Hobie_

Which one is better to buy, Apple or PC

My HP Desktop got hit with a virus, and I want to buy a new one, is it better to get a Apple to avoid the viruses?

What did you do with your HP Desktop?  For 99% of my internet work, I use a cheap chromebook since those 'just work' and there's no concern for viruses.  Do you want dual monitors and be able to compose / edit videos?  For that a mac or pc may be better.  For gaming, the PC wins easily.   

Macs had the reputation of 'just working' for a while but have lost some of that great reputation in the past couple years.  Some believe the macs are still worth the higher cost, other's find a pc more appropriate.

5 hours ago, Hobie_ said:

My HP Desktop got hit with a virus, and I want to buy a new one, is it better to get a Apple to avoid the viruses?

Use Ubuntu OS on any computer

why dont you just get your HP fixed? short of that, my choice is PC. Theyre far cheaper. And if you ditch windows and go with linux you get the same virus free protection that apple gives you. And, believe it or not, hardware wise theres really no difference between apple and PC-the extra cost is all tied up in the operating system. 

Unless your old computer is a 32 bit, why don't you just load one of the unix operating systems on the computer you have?

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:13 AM, bryan said:

What did you do with your HP Desktop?  For 99% of my internet work, I use a cheap chromebook since those 'just work' and there's no concern for viruses.  Do you want dual monitors and be able to compose / edit videos?  For that a mac or pc may be better.  For gaming, the PC wins easily.   

Macs had the reputation of 'just working' for a while but have lost some of that great reputation in the past couple years.  Some believe the macs are still worth the higher cost, other's find a pc more appropriate.

I did a few restore tricks and got it to come back up but the hard drive is damaged and gave errors, so its just a matter of time....

What are you going to use the computer for?

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:50 AM, coheir said:

Use Ubuntu OS on any computer

Is that a derivative of UNIX?

7 hours ago, Hobie_ said:

I like Ubuntu. there are several other open source os out there Mint is one they all use Linux. Its all free software for what ever you need to do what you are interested in.

https://www.lifewire.com/top-ubuntu-alternatives-4135701 look here.

ps You can download any Linux and test on your windows computer

Edited by coheir

On 1/16/2018 at 2:53 AM, Hobie_ said:

no, its a Linux variant. it has some similarities to UNIX, but is a completly different Operating system.