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

11 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

Why did the Apostle Paul say he refrained from eating meat ?  (in the NT)

He didn't.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

After you read Paul's Own Letters,  come back again to discuss why he did.

• Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,808
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

He said not to fight over things that don't matter. [Romans 14]

He said some people will eat all food and the weak will eat only vegetables.  He said some will regard one day of the week as more important and other will view each day the same.

He said don't be a stumbling block to the weak.  He said if your eating meat [specifically meat offered to idols and sold later in the market] offends someone then don't eat it.  He said if whatever you are drinking offends someone then don't drink it.

He said that the Christian life was not about what you ate or drank.  He also said he was all things to all people.

I'm sure there were times he abstained from particular cuts of meat and times he gobbled it down with gusto.

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

That is a choice. Christians can eat kosher if they want. It is healthy but the Bible does not tell us that we need to eat kosher.

• Thumbs Up 1