• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

15 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Autism is a condition of the brain that challenges social skills, repetitive behavior, speech and non verbal communication. There are many different types. Everyone does not have the same experience with autism. There are some who are much more disabled than others.

@missmuffet I would agree with you. What used to be known as Asperger's syndrome (high functioning) and classic autism can be very different indeed.

God bless,
GE

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,858
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

8 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

See I don't think autism is something that needs to be cured. Some of the symptoms can be minimized but left handed people should not be expected to act or conform to right handed standards.

It wasn't until 1991 that "the federal government makes autism a special education category. Public schools begin identifying children on the spectrum and offering them special services."

It wasn't until 1994 that the separate condition called Asperger's Syndrome was officially considered to be a milder form of Autism. 

Then in 2013, it became officially understood that autism is a spectrum that not only includes the above but also people who "seem normal" but actually do have challenges that fit the categories also under the Autism Spectrum Disorder umbrella.

This page shows a timeline of the discovery-categorization of autism and its progressive understanding:
https://www.parents.com/health/autism/the-history-of-autism/ 

We'll depends on the severity, some are mild to sever, my friend son is pretty sever and he has started a new diet program and is having success as well.

ive read that the vaccines for infants has had effects, autism is growing at a alarming rate.

Edited by BeyondET
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, simplejeff said:

Good point,  if one remembers what Jesus says about the world system currently being compelled under the beast.  And what Jesus Says about "professionals" (both religious and secular, of the world)  .

@simplejeff I don't see how this is relevant to the topic at hand. I've found that there are really at least 5 types of responses when it comes to autism. There may be more but these are the ones I've seen.

Indifference. People who have this view are not affected by autism and don't really care to pursue the topic.

Denial. People who have this view typically try to explain away autism and deny the existence of any such mental health challenge.

Resistance. People who have this view are typically strong vocalists against autism. The tendency is argue that all things are a result of moral choice.

Gradual Acceptance. People who have this view eventually come around to understand autism as a mental health challenge. 

Complete Acceptance. People who have this view learn about autism and embrace the idea that autism is a mental health challenge.

Then even those who accept autism as a mental health challenge view autism in one of two ways:

A. A way to explain how people are different and help them learn to cope/overcome 

OR 

B. a disease that needs to be cured. 

15 hours ago, HisFirst said:

As I heard once MM, there is no 'normal' and everyone has some autism in them, others more and complex.

@HisFirst Everyone is on the autistic spectrum to a certain extent. In other words, people may exhibit signs of autism. It's a combination of maybe 7-8 or more of those signs that leads to a diagnosis of ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). 

Also, people with autism tend to be very good at 1-3 things (say for example math skills, science skills, solving puzzles, computer skills, engineering skills, etc.) and rather below average on 1-5 others (say for example socializing with others, communication, empathizing with people, over empathizing with people, understanding social queues, etc.). 

God bless,
GE

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

Seek YHWH'S KINGDOM every day.  Keep seeking His Kingdom, as His Written Word Says FEW FIND IT. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

It's interesting that people with aspergers / high functioning autism tend to be drawn to computer and science fields.  Their 'condition' frequently gives them the ability to do spatial thinking and problem solving and levels beyond most, so those people can at times do brilliant work.  Microsoft and Google recruit these people specifically and provide special environments to them to facilitate their work.  

Do math savants have a type of aspergers?  If this could be 'fixed' in children, how would that affect the world?  What if we lost the top 5% research scientists in the world because the medical field decided aspergers was an issue that should always be addressed as a child?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

8 hours ago, Neighbor said:

How do I view autism? Well, I view the whole subject of similar disorders as  a serious issue, one not to be taken lightly nor answered with a few quick facts nor a verse snapped out of the Bible as an answer to a wide spectrum of differences that  become clinically diagnosed and treated, often with  not a whole lot of success.

The question might be why, rather than what or how?  Why is it happening today?

The various diagnosis' is epidemic if not the issue itself. There is great encouragement to spread the diagnosis'. For there is profit in it. Children are to be cookie cutter alike. If they are not they tend to get diagnosed and drugs are prescribed as a solution. Doctors, home visit personnel, drug stores, school psychologists, and even parents, all get paid each month  once a diagnosis is made. More than half my tenants had their kids diagnosed so that they would receive $500 a month in government program benefits. It is terrible, they then drugged their kids for school each day.

Public schools tell parents to go seek a place for their kid that handles the problem their kid is diagnosed with,  if the kid is not drugged to be compliant in school. Public schools do not work to blend in kids that are  "different". With common core  and teaching to the tests it has gotten far worse.

There is some anecdotal evidence, lots of it, that kids especially boys are having a harder time today learning. It seems they do not develop left side brain skills. They are working  with primarily fight or flight right side brain skill.  

Cognitive reasoning  left brain skill is slow to develop. Why? Again, there is  strong (Anecdotal) indication that video games are a factor. There is need for hand eye coordination that is missing from young kids  lives today. This thought is based upon the clinics, and books of Dr. Melillo, actually my own very limited understanding of it. All I know is the programs that force physical manipulation and thinking at the same time helps children at school that have had problems, and that the "Brain Balance"  books and at least one clinic of Dr. Melillo does some work that ends up in quite positive results. It is an expensive process.

Just a a personal observation; I think there is so little contact between mother and child today that  kids  are without the stimulation  previous generations enjoyed and flourished under. Let me give an example. Last week I watched a nice young mom come into the chiropractor's office cell phone in hand texting while pushing her young daughter  in a stroller who was not yet speaking real words but was holding an Ipad and tapping on it as it played some toddlers music with images.  The mom sat down with the stroller containing her daughter facing her as she continued to text and her daughter continued to tap. She never picked up her daughter, never played with her, never even spoke to her. She just tapped on her cellhone as her daughter punched at her own flatscreen too. THERE WAS NEVER ANY INTERACTION BETWEEN THEM!

Also, kids do not get to be themselves, they do not get to run and play on their own, instead parents are scared to death  for their children in this world so they don't let them go run about and explore. They instead are heliocopter parents, taking their kids to events that are organized and require the kids to be much alike the other kids all with their own heliocopter parent about. The parents worry about their child's success from the get go, they worry if they are "behind". Schools force home study on kindergarteners and first grade school kids- the kids are always "on stage" always having to perform to a standard. They cannot be themselves, it is not allowed. Young kids have to arrange formal play dates, approved by their parents who are desperate themselves for their kid to have some play time. Parents then arrange their kid's play  chaperoning a playdate.

@Neighbor Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is indeed spectrum. As such, some may never be diagnosed. A storm is wind blowing very hard. Depending on definitions and whether you live in a tree or underground the amount of perceived storm days may differ. Yes autism may show more nowadays, but it need not be over diagnosed. Culture, increased knowledge, and acceptance of ASD will no doubt lead to more diagnosis. Yet not necessarily over diagnosis.

We know more today about the human body and brain today than we did 100 years ago in the early 1900s. In 100 years from now imagine what we will know about the human body and brain then.

Yes, it is healthy to signal this increase and ask ourselves why. The fundamental problem may not lie in the diagnosis, but more in demands of society nowadays, combined with an increased acceptance (or need) to discuss what this means to some of us on the spectrum. Rather then being skeptical I would rather encourage people to being scientifically and culturally interested in the growth of diagnosis.

A CDC study “National Health Statistic Report” in November 2015 of the data from 2014 in comparison to 2011-2013 produced some interesting results. The new data found that 1 out of 45 or 2.24% were ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). 

As an aside... From what I read most countries will have 1-3% of their population on the ASD spectrum. 

“The estimated ASD prevalence was 2.24% (1 in 45) in 2014, while averaging 1.25% (1 in 80) from 2011 through 2013—a significant increase.”

“Despite changes to the prevalence of ASD and other DD, the overall prevalence of children with either ASD or other DD did not change between 2011–2013 (5.26%) and 2014 (5.30%). Similarly, the prevalence of children
with any of the three conditions (ID, ASD, or other DD) in 2011–2013 (5.75%) and 2014 (5.76%) did not differ significantly.”

see https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr087.pdf

God bless,
GE

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Jayne said:

Having taught school for over three decades, I worked with several autistic students and my brother is on the spectrum.  Autistic people tend to be withdrawn and have trouble socially, but are also very bright and have skills that they are definitely very good at.  It's a real thing  - a very real thing.

Everyone has their opinion on these things and we won't change each other's minds.

@Jayne it was through discussions like these that I indeed changed my mind on the subject. I used to view autism in the classic sense of what most people think of autism: challenges communicating verbally, issues with stemming like banging head on walls or screaming, challenges with having to wear diapers well past the "normal" age, etc.

Yet that only describes severe autism.

There are many people who are not severely challenged that have autism that struggle with social anxiety, need routine, have sensory challenges, etc. 

God bless,
GE

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,858
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

44 minutes ago, bryan said:

It's interesting that people with aspergers / high functioning autism tend to be drawn to computer and science fields.  Their 'condition' frequently gives them the ability to do spatial thinking and problem solving and levels beyond most, so those people can at times do brilliant work.  Microsoft and Google recruit these people specifically and provide special environments to them to facilitate their work.  

Do math savants have a type of aspergers?  If this could be 'fixed' in children, how would that affect the world?  What if we lost the top 5% research scientists in the world because the medical field decided aspergers was an issue that should always be addressed as a child?

Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton also had autism According to autism expert Simon Baron-Cohen, but there is nothing that says autism causes increased IQ, I think the IQ levels the person is born with rather autism or not.

Edited by BeyondET
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

1 hour ago, GoldenEagle said:

Do you exhibit some of the signs mentioned in the OP?

Yes.

Perhaps displaying some of the signs of autism is a better description?

OK.

Are you saying that people who speak about autism are lying?

The world and people greatly discourages people to overcome their problems through faith.

Just because I find difficult in doing many things it does not mean I cannot do it, and I know that it is possible to overcome through faith and love, because I can feel it.

And I know I could be living in the same way other people do, if I had the faith to believe and to live like normal people.

And why am I not? Because I am still lacking faith, and I admit it. And it confirms what the Lord has said to be true:

"Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.”" - Mark 9:23

But I feel I should not simply forget about it and give up, actually I started to enjoy the obstacles that come, so that I can overcome them by love and through faith in Christ.

It is good because it brings me closer to the Lord, and during all day His name is exalted, and the Father is glorified.

"And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.”
Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9

I know that if I had the faith and asked: "Lord, just fix this and make myself like other people."

But do I have the faith to ask and to receive it? Well, I admit I do not. Because when I think about it I have a fear that it may become true, and it may happen overnight, and I do not know how I would react to this, then I cannot ask for it.

But for today, to trust in Him to overcome the challenges imposed, and suffering to grow each day feels much better.

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." - Romans 8:28

And by having the confidence that I should fight all things that try to stop me, and do not let myself to be stopped by the evil forces of this world but to overcome them through the power of the Lord Jesus.

"Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions,
and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you." - Luke 10:19

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

It is always best to have God in our lives when suffering physical or mental illnesses or neurological illnesses. He is the great psychiatrist and the great physician.

• Thumbs Up 3