IGNORED

I was asked a question. Why wasnt Paul healed.

HAZARD

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,868
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

an infirmity of temperament, can be quite a thorn indeed.

• 2 years later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Hello missmuffet, 

it is important to stay in the boundaries of the biblical teachings, and not to go beyond them, you have exhibited a couple of errors, and I will point them to you, so that you will allow the Holy Spirit of the Most High God to further work on you and fix your mistakes, which we all make as humans, but need to learn from and not repeat; so repent. 

On 1/16/2018 at 9:22 PM, missmuffet said:

Many will not be healed of their pain and suffering physically and mentally while on this earth.Paul had a "thorn in his side" and yes this was a physical burden. God did not heal Paul because he did not want him to become conceited. He wanted to keep him humble. Paul learned that God's "power is made perfect in weakness". God has a purpose for pain and suffering and His grace is sufficient.

2 Corinthians 12: 6-10 Lexham English Bible (LEB)
For if I want to boast, I will not be foolish, because I will be telling the truth, but I am refraining, so that no one can credit to me more than what he sees in me or hears anything from me, even because of the extraordinary degree of the revelations.

Note: if Paul wanted to boast, he would not be foolish, because he would be telling the truth, but he is refraining from boasting (Definition: excessively proud and self-satisfied talk about one's achievements, possessions, or abilities), so that no one will credit to Paul more than what he sees in Paul, or hears from Paul.
So the problem is boasting.

Therefore (note: "therefore" comes after the reasons being mentioned; in this case boasting), 
so that I would not exalt myself (note: this is the reason of the following statement),

a thorn in the flesh was given to me (note: this expression is a Jewish idiom, used also in Numbers 33:55, you will see its actual meaning, when I write the verse later on)

a messenger of Satan, (note: now you know what the "thorn in the flesh" of Paul is; an actual messenger of Satan, a fallen spirit, a worker of darkness)

in order that it would torment me (note: now the reason is stated for the previous statement "a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan was given to me")
so that I would not exalt myself. (note: this is the reason of the previous statement "it would torment me"),

Note: let me summarize this up for you, so that you will understand it better. 
Let's start from the beginning, even if Paul wanted to boast, with it being true, he is refraining from boasting, and for that to happen, for Paul to refrain from boasting, God did something: God sent Paul a messenger of Satan to torment him, so that he would not exalt himself by boasting.

Now to the expression that seemed difficult for you to understand, "thorn in the flesh", can be found explained in Numbers 33:55, as follows: 

Then Yahweh spoke to Moses on the desert-plateau of Moab by the Jordan across Jericho, saying, “Speak to the Israelites and say to them, ‘When you cross the Jordan into the land of Canaan, you will drive out the inhabitants of the land from your presence, and you will destroy all their idols and all the images of their molten idols, and you will demolish all their high places; you will dispossess the land and live in it because I have given the land to you to possess it. You will distribute the land by lot according to your clans; to the larger group you will give a larger inheritance, and to the smaller group you will give less inheritance. However the lot falls for him, there the lot will be. You will distribute it according to the tribes of your ancestorsBut if you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land from your presence, then it will happen that whomever you let remain of them will be like irritants in your eyes and like thorns in your sides; they will be your enemies in the land in which you live. And just as I planned to do to them, I will do to you.’”

Note: so the inhabitants of the land Canaan, which the LORD Yahweh was giving to the Israelites, were to be driven out from the Isrealites' presence, but if the inhabitants of the land of Canaan were not driven out from the Isrealites' presence, then the remaining inhabitants of the land of Canaan will be like thorns in the sides of the Israealites.
So in this case unclean humans were the thorns in the sides of the Israelites.
But in Paul's case, an unclean spirit was the thorn in the flesh of the Israelite Paul.

Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would depart from me. And he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, because the power is perfected in weakness.” Therefore rather I will boast most gladly in my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may reside in me. Therefore I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in calamities, in persecutions and difficulties for the sake of Christ, for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.

Note: three times Paul has appealed to the LORD Yahweh to remove the messenger of Satan, that is tormenting Paul; "the thorn" in Paul's "flesh", but the LORD Yahweh has said "My grace is sufficient for you, because the power is perfected in weakness", so Paul has now learned to "boast most gladly in his weakness, in order that the power of Christ may reside in him", so Paul has changed from boasting in his accomplishments, as we have read in verse 6, to now boasting in his weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may reside in him, because when he recognizes that he is weak, he becomes humble, and God's power works perfectly in humble people, not boastful and arrogant people.

So now Paul delights in weaknesses, insults, calamities, persecutions and difficulties for Christ's sake, because when Paul recognizes that he is weak, he becomes strong (from Christ's Power residing in him). Amen.

This is the first error here, the "burden" that Paul had was not a "physical burden", but an actual angel of the devil tormenting him, so that he will not be boastful, becomes instead humble, and realizes that only by being humble will God's full power work in him.

On 1/16/2018 at 10:41 PM, missmuffet said:

The Bible tells us that Paul suffered a "thorn in the side" so we trust God's word. We do not question it. The Bible is silent on what Paul suffered. We need to accept that.

The Bible also explained what the thorn in the flesh of Paul was, so we need to open our spiritual eyes and let the Holy Spirit of the Most High teach us.

If you do not know something, it is best to keep quiet, as Paul teaches you to do, by the Lord's command.

I (Paul) was appointed (by God) a herald and an apostle—I am speaking the truth, I am not lying—a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

What are the truth and the faith, to which Paul was assigned to teach?

1. The women should adorn themselves in appropriate clothing, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold jewelry or pearls or expensive clothing.
2. A woman must learn in quietness with all submission.
3. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.

These are the rules of the Lord, who appointed Paul as a herald and an apostle, so that Paul would teach the newcomers, the non-Jews, to follow as guidelines in their newfound faith and in the truth.

Paul also gives a rule for men in this Epistle:

1. I want the men in every place to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger and dispute.

As the rule to the men is universal in application, so is the rule to the women universal in application, especially with the reason given to the rules to women:

1. Adam was formed first, then Eve.
2. Adam was not deceived, but the woman, because she was deceived, came into transgression.

The forward going path for the woman after her transgression:

1. She will be saved through the bearing of children, if she continues in faith and love and holiness with self-control.

Therefore, as a follower of Christ, do as His herald and apostle has commanded, and walk in faith, love, holiness and self-control, while bearing children as your means to be saved, as your works to your faith, because faith without works is dead and can not save, so children will be the thing that you have contributed to society, or better said, to the body of Christ, bringing life into it, loving it, caring for it, and teaching the younger life faith, love, holiness and self-control, because you already ought to have these characteristics in your soul as a woman, walking according to the LORD's commands, iterated by his herald and apostle, Paul.

On 1/17/2018 at 12:11 AM, missmuffet said:

We do not know what the thorn in the side was that Paul had to deal with. The Bible is silent on that. We need to respect when the Bible is silent on a topic. God would tell us if he wanted us to know.

God has already told us, open your eyes and listen to the Holy Spirit of God.

A thorn in the flesh = a messenger of Satan.

On 1/17/2018 at 12:23 AM, missmuffet said:

No,that does not tell you what the disorder was that Paul suffered.

On 1/17/2018 at 12:59 AM, missmuffet said:

You are giving the word of God your own meaning. That is a dangerous thing to do. No God does not give us the information of exactly what the ailment was of Paul and the thorn in the side.

You accuse him, as the devil Accuser does the brethren, of giving the Words of God his own meaning, when you have done this thrice, once before by adding that Paul suffered a disorder, now by adding that Paul suffered an ailment, and in your following comment, by giving a fully absurd reason as to why God has sent a messenger of Satan to torment Paul. 'God showed Paul a vision of heaven, so God gave him a messenger of Satan to torment him.'
Please, open your spiritual eyes, and let God teach you, become humble, as Paul was taught to become, so that Christ's power may reside in him.

On 1/19/2018 at 12:37 AM, missmuffet said:

Paul was given this thorn because he was blessed with a vision of heaven that God gave him 2 Corinthians 12:1-6. Because God gave him this very rare experience He did not want him to boast or be conceited. There can be many speculations but no one knows what the ailment was.

Falsehood.
(Who spreads falsehoods but the devil's agent, with the devil being the father of all lies and all liars?
And who spreads truths, but the children of the Way, the Truth and the Life?
Pick a side, and stick with it, walking accordingly to the commandments of it.)

Sadly, now you are giving the word of God your own meaning, yet you accused the brother of doing that in the previous comment.
That is what you would call a hypocrite, a speck in your brother's eye, instead of the beam in your own eye kind of hypocrite.

As I have explained before, Paul was given this thorn, because he was becoming boastful in his achievements, and forgetting about God's power in him doing the work, so God reminded him, by sending him a messenger of the devil, so that Paul would boast not in his achievements, but in his human weakness, so that God's power will reside in his humble body.

May God's light shine over you, teach you to be humble, kind and loving, obedient, and able to listen and understand, and to be wise not in your own ways, but lean on the LORD in everything you do and say, knowing fully that you will give an account to every idle word and every false statement that you give, knowing that 
Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly, and knowing that 
A woman must learn in quietness and full submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; she is to remain quiet.!

The grace of the LORD Yeshua, the companionship of the LORD, the Spirit of Holiness and the love of the LORD YHWH be with you always. <3

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

On 1/16/2018 at 2:07 PM, HAZARD said:

Wayn222e asked a question, "Why wasn't Paul healed.

It was so the power of Christ would reside on him and in him,  as greater.   2nd Corinthians 12:9

"when i am weak, Christ is strong"."

"my Power is made perfect......in weakness".

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,455
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

On 1/16/2018 at 2:07 PM, HAZARD said:

Wayn222e asked a question, "Why wasn't Paul healed.

Hi Wayne222

Because he wasn't sick. 

2 Cor. 12:7, And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

Pauls thorn in the flesh was the "messenger, and angel of Satan>"This angel followed Paul and buffeted him when he was tempted to become exalted. Paul lists in 11:23-27 some of the things that this angel caused him to go through to keep him humble. There is not one disease in the whole list.

2 Cor. 11:  23, Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.

24, Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.

25, Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;

26, In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;

27, In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.

I've studied and debated with myself on exactly what Paul's thorn in the flesh was. For a long time I suspected it was his poor vision and problems with his eyes. The physician Luke no doubt treated his eyes many times, and Paul wrote huge, and was an identifier that it was hand written by him and not his scribe [Col 4:18]. 

No one knows for certain what Paul's thorn was, but I no longer personally suspect it was his vision after much more study. By Paul's own testimony, we know he suffered more in the flesh than any other apostle, possibly even all the apostles combined? Paul was not a witness to Jesus's miracles and ministry. I firmly believe shortly after the Damascus road, Paul was personally tutored by Jesus Himself for about three years in Arabia. Paul got a glimpse of what was in Heaven and what it was like. Paul was given the privilege and honor to reveal some mysteries that were hidden in the Old Testament. One very important one; the mystery of the Harpazo of the church.

Like I said, I don't know but... It now appears to me Paul might have been tempted and troubled with pride and privilege by Satan, and needed to stay humble? The Lord's Grace was sufficient enough to deal with it? 

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

46 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

I've studied and debated with myself on exactly what Paul's thorn in the flesh was. For a long time I suspected it was his poor vision and problems with his eyes. The physician Luke no doubt treated his eyes many times, and Paul wrote huge, and was an identifier that it was hand written by him and not his scribe [Col 4:18]. 

No one knows for certain what Paul's thorn was, but I no longer personally suspect it was his vision after much more study. By Paul's own testimony, we know he suffered more in the flesh than any other apostle, possibly even all the apostles combined? Paul was not a witness to Jesus's miracles and ministry. I firmly believe shortly after the Damascus road, Paul was personally tutored by Jesus Himself for about three years in Arabia. Paul got a glimpse of what was in Heaven and what it was like. Paul was given the privilege and honor to reveal some mysteries that were hidden in the Old Testament. One very important one; the mystery of the Harpazo of the church.

Like I said, I don't know but... It now appears to me Paul might have been tempted and troubled with pride and privilege by Satan, and needed to stay humble? The Lord's Grace was sufficient enough to deal with it? 

After Paul’s conversion, he disappeared into the desert for three years, during which time the Holy Spirit instructed him in the ways of God.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

On 4/18/2020 at 8:10 PM, Jesus my friend said:

2 Corinthians 12: 6-10 Lexham English Bible (LEB)
For if I want to boast, I will not be foolish, because I will be telling the truth, but I am refraining, so that no one can credit to me more than what he sees in me or hears anything from me, even because of the extraordinary degree of the revelations.

Note: if Paul wanted to boast, he would not be foolish, because he would be telling the truth, but he is refraining from boasting (Definition: excessively proud and self-satisfied talk about one's achievements, possessions, or abilities), so that no one will credit to Paul more than what he sees in Paul, or hears from Paul.
So the problem is boasting.

Therefore (note: "therefore" comes after the reasons being mentioned; in this case boasting), 
so that I would not exalt myself (note: this is the reason of the following statement),

a thorn in the flesh was given to me (note: this expression is a Jewish idiom, used also in Numbers 33:55, you will see its actual meaning, when I write the verse later on)

a messenger of Satan, (note: now you know what the "thorn in the flesh" of Paul is; an actual messenger of Satan, a fallen spirit, a worker of darkness)

in order that it would torment me (note: now the reason is stated for the previous statement "a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan was given to me")
so that I would not exalt myself. (note: this is the reason of the previous statement "it would torment me"),

Note: let me summarize this up for you, so that you will understand it better. 
Let's start from the beginning, even if Paul wanted to boast, with it being true, he is refraining from boasting, and for that to happen, for Paul to refrain from boasting, God did something: God sent Paul a messenger of Satan to torment him, so that he would not exalt himself by boasting.

Now to the expression that seemed difficult for you to understand, "thorn in the flesh", can be found explained in Numbers 33:55, as follows: 

Then Yahweh spoke to Moses on the desert-plateau of Moab by the Jordan across Jericho, saying, “Speak to the Israelites and say to them, ‘When you cross the Jordan into the land of Canaan, you will drive out the inhabitants of the land from your presence, and you will destroy all their idols and all the images of their molten idols, and you will demolish all their high places; you will dispossess the land and live in it because I have given the land to you to possess it. You will distribute the land by lot according to your clans; to the larger group you will give a larger inheritance, and to the smaller group you will give less inheritance. However the lot falls for him, there the lot will be. You will distribute it according to the tribes of your ancestorsBut if you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land from your presence, then it will happen that whomever you let remain of them will be like irritants in your eyes and like thorns in your sides; they will be your enemies in the land in which you live. And just as I planned to do to them, I will do to you.’”

Note: so the inhabitants of the land Canaan, which the LORD Yahweh was giving to the Israelites, were to be driven out from the Isrealites' presence, but if the inhabitants of the land of Canaan were not driven out from the Isrealites' presence, then the remaining inhabitants of the land of Canaan will be like thorns in the sides of the Israealites.
So in this case unclean humans were the thorns in the sides of the Israelites.
But in Paul's case, an unclean spirit was the thorn in the flesh of the Israelite Paul.

Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would depart from me. And he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, because the power is perfected in weakness.” Therefore rather I will boast most gladly in my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may reside in me. Therefore I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in calamities, in persecutions and difficulties for the sake of Christ, for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.

Note: three times Paul has appealed to the LORD Yahweh to remove the messenger of Satan, that is tormenting Paul; "the thorn" in Paul's "flesh", but the LORD Yahweh has said "My grace is sufficient for you, because the power is perfected in weakness", so Paul has now learned to "boast most gladly in his weakness, in order that the power of Christ may reside in him", so Paul has changed from boasting in his accomplishments, as we have read in verse 6, to now boasting in his weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may reside in him, because when he recognizes that he is weak, he becomes humble, and God's power works perfectly in humble people, not boastful and arrogant people.

So now Paul delights in weaknesses, insults, calamities, persecutions and difficulties for Christ's sake, because when Paul recognizes that he is weak, he becomes strong (from Christ's Power residing in him). Amen.

The thorn in the side was an actual angel of the devil tormenting him, so that he will not be boastful, becomes instead humble, and realizes that only by being humble will God's full power work in him.

The grace of the LORD Yeshua, the companionship of the LORD, the Spirit of Holiness and the love of the LORD YHWH be with you always. <3

Read this, it explains the thorn in the side.

@Dennis1209

Edited by Jesus my friend
Tagged properly, shortened tagged reply

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Why wasnt Paul healed.

Since the Apostle Paul was not specific about his difficulties though they are expressed as physical infirmity, theologians can only speculate as to what it was. Some feel it could have been a more spiritual matter. We honestly do not know. 

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,130
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On 1/16/2018 at 5:11 PM, missmuffet said:

We do not know what the thorn in the side was that Paul had to deal with. The Bible is silent on that. We need to respect when the Bible is silent on a topic. God would tell us if he wanted us to know.

There are these indicators that is said
Gal 4:15

15 Where is then the blessedness ye spake of? for I bear you record, that, if it had been possible, ye would have plucked out your own eyes, and have given them to me.
KJV

Gal 6:11

11 Ye see how large a letter I have written unto you with mine own hand.
KJV

I can think of no greater thorn than his struggle to examine and write with poor eye sight the things of God ... yet outside looking in imagine the intensity of His person in doing so! It would have been a great witness to those in observance of Him in doing so, as to the importance of written Scripture...

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

3 hours ago, enoob57 said:

There are these indicators that is said
Gal 4:15

15 Where is then the blessedness ye spake of? for I bear you record, that, if it had been possible, ye would have plucked out your own eyes, and have given them to me.
KJV

Gal 6:11

11 Ye see how large a letter I have written unto you with mine own hand.
KJV

I can think of no greater thorn than his struggle to examine and write with poor eye sight the things of God ... yet outside looking in imagine the intensity of His person in doing so! It would have been a great witness to those in observance of Him in doing so, as to the importance of written Scripture...

Perhaps but just speculation. 

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,130
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

4 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Perhaps but just speculation. 

Yes no thus sayeth The Lord on defining thorn- but poor eye sight and eye problems is thus sayeth The Lord :) Another aspect to think of was how Paul was originally converted to the truth and now through that very same avenue a very much difficulty to his mission of establishing The Gospel...