Bonky

Christian views on Trump

I'm seeing a shift in views of Trump on Facebook by my Christian friends.  My father proclaims to be a Christian but he still defends Trump almost no matter what.  I was starting to think that very few people really take this stuff [Christian faith] seriously but I was pleased to see that some Christians are at least starting to get annoyed.  

I support Trump in the sense that I support America, but he says and does things that would bother me if an atheist said/did them nevermind a Christian.  The issue is that Trump seems to support the Christian community, so what does a Christian do in this case?

I spoke to my father [a Christian] about this and he said "Oh he's from NY that's how those guys talk".   I'm almost certain Christ doesn't care what city you're from you're still expected to be different [holy] from the rest of society.   I've seen Christians say "Oh he's not a Christian"....ok then we can't really trust what he says then lol.  

Edited by Bonky
  • Oy Vey! 1

4 minutes ago, Bonky said:

I'm seeing a shift in views of Trump on Facebook by my Christian friends.  My father proclaims to be a Christian but he still defends Trump almost no matter what.  I was starting to think that very few people really take this stuff seriously but I was pleased to see that some Christians are at least starting to get annoyed.  

I support Trump in the sense that I support America, but he says and does things that would bother me if an atheist said/did them nevermind a Christian.  The issue is that Trump seems to support the Christian community, so what does a Christian do in this case?

I spoke to my father [a Christian] about this and he said "Oh he's from NY that's how those guys talk".   I'm almost certain Christ doesn't care what city you're from you're still expected to be different [holy] from the rest of society.  

Trump is just as flawed as the rest of us.   And much of the time  he has the guts to say what most of us are only thinking, if we were honest.   Trump hasn't said anything that hasn't been said already up in DC.  

Trump puts America first and that is refreshing since we had previous administration that loathed America, favored illegal aliens over American citizens, a president that apologized for America's greatness on foreign soil,  and pretty much tried to turn the US into third world nation.

So yes, we can support a flawed man as president since he doesn't try to hide his flaws like the rest of DC, and is willing to rub shoulders with the unwashed masses.   He isn't like the political class who thinks most Americans are nothing but a bunch of Homer Simpsons.

He shows appreciation for our vote, something no other politician does.  Trump is about America.  The Democrats are about power.  The Democrats are the party of societal sleaze.  They need to be voted out of power permanently and just let the adults run the country.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Trump is just as flawed as the rest of us.   And much of the time  he has the guts to say what most of us are only thinking, if we were honest.   Trump hasn't said anything that hasn't been said already up in DC.  

I guess the way I look at it is that sure we can just be brutally honest, but most of us have an inner filter that allows us to deal with the situation w/o causing undue offense.  Many people would argue [like myself] that a President should be such a person.  It's one thing to be someone that is willing to say the truth when it's not comfortable, it's something else altogether when someone is openly offensive and they don't care if they offended someone.  

Trump puts America first and that is refreshing since we had previous administration that loathed America, favored illegal aliens over American citizens, a president that apologized for America's greatness on foreign soil,  and pretty much tried to turn the US into third world nation.

So my point is that you can do all of this w/o being offensive on purpose and betraying the core values that you claim to hold dear.  

So yes, we can support a flawed man as president since he doesn't try to hide his flaws like the rest of DC, and is willing to rub shoulders with the unwashed masses.   He isn't like the political class who thinks most Americans are nothing but a bunch of Homer Simpsons.

No he certainly doesn't try to hide his flaws.  For most of us though we get called out for it.  When Trump stood in front of Liberty U. and referred to 2nd Corinthians as "Two Corinthians" that to me is an insult.  You would have to care enough about the situation to be insulted though.

He shows appreciation for our vote, something no other politician does.  Trump is about America.  The Democrats are about power.  The Democrats are the party of societal sleaze.  They need to be voted out of power permanently and just let the adults run the country.

I don't think you can balance Trump by focusing on what you feel is bad with the Democratic party, that's being a bit of a, dare I say "homer".   I think most Christians would agree that Mike Huckabee or Ben Carson would have been the one to become President but that didn't happen.  So for some cognitive dissonance kicks on and Trump becomes the "guy" because at he supports things they want.  I'm finding some Christians aren't willing to do that, if Trump isn't careful I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make a 2nd term.

P.S.  Shiloh if you only care about how useful Trump is don't really care whether he's serious when he says he's a Christian [you yourself being one] that speaks volumes.  To think people don't pick up on that is to think we're a bunch of homer simpsons.  So when Christians start talking about how we should behave or act...your words will have zero weight.

Edited by Bonky

Being Christian does not take away our flaws, it’s a ongoing change in a heart, and a struggle. If trump is a Christian, it may be an early stage in his walk with Christ yet. 

26 minutes ago, Bonky said:

I guess the way I look at it is that sure we can just be brutally honest, but most of us have an inner filter that allows us to deal with the situation w/o causing undue offense.  Many people would argue [like myself] that a President should be such a person.  It's one thing to be someone that is willing to say the truth when it's not comfortable, it's something else altogether when someone is openly offensive and they don't care if they offended someone. 

Sometimes it takes that kind of offense to get things done.   I listened to a woman who used to way over 600 lbs talk about how she lost over 400 lbs.  She was at a bus stop and a passerby looked at her and asked her how she could be so stupid to let herself get so fat.   It offended her.  She was angry and then in tears.  It was the meanest thing anyone had ever said to her.   But it made her think and made her realize that she needed to do something and she did it.  She said that the person who offended her and was so rude actually did her a favor.

Sometimes, we just need to tell the truth and sometimes, not be nice about it.  Niceness is sometimes the wrong response to a problem. 

So my point is that you can do all of this w/o being offensive on purpose and betraying the core values that you claim to hold dear.  

Jesus called his enemies the "sons of hell."  Paul wrote that his enemies should cut off their genitals.   Jesus told his enemies that their father was Satan. 

No he certainly doesn't try to hide his flaws.  For most of us though we get called out for it.  When Trump stood in front of Liberty U. and referred to 2nd Corinthians as "Two Corinthians" that to me is an insult.  You would have to care enough about the situation to be insulted though.

My NT Greek professor refers to II Corinthians as "two Corinthians"  because that is exactly how it is written in the Greek.   He calls II Thessalonians, "Two Thessalonians"  for the same reason.   There was no "insult."  I don't really see how you could glean an insult from that.

I don't think you can balance Trump by focusing on what you feel is bad with the Democratic party, that's being a bit of a, dare I say "homer". 

No, it is not.  And that is not what I am doing.  The Dems have proven their over all incompetence and why they should never be in charge of anything so long as they continue down their sleazy path.  The Dems are far worse than anything they accuse Trump of. 

I think most Christians would agree that Mike Huckabee or Ben Carson would have been the one to become President but that didn't happen. 

No, because most Christians didn't vote for them.   And Ben Carson is SDA, not Christian.

So for some cognitive dissonance kicks on and Trump becomes the "guy" because at he supports things they want.  I'm finding some Christians aren't willing to do that, if Trump isn't careful I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make a 2nd term.

There is no cognitive dissonance.  We didn't elect Trump to be a pastor.  We didn't elect Him to act like Baptist.   If we thought he was a righteous leader, you would have a point.  But we didn't elect him because he was one of us, but simply because he would restore respect for religious freedom

We elected him to get back what we lost under two and possibly three really bad administrations.   We elected him because unlike the other candidates, Trump proved and continues to prove that he listens to us and wants to keep his promises and so far is the first and only president in my lifetime that has ever worked as hard as Trump has, at keeping his promises.   Keeping his promises and listening to us is far more important than his personal flaws.

And frankly, he is doing far more for this country and things are going way better in the economy now than in the two administrations

Edited by shiloh357
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think it also bears pointing out that Winston Churchill was a rude, foul-mouthed drunk/chronic alcoholic, and yet was instrumental in saving western civilization.   So, character flaws don't necessarily tell the whole story.  

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Sometimes it takes that kind of offense to get things done.   I listened to a woman who used to way over 600 lbs talk about how she lost over 400 lbs.  She was at a bus stop and a passerby looked at her and asked her how she could be so stupid to let herself get so fat.   It offended her.  She was angry and then in tears.  It was the meanest thing anyone had ever said to her.   But it made her think and made her realize that she needed to do something and she did it.  She said that the person who offended her and was so rude actually did her a favor.

Sometimes, we just need to tell the truth and sometimes, not be nice about it.  Niceness is sometimes the wrong response to a problem. 

Jesus called his enemies the "sons of hell."  Paul wrote that his enemies should cut off their genitals.   Jesus told his enemies that their father was Satan. 

My NT Greek professor refers to II Corinthians as "two Corinthians"  because that is exactly how it is written in the Greek.   He calls II Thessalonians, "Two Thessalonians"  for the same reason.   There was no "insult."  I don't really see how you could glean an insult from that.

No, it is not.  And that is not what I am doing.  The Dems have proven their over all incompetence and why they should never be in charge of anything so long as they continue down their sleazy path.  The Dems are far worse than anything they accuse Trump of. 

No, because most Christians didn't vote for them.   And Ben Carson is SDA, not Christian.

There is no cognitive dissonance.  We didn't elect Trump to be a pastor.  We didn't elect Him to act like Baptist.   If we thought he was a righteous leader, you would have a point.  But we didn't elect him because he was one of us, but simply because he would restore respect for religious freedom

We elected him to get back what we lost under two and possibly three really bad administrations.   We elected him because unlike the other candidates, Trump proved and continues to prove that he listens to us and wants to keep his promises and so far is the first and only president in my lifetime that has ever worked as hard as Trump has, at keeping his promises.   Keeping his promises and listening to us is far more important than his personal flaws.

And frankly, he is doing far more for this country and things are going way better in the economy now than in the two administrations

Jesus also told folks that it's better they go drown in the ocean with a huge millstone tied to them than cause one of those who trust in the Lord to sin. I don't think he meant that the millstone should actually be a nice, fluffy life preserver! lol

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, shiloh357 said:

I'll keep that in mind.

Christians sell Jesus as a loving figure typically, some of us know that's not the whole picture. 

Saudia Arabia has tons of religious freedom.   Let me know if you're ok with a Muslim not selling you alcohol because their religion frowns upon it.   You guys are playing the role of a victim, aka persecution complex.  Toughen up snowflake!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, hmbld said:

Being Christian does not take away our flaws, it’s a ongoing change in a heart, and a struggle. If trump is a Christian, it may be an early stage in his walk with Christ yet. 

Trump is the best Christian there ever was, just ask him.

• Haha 1

Just now, Bonky said:

I'll keep that in mind.

Just don't confuse niceness for kindness. 

Christians sell Jesus as a loving figure typically, some of us know that's not the whole picture. 

Jesus was brutally honest and he didn't sugar coat what it takes to follow Him.  Jesus is loving, but Jesus is also holy and intolerant of sin.  

Saudia Arabia has tons of religious freedom. 

LOL, yeah right.  

Let me know if you're ok with a Muslim not selling you alcohol because their religion frowns upon it. 

Why would I care?   I don't drink and even if I did, I would not care because there are plenty places manned by people who are Muslims.

You guys are playing the role of a victim, aka persecution complex.  Toughen up snowflake!

No, persecution complext at all.   Don't know where you get that from.   Maybe you need to be a little more honest about us instead of making stuff up.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1