IGNORED

What does it mean to "keep the Sabbath"? (Read question's description)

listener24

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,098
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

2 hours ago, OldCoot said:

And many just can't grasp that our Shabbat rest is in Yeshua the Messiah.  The Letter to the Hebrews is pretty clear on that.   I think if we focus primarily on that, then we will not get all caught up in side issues that take away from the simple truth of the Gospel of Yeshua.  

We do sometimes complicate things don't we.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,192
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/12/1957

3 hours ago, Betha said:

and you are absolutely right.  HE came as our living example that WE should walk in HIS steps

and HE kept the Sabbath (saturday) ! 

Of course He did!  Duh!  He is a Jew, Son of David, Son of the Mosaic/Sinai Covenant.

I am not any of those.  I am a gentile grafted in and Yeshua is my Sabbath rest.  Hebrews says that and the Jerusalem Council seemed to agree.

Edited by OldCoot
  • Thanks 1

Well I didn’t feel the need to mention every title of Yeshua.  Like also He is called the Son of Man.  You missed that one too.

in your zeal, which is admirable, you miss the target. Paul even addressed similar ideas in his letter to the Romans.

45 minutes ago, Betha said:

sorry if i have misunderstood...i'm willing to discuss in a friendly way these 'similar ideas'.

I guess it is best just to get right into the base of it...  is Shabbat observance a salvation issue?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

2 hours ago, Betha said:

sorry if i have misunderstood...i'm willing to discuss in a friendly way these 'similar ideas'.

Anybody who is the Body of Christ in this Age of Grace should do what Christ told them to do.....follow Christ’s mouthpiece after He went back to Heaven—— that would be Paul...Paul said “ follow me as I follow Christ”. Paul said making a big deal out of Sabbath’s was for “ weak” Christians.......we are to put up with such types.We don’t let them rule the Church for obvious reasons......REST in the finished work of Christ at the Cross if you really want to please God. God bless 

39 minutes ago, Betha said:

it is for me !  it's not my place to make that decision for you or anyone else.

Good!

I Sabbath every day,resting in the finished work done for us at the Cross.I think God would rather see that than people fretting about what they can or can not do on a certain day.I recommend it highly.

When the Disciples asked Jesus “ what good work must we do to obtain eternal life “, Jesus responded....”

this is the work of the Father — Believe in the One He sent”.      

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,058
  • Content Per Day:  0.41

'Let no man therefore judge you 
in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holy day, 
or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Which are a shadow of things to come; 
but the body is of Christ.'

(Col 2:16-17) 

Hello there,

Although a Sunday observance is not the sabbath, which the Jew was told to 'keep' or observe, as part of the law of Sinai: it was 'kept' as such during my childhood days, and I loved the quiet of the Sunday morning, and the traditional Sunday lunch.  Although my Mother was certainly not able to stop work on that day, for the Sunday lunch was quite a big affair, with visitors on every other week end.  We lived in the living quarters of a nondenominational mission hall, and I attended the morning, afternoon and evening services, and the appropriate meetings throughout the week.  The congregation was a loving assembly and the singing wonderful, with the pipe organ playing glorious harmony in accompaniment.

It was a rest day, after the working week, and it gave time for rest and the reading of the Word of God and meeting with other believers to fellowship together, on a day when most were given the day off work to attend.  I look back with fondness on that time.  Yet I also remember the word of censure  received if you failed to attend, and the words spoken - 'Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy.' to play on the conscience of the offender.

I do not attend a place of worship now, and my reasons are my own, but I do believe a day in the week of this nature is good to keep, for this purpose, for it enables everyone to congregate together for mutual edification and communal worship, which is a strengthening experience, and a joy to participate in. It also gives opportunity for the general public to attend and hear the gospel preached from the pulpit, and the reading of the Word, at least on one day of the week, for those whose personal Bible study is sadly non-existent.

With love in Christ Jesus

Chris

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

In the Old Testament there was no work, not even cooking or building a fire nor doing ones own pleasure or talking idly.  Several high holy days were also called Sabbaths and the same rules were observed.  There were also Sabbaths of the land in which the ground was allowed to rest and go fallow without crops.  It was for not observing that that caused the children of Israel to be sent into captivity for 70 years.  

Slaves were to be released in the 7th year, and the year of Jubilee was celebrated after 7x7 years.