Blood Bought 1953

Can We Really Live As We Please?

13 hours ago, Sam Smith said:

I only recently ran across this gem attributed to St. Augustine, “ Love God, And live as you please” was this Wisdom or a statement straight from Hell?

Unless we have the context in where Augustine said this statement it is really hard to give a sure answer. But looking at it at face value if we love God we most likely are also saved (hard to love God when we don't have the Holy Spirit in us) and thus have the freedom to live for the Lord. I Peter 2:16 "Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God's slaves." Being born again means that we are free from the power that sin had over us and have freedom to choose what is right and have the power to live lives pleasing to him. So at face value no we cannot do just whatever we want but we can live for the Lord with freedom to do so.

• Thumbs Up 1

This quote is contained in Augustine's 7th Homily on I John.   Here's a link at CCEL to a translation of Augustine's work that this is taken from.  Note that this older translation into English was done in the 19th century.   http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf107.pdf    You will find this quote on page 866.  It is part of his comments on I John 4:4-12.  Anyone interested could read the entire homily (or indeed all 10 homilies on I John) to get the context.  Here is the paragraph in which the quote is contained.  This should give a sense of what he meant.  This is the 8th paragraph of 11 paragraphs in this particular homily (or sermon or commentary if you will).

8. This we have said in the case where the things done are similar. In the case where they are diverse, we find a man by charity made fierce; and by iniquity made winningly gentle. A father beats a boy, and a boy-stealer caresses. If thou name the two things, blows and caresses, who would not choose the caresses, and decline the blows? If thou mark the persons, it is charity that beats, iniquity that caresses. See what we are insisting upon; that the deeds of men are only discerned by the root of charity. For many things may be done that have a good appearance, and yet proceed not from the root of charity. For thorns also have flowers: some actions truly seem rough, seem savage; howbeit they are done for discip- line at the bidding of charity. Once for all, then, a short precept is given thee: Love, and do what thou wilt: whether thou hold thy peace, through love hold thy peace; whether thou cry out, through love cry out; whether thou correct, through love correct; whether thou spare, through love do thou spare: let the root of love be within, of this root can nothing spring but what is good.

I skimmed his homily.  Overall, he was talking about how our motives in doing things was critical.

• Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, Sam Smith said:

“ Love God, And live as you please”

I believe you can love people, and help them and then live as you please, but you should also try not to hurt anyone.

Matthew chapter 25 verses 31-46
When the Son of Man comes" in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. he will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the King will say to those on his right, Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. then the righteous will answer him, Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and got visit you? The King will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me. Then he will say to those on his left, Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.They also will answer, Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you? He will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me. Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.