• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

Just now, missmuffet said:

Most professionals will say that a person is born with autism.

As I heard once MM, there is no 'normal' and everyone has some autism in them, others more and complex.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Re: 9 Routine
In kids this can be waking up at the same time, need to know the schedule, need time transitioning from one thing to the next, resistance to change, eating the same foods, wearing the same clothes, etc.

Examples of this in adults can be parking in the same spot every day, taking the same route to work, going to bed or waking up at a specific time, etc. Breaking that routine can cause distress, anxiety, frustration, and anger. That’s a description of me to the T. Lol :) 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  207
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

21 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Most professionals will say that a person is born with autism.

They also say it correlates with old sperm, my father had me in his mid-forties and I'm the last of 4 siblings, none of them have it except for me.  

22 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi s...possum..

How is aspergers different from autism? or is it part of the spectrum?

regards, Marilyn.

Yes it's a spectrum, aspergers is on the lighter side of it, we can be pretty functional if raised properly, but people with more severe forms of autism have it a lot worse.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, GoldenEagle said:

Re: 9 Routine
In kids this can be waking up at the same time, need to know the schedule, need time transitioning from one thing to the next, resistance to change, eating the same foods, wearing the same clothes, etc. Examples of this in adults can be parking in the same spot every day, taking the same route to work, going to bed or waking up at a specific time, etc. Breaking that routine can cause distress, anxiety, frustration, and anger. That’s a description of me to the T. Lol :) 

Lol, I relate to that:)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.84
  • Days Won:  226

23 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

As I heard once MM, there is no 'normal' and everyone has some autism in them, others more and complex.

Everyone has some autism in them? I have never heard of that. Although I think millions have some OCD in them. They just never have a serious problem with it to the point that it disturbs their everyday life.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.84
  • Days Won:  226

15 minutes ago, secretopossumcabal said:

They also say it correlates with old sperm, my father had me in his mid-forties and I'm the last of 4 siblings, none of them have it except for me.  

Yes it's a spectrum, aspergers is on the lighter side of it, we can be pretty functional if raised properly, but people with more severe forms of autism have it a lot worse.

There are a lot of professional "opinions" on what causes autism.

51 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi s...possum..

How is aspergers different from autism? or is it part of the spectrum?

regards, Marilyn.

The American Psychiatric Association (APA) decided in 2013 to remove the term Aspergers. Instead, a person is called high functioning autistic in the USA. Around the world the term Aspergers is still used.

See https://www.parents.com/health/autism/what-happened-to-aspergers/

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, secretopossumcabal said:

Interesting because I was the first born in my family. My father was in his mid 20s. Personally, I think it’s more hereditary. A person is born with autism. 

Both my parents exhibit milder traits of autism. My paternal grandfather certainly is autistic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

I encountered one person with autism who suffered it as a result of shaken child syndrome.  He also had seizures that made the condition worse each time he had one.  It was puzzling and tragic.  I had wondered if he had undiagnosed autism at least to a degree prior to the incident.  Usually it is recessive genetic, or something of the sort.  It runs in families quite often.

Most other children had improved with therapy and maturation, and it has been very rewarding to watch.  

And yes, GE, most don't like change.  To one I had given a "noisy book"--a see and say type book with folk songs.  He loved Waltzing Matilda.  But they apparently started singing it in his music class and he was having a fit each time.  Mystery solved.  Music teacher heard his noisy book version while we were on a field trip, but it differed a little from the original causing great rage in the student who is a gifted musician.

One of my asperger's students was preoccupied with things and gadgets, continually asking about them--what is that, what does it do?  Another had not spoken once in the several years I worked with him.  Then one day a fire truck came to a stream to tank up with water and the student asked me if we could go and watch.  So we did, from a safe distance, and we had quite a conversation.  I enjoyed most of the kids.

My next door neighbor has autism and is excelling in college.  He has been taking my garbage cans out to the street and bringing them back for me.  I stuck my head out the door to thank him again, and he was beaming, gave me a big hug, and we talked about school for a bit.  He is a genius in math.  Cool kid.  But he was non verbal in his earlier years.  I have known him for over 5.  

We have a few other people on Worthy who have it, some severe.  

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Everyone has some autism in them? I have never heard of that. Although I think millions have some OCD in them. They just never have a serious problem with it to the point that it disturbs their everyday life.

Some autism as in routines, fixations, refrain from touching  etc but it doesn't interfere with living a so called 'normal' existence.

May be OCD sits under the autism umbrella? It wouldn't surprise me.