IGNORED

What does it mean to "keep the Sabbath"? (Read question's description)

listener24

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  650
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0

Since I'm on this forum I'm reading countless threads about "keeping the Sabbath" (that's quite surprising cause I've never heard about these discussions elsewhere before, didn't know it was such an "hot topic" or relevant one in Christianity).

My question is: what does it mean to "keep the Sabbath"?

What a believer should practically do on Saturday to "keep the Sabbath"?

I've no idea about it because I usually read the Gospel and I don't find any indication on how a believer should concretely "keep the Sabbath", in other words I don't find any description on what's so special that a believer should do on Saturday, and not on Monday or Wednesday, in Jesus' words (let alone Thursday).

Nor I find anything special that Jesus was doing on Saturday, except doing the exact same things He was doing on other days, like Friday, and this way making some Pharisees angry because they didn't want Him to perform the same things He was doing on other days. (Mark 3:2, John 5:16-17, Matthew 12:10, and so on, like: "So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jewish leaders began to persecute him. In his defense Jesus said to them, "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.")

So I sincerely don't know what someone should do to "keep the Sabbath", after reading every single Jesus' word in the Gospel, I don't find even a clue in His words.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

16 minutes ago, listener24 said:

Nowadays, to keep the Sabbath means to follow the Lord Jesus.

And no one can keep the Sabbath (as stated by the Law of Moses) by going to church on Saturday or doing nothing on Saturday.

But satan insists in bringing this topic of Sabbath to cause dissensions in the body. Wake up, people!

We are saved by grace, through faith: https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/217233-by-grace-we-have-been-saved-through-faith/

"Do not despise prophecies. Test all things; hold fast what is good." - 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21

God bless you, in Jesus' name!

Edited by 4LdKHVCzRDj2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

I usually keep out of sabbath debates..   The OT law regarding the sabbath was to do no customary work on the Sabbath day..  So basically the sabbath day was a day of rest..

The Biblical Sabbath day starts at Friday sundown and ends at Friday sundown.. The Biblical day start at sundown and ends at sundown.. Night first then Day..

I do find it strange when people debate about the day people should attend church and saying it should be on the Sabbath day,, When for any pastor the hardest day of work for them is the day they do their weekly church service..   And a lot of parents have to work really hard to get there kids ready and dressed up for going to church.. So a lot of work is being done on the sabbath day when people want the sabbath day to be the day they congregate..

Edited by Adstar

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

Addition. By the way, Yeshua (Jesus) gave Moses the Law.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest shiloh357
6 hours ago, listener24 said:

Since I'm on this forum I'm reading countless threads about "keeping the Sabbath" (that's quite surprising cause I've never heard about these discussions elsewhere before, didn't know it was such an "hot topic" or relevant one in Christianity).

My question is: what does it mean to "keep the Sabbath"?

I've no idea about it because I usually read the Gospel and I don't find any indication on how a believer should concretely "keep the Sabbath", in other words I don't find any description on what's so special that a believer should do on Saturday, and not on Monday or Wednesday, in Jesus' words (let alone Thursday).

Nor I find anything special that Jesus was doing on Saturday, except doing the exact same things He was doing on other days, like Friday, and this way making some Pharisees angry because they didn't want Him to perform the same things He was doing on other days. (Mark 3:2, John 5:16-17, Matthew 12:10, and so on, like: "So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jewish leaders began to persecute him. In his defense Jesus said to them, "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.")

So I sincerely don't know what someone should do to "keep the Sabbath", after reading every single Jesus' word in the Gospel, I don't find even a clue in His words.

Don't we have enough "Sabbath" threads on the boards?    Can't just post in an existing thread that is about keeping the Sabbath.   Apparently, Sabbath keepers are not content that we are happy to let them keep the Sabbath and not bother them, that we will let them alone to do as they see fit.   No, they have to come on here and start 50 threads about the Sabbath to impose it on the rest of us. 

If the Sabbath keepers want to keep the Sabbath and drone on about it, then they need to start up their own Sabbath keeping message board and leave the rest of us alone.

4 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Don't we have enough "Sabbath" threads on the boards?    Can't just post in an existing thread that is about keeping the Sabbath.   Apparently, Sabbath keepers are not content that we are happy to let them keep the Sabbath and not bother them, that we will let them alone to do as they see fit.   No, they have to come on here and start 50 threads about the Sabbath to impose it on the rest of us. 

If the Sabbath keepers want to keep the Sabbath and drone on about it, then they need to start up their own Sabbath keeping message board and leave the rest of us alone.

I was asking what does it practically mean to keep it.

Most of the other threads talk about whether to keep it or not, this one talks about "what does it mean to keep it".

Please read the description.

Ps I'm not a Sabbath keeper and I don't mind about the issue, but I'm curious to know what does it practically mean to keep it for "Sabbath" keepers.

Guest shiloh357
3 minutes ago, listener24 said:

I was asking what does it practically mean to keep it.

Most of the other threads talk about whether to keep it or not, this one talks about "what does it mean to keep it".

Please read the description.

Ps I'm not a Sabbath keeper and I don't mind about the issue, but I'm curious to know what does it practically mean to keep it for "Sabbath" keepers.

You could have asked that question in an existing thread.  That question did not deserve it's own thread.  This obsession with Sabbath stuff is getting really annoying and we don't need others contributing to it.

Edited by shiloh357

On 1/12/2018 at 7:37 PM, shiloh357 said:

You could have asked that question in an existing thread.  That question did not deserve it's own thread.  This obsession with Sabbath stuff is getting really annoying and we don't need others contributing to it.

You can make this comment under the tons of identical threads that, differently from this, just asks "should we keep it or not"?

There are tons, so feel free to comment there what you are commenting here.

This one is actually different though, and I made it because like you I'm surprised how much the issue is discussed, while it may have no practical applications.

And btw, according to you reasoning, feel free to post this same comment under the tens of thousands "once saved always saved" threads too. Seems like there is quite an abundance of them too, but I haven't noticed you going under them and say "hey guys, discuss this in one of the thousands already opened" on that topic.

• Thumbs Up 4