IGNORED

What does it mean to "keep the Sabbath"? (Read question's description)

listener24

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  650
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0

24 minutes ago, Cobalt1959 said:

I've been reading, and sometimes participating in these kinds of threads for 16 years here.  In all that time, I always ask the same question and in those 16 years only one person even tried to answer it and even then, they never gave specifics.  They will tell you that you need to "keep" the Sabbath in some specific way, but then they either can't, or won't tell you how they do so.  And if they are telling you that you need to do it, it follows that they have to be doing it, or they they have no right to tell others they have to do so as well.  But they can never explain either simply, or in detail how they are keeping the Sabbath themselves.  That displays a blatant problem that they choose to ignore.  It bugs them when it gets brought up.

Wow this is exactly what I was asking in the OT!

I' ve been here only few months but I' ve noticed the same dynamics you are describing.

Now you confirmed me that these kind of accusations of not doing something on Saturday but being very vague on what this "something" should be is a pattern.

Edited by listener24

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  5

6 hours ago, gerhard eber said:

...undue...

Thanks for that Korrection.......55 year’s ago I was Spelling Bee champion at my grade school.....fame ,indeed is fleeting.......

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00

22 hours ago, gerhard eber said:

You are not the novice you pretend to be. No one on here won't recognise that fact at once.

8 times it's 'I', 'I', 'I' in this short space - unmistakable indication 'I' is thoroughly acquainted with his / her own 'idea' of 'what it means to keep the Sabbath' and that he / she is of the opinion any idea at difference with his / her own, is 'pharisaic'. 

Who would have so little wisdom as to think it worthwhile to enter into discussion with someone who already is so sure of his or her own ideas about the Sabbath in the Scriptures? 

Removed from thread.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

Nisan 14 Yeshua killed and buried before sundown - Wednesday

Nisan 15 unleavened bread etc

Nisan 16

Nisan 17 eve, before sundown, Yeshua Raised. YESHUA IS LORD OF THE SABBATH which HE CREATED.

Nisan 18 Just on sundown the previous day the sheaf is gathered (ok for priestly folk to 'work' on Sabbath)

Nisan 18 sheaf waved on daybreak signifying Yeshua's heavenly presentation. "Do not touch me" He said at first. Then later He appeared to them and it was OK to touch Him.

There were two Sabbaths that week, year AD 32-33 depending on your calendar.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,543
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

1 hour ago, Justin Adams said:

Nisan 14 Yeshua killed and buried before sundown - Wednesday

Nisan 15 unleavened bread etc

Nisan 16

Nisan 17 eve, before sundown, Yeshua Raised. YESHUA IS LORD OF THE SABBATH which HE CREATED.

Nisan 18 Just on sundown the previous day the sheaf is gathered (ok for priestly folk to 'work' on Sabbath)

Nisan 18 sheaf waved on daybreak signifying Yeshua's heavenly presentation. "Do not touch me" He said at first. Then later He appeared to them and it was OK to touch Him.

There were two Sabbaths that week, year AD 32-33 depending on your calendar.

Shalom, Justin Adams.

32 or 33 A.D? One question: when did Herod the Great die?

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.37

Sabbath seems to be all about not working and not conducting business of either buying or selling on that day....but resting from work and business.  Except for the priests, as some have pointed out....and that in itself teaches something, since the priests were a type and shadow of spiritual truth as well...and of our heavenly High Priest.  Is He working or resting now?  The bible says He who watches over Israel neither sleep nor slumbers....and He is always working, working, working.  Did Jesus work on the Sabbath....yes, He did....He was always working the works of Him who sent him....the works of the Father, and He harvested food to eat when He was picking grain with His disciples.  And are we not also to be priests unto God now, in Christ?  The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath....Sabbath was to teach us of the rest of God, which is to cease from our own works and rest in Christ.  It was a mercy given to His people (unlike the heathen) that they would have a rest from being slaves to the world and greed of their flesh for at least one day in the week....a similitude of the mercy that we have in Christ 24/7.   The Son is exempt from the Law...remember the temple tax...and we get exempted from the Law in the Son, in Christ...that is clear since scripture says we are no longer under the Law.

Notice that God created everything that was of the earth earthly in those six days, and then He rested from His works.......which is what we are also to do in keeping Sabbath.......ceasing from our works of the earth/flesh.......ceasing from sin and from going our own way.  In Christ is our rest even while we are working out our salvation with fear and trembling....who can fathom it.

Paul wrote that if we keep any part of the Law we are obligated to keep all of it (which nobody is able to).....we need to be careful that we aren't clinging to our own righteousness by Law-keeping and refusing the righteousness of Christ.  Refusing the righteousness of Christ means to still be in sin.  Is anyone still in sin?...then it's because they are refusing the righteousness of Christ and still seeking to establish their own righteousness by the Law.

Only those who take the mark of the beast will be able to buy or sell.....this could signify that those who refuse the mark are those who have entered the rest of God.  A mark is a seal of ownership, like a brand on cattle.   Either we are marked (branded) with the mark of God, or we are marked (branded) with the mark of the world/beast .  God's seal of ownership is the Holy Spirit....by His Spirit alone are we sanctified (not by the Law)..... holy and acceptable to God through His Spirit.

Edited by Heleadethme
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,192
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  01/12/1957

On 9/8/2018 at 4:34 PM, gerhard eber said:

You say '~we know Jesus was not resurrected on Saturday~'. Cut me out, for I KNOW MY REDEEMER LIVETH AND THAT HE ROSE FROM THE DEAD ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES THE THIRD DAY ON THE SABBATH THE DAY AFTER THE PREPARATION. Matthew 27:62 to 28:1-4. 

You do know, don't you, that there were two Sabbaths during the week that Yeshua was crucified?  The Sabbath of Passover itself and the weekly Sabbath on Saturday.  And Yeshua resurrected on the Feast of First Fruits which is the day following the weekly Sabbath after Passover.  AKA, Sunday.

But, I like to ask those that insist on a Sabbath observance, do you also keep all the feasts of Leviticus 23?  After all, it states that they all must be observed, and Sabbath is one of them, so they are all on an equal basis.  So when did you last observe the Day of Atonement perfectly?  How about Yom Teruah?  

Edited by OldCoot
Spelling.... darn spell checker!
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  134
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

On 1/12/2018 at 6:57 AM, listener24 said:

Since I'm on this forum I'm reading countless threads about "keeping the Sabbath" (that's quite surprising cause I've never heard about these discussions elsewhere before, didn't know it was such an "hot topic" or relevant one in Christianity).

My question is: what does it mean to "keep the Sabbath"?

What a believer should practically do on Saturday to "keep the Sabbath"?

I've no idea about it because I usually read the Gospel and I don't find any indication on how a believer should concretely "keep the Sabbath", in other words I don't find any description on what's so special that a believer should do on Saturday, and not on Monday or Wednesday, in Jesus' words (let alone Thursday).

Nor I find anything special that Jesus was doing on Saturday, except doing the exact same things He was doing on other days, like Friday, and this way making some Pharisees angry because they didn't want Him to perform the same things He was doing on other days. (Mark 3:2, John 5:16-17, Matthew 12:10, and so on, like: "So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jewish leaders began to persecute him. In his defense Jesus said to them, "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.")

So I sincerely don't know what someone should do to "keep the Sabbath", after reading every single Jesus' word in the Gospel, I don't find even a clue in His words.

To keep the sabbath holy means to rest and do no work in a 24 hour period during each 7 day work week. Eating and sex with the spouse are permitted. I used to play video games during my sabbath, but that left me uneasy, and doing nothing was what god rewarded me for.

Edited by Archangel Thyos

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.91

Eating on the Sabbath Is not a violation of God’s Law.Cooking is.The Sabbath- Keeping Jews to this day do all their cooking the day before.Did you?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,192
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  01/12/1957

And many just can't grasp that our Shabbat rest is in Yeshua the Messiah.  The Letter to the Hebrews is pretty clear on that.   I think if we focus primarily on that, then we will not get all caught up in side issues that take away from the simple truth of the Gospel of Yeshua.  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1