• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

3 hours ago, Yowm said:

After reading this thread it seems to me that autism/asperger is a label that we assign to a person because our psychological studies are light years behind God's intricate design...and if you take into account  the Fall, we are all autistic relative to Adam before the Fall. IOW 'autism' is a relatively relative term.

@Yowmthis is a very simplistic and inaccurate view of autism spectrum disorder. We are not all autistic. Autism is not a relatively relative term. 

A person who is tested for autism goes through a variety of tests. This sometimes includes an IQ test, speech test, and a multitude of other tests. I will list some below. 

When diagnosing ASD, professionals like psychiatrists and psychologists will refer to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5).

Some of the other tests and screening measures that can help in the diagnosis of ASD include:

• Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule, Second Edition (ADOS)
  • Autism Diagnostic Interview, Revised (ADI-R)
  • Childhood Autism Rating Scales, Second Edition (CARS-2)
  • Modified Checklist for Autism in Toddlers (M-CHAT)
  • Developmental Behaviour Checklist (DBC)
  • Social Communication Questionnaire (SCQ)
  • Psycho Educational Profile – Third Edition (PEP-3)
  • Autism Behaviour Checklist (ABC).

I'll also ask specifically my therapist the process on how she diagnosed me, my eldest son, and my wife.

God bless,
GE

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

On 1/13/2018 at 4:51 PM, GoldenEagle said:

How do you view autism? Do you know anyone who is autistic?

God bless,
GE

These are 12 of my own observations 1. in my life (as a person with mild to moderate Autism Spectrum Disorder or Aspergers), 2. in my family (my son has the same diagnosis and my wife is Mild ASD), and 3. in the lives of those I know (family and friends on the spectrum).

1. Empathy
• Have trouble understanding other people’s feelings or talking about their own feelings. OR may be an empath taking on the burdens and trials of others.

2. Non-verbal Communication
• Have a hard time understanding body language (or social queues).

3. Eye Contact
• Avoid or have a hard time with eye contact.

4. Socialization
• Want to be alone; or want to interact with others but may not be sure how to do so.
• Have a hard time making {close} friends. In some cases may have plenty or very few acquaintances though.
• Have a hard time (nervousness or anxiety) in social settings.

5. Interests 
• Have narrow, sometimes obsessive interests. In autistic circles these can be called special interests or hobbies.

6. Self Focus
• Talk about themselves or their interests (sometimes for long periods of time and expect others to be interested in those too)

7. Speech 
• Speak in unusual ways or with an odd tone of voice. 
• May have delayed speech and use sounds/signs instead of words to communicate.

8. Body Control
• May be clumsy or awkward.
• May have odd or repetitive movements.
• May have a hard time controlling urination or bowel movements.

9. Routine
• Have a need for a very fixed routine.

10. Sensory Challenges
• Can have extreme reactions to one or more senses including lighting, sound, touch, taste, and smell. This can lead to headaches, sensory overload, melt downs, etc. 

11. Strengths and Weaknesses
• Many people with autism are exceedingly strong in certain areas (math, science, computers, etc) and weak in others (communication, social graces, etc).

12. Brain Information Overload
• Similar to sensory challenges only has to do with too much information for the autistic brain to handle. With too much to juggle at once the brain short circuits and the person has a hard time concentrating, speaking clearly, or thinking clearly.

I feel like 90% or more of that is my life story, but I have never been diagnosed with anything.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,332
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

I have high functioning autism.  I have trouble with some of the things you mentioned but not all of them describe me.  This site has some good resources and information if you are interested:

https://www.autismforums.com/

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

Then there is Savant. A rare autistic disorder. Dustin Hoffman in the movie " Rain Man" had Savant.

• 3 weeks later...

On 1/15/2018 at 10:33 PM, gerbilwoman said:

I have high functioning autism.  I have trouble with some of the things you mentioned but not all of them describe me.  This site has some good resources and information if you are interested:

https://www.autismforums.com/

Thanks! I’ll check it out. I really enjoy Chris Bonello’s site  http://autisticnotweird.com/

You can also find Autistic Not Weird on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/autisticnotweird/

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/15/2018 at 4:39 PM, Yowm said:

So you don't think there is a continuum from highly autistic to mild?

Do you really believe this is a hard science where nothing is relative or do you believe this is a social science where there are varying opinions and calls?

I believe Autism is a spectrum. Some people can be autistic in a more severe manner (unable to speak, not control body functions, etc), others moderate, and even mild (Aspergers or High Functioning). However, not everyone is autistic. 

You’d need to clarify what you mean by “hard science.” We have learned more about the human brain in the last 15-30 years than in the last few centuries. Imagine what we will know in another few decades. 

God bless,

GE

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,332
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

4 hours ago, GoldenEagle said:

Thanks! I’ll check it out. I really enjoy Chris Bonello’s site  http://autisticnotweird.com/

You can also find Autistic Not Weird on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/autisticnotweird/

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Content Count:  166
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Epilepsy is related to autism, is actually very similar in a lot of ways. There is mention of epilepsy in the bible in the gospels. 

Mark 9:14-29 this is a spirit of epilepsy.

It is common that water can set epilepsy off, as in this passage of scripture. 

My mother looks after a boy with autism and his behavior at times is the same as demonic possession.

When those with autism have fits they try hurting themselves which is spirit trying to tear them and injure them, they are also very violent and abusive.

Not trying to hurt peoples feelings, just stating the facts. 

Epilepsy IS a demonic spirit and autism is also. 

The other thing to remember is a demonic spirit in someone it is quite possible for their brain chemistry to change to make it appear as if it's brain related when it actually isn't .

I'm not talking about when it is caused by an accident or actual physical injury, only when no physical causes are present. 

I've known many people who were classed as having a brain disability when in actual fact it was a demon.

Hope this helps.

• Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Content Count:  166
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

A quote from a page on epilepsy and autism "up to 30% of individuals with autism are also diagnosed with epilepsy, but electroencephalograms show epileptiform activity - unusual brain wave patterns - in more than half of those with autism who don't have clinical seizures, says Cook."

Unusual brain waves???

Actually reading a demonic spirit.

Oh my 

" those studies in Sweden and Denmark found that individuals with autism are more likely to die of seizures, nervous system dysfunction AND drowning."

Interesting that's the same as the boy Jesus healed, casting the demonic spirit out of, the spirit would throw him in the water to drown him.

6 hours ago, DJ7 said:

Epilepsy is related to autism, is actually very similar in a lot of ways. There is mention of epilepsy in the bible in the gospels. 

Mark 9:14-29 this is a spirit of epilepsy.

It is common that water can set epilepsy off, as in this passage of scripture. 

My mother looks after a boy with autism and his behavior at times is the same as demonic possession.

When those with autism have fits they try hurting themselves which is spirit trying to tear them and injure them, they are also very violent and abusive.

Not trying to hurt peoples feelings, just stating the facts. 

Epilepsy IS a demonic spirit and autism is also. 

The other thing to remember is a demonic spirit in someone it is quite possible for their brain chemistry to change to make it appear as if it's brain related when it actually isn't .

I'm not talking about when it is caused by an accident or actual physical injury, only when no physical causes are present. 

I've known many people who were classed as having a brain disability when in actual fact it was a demon.

Hope this helps.

Epilepsy can be defined as a neurological disorder marked by sudden recurrent episodes of sensory disturbance, loss of consciousness, or convulsions, associated with abnormal electrical activity in the brain.

Epilepsy (seizure disorder): When nerve cells in the brain fire electrical impulses at a rate of up to four times higher than normal, this causes a sort of electrical storm in the brain, known as a seizure. A pattern of repeated seizures is referred to as epilepsy. Known causes include head injuries, brain tumors, lead poisoning, maldevelopment of the brain, genetic and infectious illnesses. But in fully half of cases, no cause can be found. Medication controls seizures for the majority of patients.

Source: https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=3285

To equate autism with demonic possession is just wrong and yes it is insulting. Are we living in the middle ages?

You are not stating facts you are making conjectures with little to no evidence to back it up. What links can you share that point to such a claim? What evidence do you have that epilepsy is demonic and autism is also?

No, this is not helpful. It is the exact opposite of that. You are spreading misinformation and in fact doing a disservice to anyone who has Autism or Epilepsy. Many people who have these conditions are God-fearing people and love Jesus.

Sorry my friend but you are simply wrong.

God bless,
GE

• Thumbs Up 3