• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/05/1985

Honestly Christian or not I don't see there being a problem with finding something to celebrate in a wholesome way. We have a tree up, the kids enjoy getting presents from santa, making cookies, singing carols etc. Lots of family togetherness during the holidays for us even though it's not heavily focused on religion. We're also not worshiping our Christmas tree or anything like that. 

Seems pretty scrooge-ish (pun intended) to bash on celebrating Christmas to me, especially when it's more about getting together with others and enjoying family & friends. 

Let's see if we can keep this thread rolling until December 2018!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.13
  • Days Won:  78

5 minutes ago, Oh Hamburgers! said:

Honestly Christian or not I don't see there being a problem with finding something to celebrate in a wholesome way. We have a tree up, the kids enjoy getting presents from santa, making cookies, singing carols etc. Lots of family togetherness during the holidays for us even though it's not heavily focused on religion. We're also not worshiping our Christmas tree or anything like that. 

Seems pretty scrooge-ish (pun intended) to bash on celebrating Christmas to me, especially when it's more about getting together with others and enjoying family & friends. 

Let's see if we can keep this thread rolling until December 2018!

Those who consider themselves holier than everyone else peddle the idea that anything they say is pagan shouldn't be followed by others.  It's mostly an SDA thing.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

Definition:

What is a pagan? What is paganism? - Got Questions

These modern “pagan” practices are actually similar to their ancient counterparts in that they rely heavily on hedonism—sensual gratification and self-indulgence and the pursuit of happiness and pleasure to the exclusion of everything else. In ancient times, sexual ceremonies were a major part of pagan religions. The Old ...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  463
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

On 1/16/2018 at 4:01 PM, Justin Adams said:

The 25th December is the SUN-god day that the romans used for their pantheistic friends.

The sun-day worship of the church is also roman in origin. No, it is not first century either, it is well documented so please do not trundle out the over used texts to refute this. Rome changed it and is proud of the fact the protestants followed their authority in the matter. They mock the protestants over this as well.

I'm a protestant, so thanks for not arguing with me on this issue.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  2,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/05/1985

1 hour ago, simplejeff said:

Definition:

What is a pagan? What is paganism? - Got Questions

These modern “pagan” practices are actually similar to their ancient counterparts in that they rely heavily on hedonism—sensual gratification and self-indulgence and the pursuit of happiness and pleasure to the exclusion of everything else. In ancient times, sexual ceremonies were a major part of pagan religions. The Old ...

So that's a 'no' to celebrating Christmas from you? Bah, humbug! 

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  903
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

I have no problem with legalists per se. If they want to try keeping all 613 OT commandments, more power to 'em (but here's a hint: if they break just one, they've broken them all, so there is that).

My concern is some of them allude--and some outright say--that if I don't do as they do, then my salvation is suspect.

There's where we part ways

2 minutes ago, John Robinson said:

If they want to try keeping all 613 OT commandments, more power to 'em (but here's a hint: if they break just one, they've broken them all, so there is that).

For just a little child, or a regular person, (not a legalist) , So what ?   (so what if they break them all) Isn't that what non-legalists do also ?  < shrugs > So what then,  what difference will it make if they break them all  ?

p.s. no,  not advocating breaking them all, nor any of them, willingly or wittingly.  Rather,  do what is right,  do what is best,  do what Jesus does, as He says;  right ?

5 minutes ago, John Robinson said:

My concern is some of them allude--and some outright say--that if I don't do as they do, then my salvation is suspect.

Does it matter at all what you do or don't do ?   Isn't your salvation subject to testing anyway (as Scripture says somewhere yourself  (or yourselves, one another in Christ) somewhere) 

from now until judgment day ?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  02/16/1993

From the findings I have researched there is definitely a strong history of Pagan themes involving the worshipping of trees, and such that is intermingled into what we know as worldly "Christmas".  I am still researching this topic as I truly want to celebrate the Godliness in Christmas and Christ's birth.  

I'd like to know more about this topic if anyone would like to study it with me. 

My takeaway so far is this; Jesus was born unto this earth, and that surely should be celebrated. We may not know the exact date He was born, but we know that He WAS.  I do not worship Christmas trees. I do not worship Santa Claus or elves or make offerings to a tree.  The intention to praise God and Jesus and the sincerity of heart when celebrating Jesus' birth is the defining factor here.  Where does our heart lie in this matter?  God can be at the center of every celebration whether you choose to celebrate simply by prayer and pondering God's love for us, or you delight in the beauty of snowfall, beautiful twinkling light displays, joyful holy music, and being with family. are all very comforting parts of Christmas celebrations.  Grateful hearts and minds for the blessing of Jesus.  It should all be for Him and about Him. 

Audrey

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest shiloh357
5 minutes ago, AudreyGrey said:

From the findings I have researched there is definitely a strong history of Pagan themes involving the worshipping of trees, and such that is intermingled into what we know as worldly "Christmas".  I am still researching this topic as I truly want to celebrate the Godliness in Christmas and Christ's birth.  

I'd like to know more about this topic if anyone would like to study it with me. 

My takeaway so far is this; Jesus was born unto this earth, and that surely should be celebrated. We may not know the exact date He was born, but we know that He WAS.  I do not worship Christmas trees. I do not worship Santa Claus or elves or make offerings to a tree.  The intention to praise God and Jesus and the sincerity of heart when celebrating Jesus' birth is the defining factor here.  Where does our heart lie in this matter?  God can be at the center of every celebration whether you choose to celebrate simply by prayer and pondering God's love for us, or you delight in the beauty of snowfall, beautiful twinkling light displays, joyful holy music, and being with family. are all very comforting parts of Christmas celebrations.  Grateful hearts and minds for the blessing of Jesus.  It should all be for Him and about Him. 

Audrey

A lot of the stuff about Christmas being "pagan"  comes from junk history and conspiracy theories and not credible sources.  There are also a lo of false correlations that are made, as well.