GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

How do you view autism? Do you know anyone who is autistic?

God bless,
GE

These are 12 of my own observations 1. in my life (as a person with mild to moderate Autism Spectrum Disorder or Aspergers), 2. in my family (my son has the same diagnosis and my wife is Mild ASD), and 3. in the lives of those I know (family and friends on the spectrum).

1. Empathy
• Have trouble understanding other people’s feelings or talking about their own feelings. OR may be an empath taking on the burdens and trials of others.

2. Non-verbal Communication
• Have a hard time understanding body language (or social queues).

3. Eye Contact
• Avoid or have a hard time with eye contact.

4. Socialization
• Want to be alone; or want to interact with others but may not be sure how to do so.
• Have a hard time making {close} friends. In some cases may have plenty or very few acquaintances though.
• Have a hard time (nervousness or anxiety) in social settings.

5. Interests 
• Have narrow, sometimes obsessive interests. In autistic circles these can be called special interests or hobbies.

6. Self Focus
• Talk about themselves or their interests (sometimes for long periods of time and expect others to be interested in those too)

7. Speech 
• Speak in unusual ways or with an odd tone of voice. 
• May have delayed speech and use sounds/signs instead of words to communicate.

8. Body Control
• May be clumsy or awkward.
• May have odd or repetitive movements.
• May have a hard time controlling urination or bowel movements.

9. Routine
• Have a need for a very fixed routine.

10. Sensory Challenges
• Can have extreme reactions to one or more senses including lighting, sound, touch, taste, and smell. This can lead to headaches, sensory overload, melt downs, etc. 

11. Strengths and Weaknesses
• Many people with autism are exceedingly strong in certain areas (math, science, computers, etc) and weak in others (communication, social graces, etc).

12. Brain Information Overload
• Similar to sensory challenges only has to do with too much information for the autistic brain to handle. With too much to juggle at once the brain short circuits and the person has a hard time concentrating, speaking clearly, or thinking clearly.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

Re: 1. Lack of Empathy 
For clarification it's been my experience that once a person with autism does understand another perspective they can become very empathetic.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

15 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

How do you view autism?

It is another thing that the world and the enemy use to say: "You see, you cannot do many things."

But I have the Lord who says to me:

"Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.”" - Mark 9:23

17 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

Do you know anyone who is autistic?

I have been accused of being by some people, but it is just speculation (nothing sure).

But I have learned one thing that made me feel very good: Listen to the Lord Jesus and believe in Him. This world is full of lies.

And I have learned that faith and love can do wonders in anyone's life.

Glory to God! Amen.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,165
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Days Won:  0

21 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

Re: 1. Lack of Empathy 
For clarification it's been my experience that once a person with autism does understand another perspective they can become very empathetic.

Thank you Golden Eagle   for sharing on this topic.

From what i understand MH issues has its varied spectrum where individuals fall in between different ranges.

Although i have heard about autism, I am still not really understanding of it, especially as some people diagnose themselves to be with some MH condition that they may very well not be, yet classify themselves as a type because they identify with certain symptoms. 

The categories you describe can also be for other MH issues, but its good that you list them for people to learn to better understand and detect perhaps if they are dealing with someone who has a certain type of MH issue.

What would be good is to be more understanding of individuals and showing Christ like love as we may not be carrying the same type of load that another person is carrying.

Edited by 1to3
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

Yes, I have worked with autistic children - not all are the same, depends where on the spectrum they are.

Last year I worked with a highly intelligent, loving huggy, low verbal(spoke only when he wanted to), non eye contact, very curious, focused on red, very floppy (lacked core strength) - he was full on but it was highly rewarding if not highly exhausting. He was 5.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Autism is a condition of the brain that challenges social skills, repetitive behavior, speech and non verbal communication. There are many different types. Everyone does not have the same experience with autism. There are some who are much more disabled than others.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  207
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

I have aspergers (my doctor suggested I might have it when I was around 25), which explained a lot of things as I used to be very confused as to why I couldn't engaged in group conversations when I was younger, that was explained by the sensory overload you cite, my brain basically shuts down when too many things start happening at once.  

I actually don't mind having aspergers, but I would say nearly all social experiences growing up were negative, this world is not very nice for aspie males, though the girls fare much better as they retain a childlike quality that men find endearing in women.

I do hope that God does not take away my autism if/when i enter heaven, it's a part of me and I've come to like it.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

4 minutes ago, secretopossumcabal said:

I have aspergers (my doctor suggested I might have it when I was around 25), which explained a lot of things as I used to be very confused as to why I couldn't engaged in group conversations when I was younger, that was explained by the sensory overload you cite, my brain basically shuts down when too many things start happening at once.  

I actually don't mind having aspergers, but I would say nearly all social experiences growing up were negative, this world is not very nice for aspie males, though the girls fare much better as they retain a childlike quality that men find endearing in women.

I do hope that God does not take away my autism if/when i enter heaven, it's a part of me and I've come to like it.  

Most professionals will say that a person is born with autism.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Just now, secretopossumcabal said:

Hi s...possum..

How is aspergers different from autism? or is it part of the spectrum?

regards, Marilyn.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

3 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Most professionals will say that a person is born with autism.

Good point,  if one remembers what Jesus says about the world system currently being compelled under the beast.  And what Jesus Says about "professionals" (both religious and secular, of the world)  .