IGNORED

What does it mean to "keep the Sabbath"? (Read question's description)

listener24

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  479
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

17 hours ago, simplejeff said:

As noted in your more recent post,  this is worldly, carnal thinking, deceiving yourself.

Reference me scripture teaching otherwise.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  200
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

On 1/12/2018 at 6:57 AM, listener24 said:

Since I'm on this forum I'm reading countless threads about "keeping the Sabbath" (that's quite surprising cause I've never heard about these discussions elsewhere before, didn't know it was such an "hot topic" or relevant one in Christianity).

My question is: what does it mean to "keep the Sabbath"?

What a believer should practically do on Saturday to "keep the Sabbath"?

I've no idea about it because I usually read the Gospel and I don't find any indication on how a believer should concretely "keep the Sabbath", in other words I don't find any description on what's so special that a believer should do on Saturday, and not on Monday or Wednesday, in Jesus' words (let alone Thursday).

Nor I find anything special that Jesus was doing on Saturday, except doing the exact same things He was doing on other days, like Friday, and this way making some Pharisees angry because they didn't want Him to perform the same things He was doing on other days. (Mark 3:2, John 5:16-17, Matthew 12:10, and so on, like: "So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jewish leaders began to persecute him. In his defense Jesus said to them, "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.")

So I sincerely don't know what someone should do to "keep the Sabbath", after reading every single Jesus' word in the Gospel, I don't find even a clue in His words.

Traditionally as to the old testament Jews, the Sabbath was from sundown Friday unto sundown Saturday. 

Have you ever taken a day, say that period of time there, turned off all electronics including unplugging your phone,  having that day off work, and simply spent time with God? 
Meditate, pray, read scripture, or a book on Apologetics? Just spend time at peace out of the worlds attentions? 

It can be frustrating at first because many of us are so use to being occupied by noise. Like TV, phone, people, work. It may take time to relax into the quiet but after a while, and maybe immediately , it depends on the person, it feels great. And it is like taking a deep breath and a long warm bath at the same time. Which is something else you can do on that Sabbath period. Take a long warm bath. Immerse yourself in water and do nothing. Don't read, don't have a radio blaring. Remember, no electronic distractions. Just soak. Cleanse. Even add herbs to the water. Like lavender, which is wonderful for inducing relaxing calm. Herbs or the essential pure oil. 

Jesus was the Lord of the Sabbath. Meaning, he was God, (Emmanuel, God with us), who instituted the Sabbath in the 10 list of commands. Which still apply today being those are the moral laws under God's watch. As well as the spiritual laws concerning putting God first. 

Jesus did not abolish the Sabbath. That period of time is when we are able to rest and spend time with God alone. If you try what I suggested you may find you have a deeper relationship with our Lord and Savior. Blessings. :)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

On 1/12/2018 at 4:49 PM, Rick_Parker said:

Christ IS the Sabbath and we are to rest on Him.

Yeshua is The WORD. He gave us the Commandments. He is NOT the Sabbath. He is GOD ALMIGHTY...

It is foolish semantics and totally in error to reduce His Highest Holiness to a mere 'day'. Fakers, not wishing to observe Sabbath use all kinds of nonsense to try and prove they do not have to keep it. Why? Because they would rather keep rome-day instead. The time fast approaches when the sheep and the goats will be under extreme pressure to conform to a beastly system. Those that follow rome are going to be easy pickings since they spiritualize things that they should be obedient to in their vain attempt to circumvent them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  249
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

Perhaps the "foolishness" is reducing the Sabbath rest to a day?

[Heb 4:1-11 NKJV] 1 Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.

2 For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard [it].

3 For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said: "So I swore in My wrath, 'They shall not enter My rest,' " although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh [day] in this way: "And God rested on the seventh day from all His works";

5 and again in this [place]: "They shall not enter My rest."

(The seventh day rest is different that the rest the Christian is implored to into into.)

6 Since therefore it remains that some [must] enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience,

7 again He designates a certain day, saying in David, "Today," after such a long time, as it has been said: "Today, if you will hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts."

(So neither God's seventh day rest, nor entering the land under Joshua, nor any other past event up and through the time of David, is the rest that is being talked about.)

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day.

9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God.

10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his [OWN!] works as God [did] from His.

11 Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.

What does it mean to be "in" Christ?

[Jhn 15:4-7 NKJV]

4 "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.

5 "I am the vine, you [are] the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

6 "If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw [them] into the fire, and they are burned.

7 "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

If we are to be in Christ, and we are to enter in to that rest that God has planned for us from the very beginning, do you see how those ideas are ... related?? -if not identical???

And that worrying about Saturdays or Sundays is a silly distraction from the real issue?

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

31 minutes ago, Persuaded said:

And that worrying about Saturdays or Sundays is a silly distraction from the real issue?

The real issue is Observing the Sabbath in honor of the Lord God. If you wish to call the Sabbath silly, I would suggest you do not.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,543
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On 1/12/2018 at 6:57 AM, listener24 said:

Since I'm on this forum I'm reading countless threads about "keeping the Sabbath" (that's quite surprising cause I've never heard about these discussions elsewhere before, didn't know it was such an "hot topic" or relevant one in Christianity).

My question is: what does it mean to "keep the Sabbath"?

What a believer should practically do on Saturday to "keep the Sabbath"?

I've no idea about it because I usually read the Gospel and I don't find any indication on how a believer should concretely "keep the Sabbath", in other words I don't find any description on what's so special that a believer should do on Saturday, and not on Monday or Wednesday, in Jesus' words (let alone Thursday).

Nor I find anything special that Jesus was doing on Saturday, except doing the exact same things He was doing on other days, like Friday, and this way making some Pharisees angry because they didn't want Him to perform the same things He was doing on other days. (Mark 3:2, John 5:16-17, Matthew 12:10, and so on, like: "So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jewish leaders began to persecute him. In his defense Jesus said to them, "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.")

So I sincerely don't know what someone should do to "keep the Sabbath", after reading every single Jesus' word in the Gospel, I don't find even a clue in His words.

Shalom, listener24.

You're reading a LOT of negative things about Shabbat ("Sabbath") because of Gentile (non-Jewish) believers "living in the sun" too long.

The Shabbat was given to Adam first. In the Creation week, the Seventh Day (yowm hashViy`iy)

Genesis 2:1-3 (KJV)

1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

To "bless the seventh day" (Hebrew: VayVaarekh Elohiym et-yowm hashViy`iy = And-blessed God [D.O.]-day the-seventh") means to make it a happy day! "Bless" comes from the same root as "bliss" in English. While the Hebrew word ("baarekh") carries with it the idea of "kneeling," being in subjection to the Maker IS to be happy, because that is the purpose for our creation (Rev. 4:11)!

To "sanctify it [the seventh day]" (Hebrew: vayqadeesh otow = "and-sanctified/hallowed/consecrated him/it") means to "set it apart" or to "make it special." "Holy" and "hallow" = "sanctified" and "sanctify" = "consecrated" and "consecrate" = "set apart" and "set it apart." The word has nothing directly to do with being "righteous!" Also, a "holy one" = a "saint" = "one set apart." God is "holy (set apart)" BECAUSE He is supremely righteous; there's no one like Him! We are "set apart" or "made holy" because of HIS choice. HE singles us out! Why? Because we're "righteous?" Hardly! Paul said,

Romans 9:7-18 (KJV)

7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called. 8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed. 9 For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sara shall have a son. 10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac; 11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;) 12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger. 13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. 15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. 17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. 18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

Later, after YHWH delivers the children of Israel from Egypt, He gives them His Law:

Exodus 20:8-11 (KJV)

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

This is how God wanted His people - the children of Israel - to treat the Shabbat. Later, He adds this:

Exodus 31:12-17 (KJV)

12 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you. 14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. 15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

Later, Mosheh (Moses) recaps:

Deuteronomy 5:12-15 (KJV)

12 Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee. 13 Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work: 14 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou. 15 And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.

Here's what the word "keep" means: "Keep" was translated from the Hebrew word "shaamowr" which is a form of "shaamar" meaning "to keep, watch, preserve." It's the command form of the verb - a true commandment. So, Mosheh meant to "preserve the Shabbat to keep it special - to set it apart as to be treated differently than the other six days of the week.

Okay, so God didn't want anyone to work on the Shabbat. It was to be a holiday - literally, a true "holy-day." It was to be a happy day! So.... What is one to do otherwise? It's really quite simple, but God wanted them to figure it out for themselves.

SPEND YOUR TIME WITH HIM!!!

Dr. James Dobson said that children spell "love" "T-I-M-E." Children know that you love them when you take time out of your busy schedule and spend your time with them!

And, that's true for ANYONE! When you show genuine interest in another, it is a sign of respect and your total involvement in his or her welfare. That's why dating works so well!  We dedicate ourselves to the other person's well-being and focus on that other person!

It's true for God as well. When we spend time with Him with genuine interest in Him, we are showing Him the respect He deserves and our total involvment in His pleasure. We show Him that we do indeed LOVE Him!

Revelation 4:11 (KJV)

11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things (that includes US!), and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

So, show Him that you do indeed LOVE Him; spend your time with Him this Shabbat, from Friday sundown (when you can see the first three stars) until Saturday sundown, and ENJOY your time off with Him!

Edited by Retrobyter
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Non-Trinitarian
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3,490
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  1

On 23/01/2018 at 6:23 AM, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, listener24.

You're reading a LOT of negative things about Shabbat ("Sabbath") because of Gentile (non-Jewish) believers "living in the sun" too long.

The Shabbat was given to Adam first. In the Creation week, the Seventh Day (yowm hashViy`iy)

Genesis 2:1-3 (KJV)

1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

To "bless the seventh day" (Hebrew: VayVaarekh Elohiym et-yowm hashViy`iy = And-blessed God [D.O.]-day the-seventh") means to make it a happy day! "Bless" comes from the same root as "bliss" in English. While the Hebrew word ("baarekh") carries with it the idea of "kneeling," being in subjection to the Maker IS to be happy, because that is the purpose for our creation (Rev. 4:11)!

To "sanctify it [the seventh day]" (Hebrew: vayqadeesh otow = "and-sanctified/hallowed/consecrated him/it") means to "set it apart" or to "make it special." "Holy" and "hallow" = "sanctified" and "sanctify" = "consecrated" and "consecrate" = "set apart" and "set it apart." The word has nothing directly to do with being "righteous!" Also, a "holy one" = a "saint" = "one set apart." God is "holy (set apart)" BECAUSE He is supremely righteous; there's no one like Him! We are "set apart" or "made holy" because of HIS choice. HE singles us out! Why? Because we're "righteous?" Hardly! Paul said,

Romans 9:7-18 (KJV)

7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called. 8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed. 9 For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sara shall have a son. 10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac; 11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;) 12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger. 13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. 15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. 17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. 18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

Later, after YHWH delivers the children of Israel from Egypt, He gives them His Law:

Exodus 20:8-11 (KJV)

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

This is how God wanted His people - the children of Israel - to treat the Shabbat. Later, He adds this:

Exodus 31:12-17 (KJV)

12 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you. 14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. 15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

Later, Mosheh (Moses) recaps:

Deuteronomy 5:12-15 (KJV)

12 Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee. 13 Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work: 14 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou. 15 And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.

Here's what the word "keep" means: "Keep" was translated from the Hebrew word "shaamowr" which is a form of "shaamar" meaning "to keep, watch, preserve." It's the command form of the verb - a true commandment. So, Mosheh meant to "preserve the Shabbat to keep it special - to set it apart as to be treated differently than the other six days of the week.

Okay, so God didn't want anyone to work on the Shabbat. It was to be a holiday - literally, a true "holy-day." It was to be a happy day! So.... What is one to do otherwise? It's really quite simple, but God wanted them to figure it out for themselves.

SPEND YOUR TIME WITH HIM!!!

Dr. James Dobson said that children spell "love" "T-I-M-E." Children know that you love them when you take time out of your busy schedule and spend your time with them!

And, that's true for ANYONE! When you show genuine interest in another, it is a sign of respect and your total involvement in his or her welfare. That's why dating works so well!  We dedicate ourselves to the other person's well-being and focus on that other person!

It's true for God as well. When we spend time with Him with genuine interest in Him, we are showing Him the respect He deserves and our total involvment in His pleasure. We show Him that we do indeed LOVE Him!

Revelation 4:11 (KJV)

11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things (that includes US!), and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

So, show Him that you do indeed LOVE Him; spend your time with Him this Shabbat, from Friday sundown (when you can see the first three stars) until Saturday sundown, and ENJOY your time off with Him!

Possibly the best post I've seen for Sabbath (quality time) keeping 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• 7 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,192
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  01/12/1957

It really is rather simple, just like the Gospel of Messiah is simple.

Hebrews 4:9-10 (ISV) There remains, therefore, a Sabbath rest for the people of God to keep, 10 because the one who enters God’s rest has himself rested from his own actions, just as God did from his.

If one wants to observe the literal Shabbat, I have no problem with that.   Where I would disagree is when one makes it a condition of obedience.  

Out of the mouth of two witnesses is a matter confirmed......

Micah 6:8 (ISV) He has made it clear to you, mortal man, what is good
and what the Lord is requiring from you—
to act with justice,
to treasure the Lord’s gracious love,
and to walk humbly in the company of your God.

1 John 3:22-24 (ISV) Whatever we request we receive from him, because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his commandment: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus the Messiah, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The person who keeps his commandments abides in God, and God abides in him. This is how we can be sure that he remains in us: he has given us his Spirit.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  5

I Sabbath every day. I rest in the finished work of the cross all days of the week .If you were God, would you not prefer this to anything else you have seen presented here?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

42 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

I Sabbath every day. I rest in the finished work of the cross all days of the week .If you were God, would you not prefer this to anything else you have seen presented here?

Who is 'you', is he or she, God, or YOU?