missmuffet

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

u have a problem with lust and anger? And because you have this problem, instead of in faith coming to God for strength to overcome, you claim those commandments are impossible to obey? You speak of repentance. Are you not aware that true repentance is a complete turning away from sin? What kind of tyrannical God demands repentance from sin which people cannot possibly stop? What kind of unreasonable God commands us to do the impossible? When Jesus told the prostitute to go and sin no more, did she reply that's impossible? 

As for your sentence "The impossible standard that God sent was to send proud, deluded  “obedient law-keepers “ to their knees." is the most nonsensical statement on this entire thread. Yes, the law directs us to Christ. Because in our carnal nature and condition it is indeed impossible to obey God's laws. In fact, the carnal nature is at enmity against the laws of God. But we are not carnal!  The old carnal nature is dead, the dominion and rulership of sin is now over, we are freed from that slavery of unrighteousness. We have more power abiding in us than was used to create the worlds. We have Christ Himself in us, His Spirit is within, God with us, which means that through faith and prayer we have at our disposal exceeding great and precious promises that through uniting with the divine, we can obey!!!     If you desire to obey, you can. With the right mindset, those commandments become promises. You shall not commit adultery. You shall not kill. You shall not lust. You shall not covet. Promises, every one. The fulfillment of those promises is based not on our obedience, but on faith. We believe they can be obeyed, and we find we can do exceedingly above all that we ask or think. If you continue to believe that obedience is impossible, then your faith is lacking my friend, and you will never overcome. Not because the commandments are impossible, but because you believe they are impossible. And what you believe for, you receive.

No where in the KJV Bible does it say we are saved by turning from sin.....we are saved by grace,through faith plus nothing.As a reward for your faith God will give you His Holy Spirit.Then your nature becomes two- fold, Gods Spirit in You now can not sin.....the old man ,that sin nature you were born with is still within you and now there is a Spiritual warfare taking place inside you that the old man is destined to lose over time, as long as you finish your Christian walk the same way you started it—-faith. Didn’t you start out with faith in Christ when you saw you were a lost sinner who needed a Savior? That is the true repentance that leads to Salvation. After one is as saved ,the new heart that God gave us will make us more loving and more obedient and we will find ourselves living a more faithful and obedient life. I desire to keep the commandments of God and as time goes on I do a better job because the new man is winning the war as promised.Our obedience suffers ups and downs in this life, but thanks be to God,using a combination of growth in the new man and sometimes chastisement The overall trend is upward.we will know perfection  “ Over There “ ——covered by His Grace until we get there.

i would be be very interested to hear about your experience with repentance....did you ever see yourself as you really are—- a wretched sinner who has to have a Savior? Like the tax- collector who could do nothing but cry out.....”God have mercy on me ,a sinner”. Please share if you would be kind enough. God bless

Edited by Blood Bought 1953

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

On 1/17/2018 at 8:30 PM, Neighbor said:

Legalism is the other guy's doctrine that I do not agree with, and will not accept, because I only accept that with which I already agree, and only hear that which reinforces what I  want to believe is so.

I politely disagree. Legalism is missing the "true" meaning of a passage of scripture. If I can give an example without derailing the topic.  (1 Peter 3:3 says: Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes)  Some have taking this passage to mean that it is a sin to wear jewelry or make up in church. When the real meaning is that one needs to have inner beauty from their heart having a gentle and quiet spirit, which is explain in the next verse 1 Peter 3:4. Yet you will find  Legalistic people condemning women for wearing jewelry and make up to church and miss using 1 Peter 3:3 to back them up. That is what legalism is.

( As I said I do not mean to derail the topic. So if anyone would like to debate the meaning of 1 Peter 3:3-4 please make a new topic. I know how things can run a muck sometimes and I do not want that to happen) 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

3 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

I politely disagree. Legalism is missing the "true" meaning of a passage of scripture. If I can give an example without derailing the topic.  (1 Peter 3:3 says: Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes)  Some have taking this passage to mean that it is a sin to wear jewelry or make up in church. When the real meaning is that one needs to have inner beauty from their heart having a gentle and quiet spirit, which is explain in the next verse 1 Peter 3:4. Yet you will find  Legalistic people condemning women for wearing jewelry and make up to church and miss using 1 Peter 3:3 to back them up. That is what legalism is.

( As I said I do not mean to derail the topic. So if anyone would like to debate the meaning of 1 Peter 3:3-4 please make a new topic. I know how things can run a muck sometimes and I do not want that to happen) 

Polite disagreement is always beneficial , as iron sharpening iron is.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/17/2018 at 8:42 PM, missmuffet said:

I am seeing the word "legalists" associated with politics and Trump. Apparently those who do not support Trump are labeled "legalists". Please give me a beginning 101 class on why that is so.

I am not sure what  legalism as to do with Trump.:noidea: But it seem all topics on here lead to him. Since I just came back out of hiding I am trying to avoid "Trump" issues for the time being. So I guess I don't have anything to say about that right now. 

• Thanks 1

Guest shiloh357

I am not sure why legalism has got to be such a complicated issue.  Legalism is believing you have to follow a particular set of rules in order to please and  be saved.  Legalism is all about trying earn God's favor through works.  That's really all that it is.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

On 1/20/2018 at 4:17 PM, Justin Adams said:

It is a man made term that is cast about in search of any target that:
1) does not agree with you
2) suggests you keep The Lord's Commandments
3) says you honor rome by your methods and days of worship
4) shows irrefutable evidence that you are wrong

1) True enough but not in the way you think. 

2) YES IT DOES

3) Totally wrong. Christ rebuke you for daring suggest such a thing

4) Even more wrong

Just because something is not mentioned explicitly by name in the bible, such as Trinity, Rapture and yes, SUNDAY worship, that does not mean that it is not taught in the bible

https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-Christian-legalism.html

The apostle Paul warns us of legalism in Colossians 2:20-23: “Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: ‘Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!’? These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.” Legalists may appear to be righteous and spiritual, but legalism ultimately fails to accomplish God’s purposes because it is an outward performance instead of an inward change.

To avoid falling into the trap of legalism, we can start by holding fast to the words of the apostle John, “For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ” (John 1:17) and remembering to be gracious, especially to our brothers and sisters in Christ. “Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand” (Romans 14:4). “You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat” (Romans 14:10).

Acts 15:5 | View whole chapter | See verse in context

But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

Acts 15:24 | View whole chapter | See verse in context

Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

Romans 2:25 | View whole chapter | See verse in context

For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/19/2018 at 1:43 PM, John Robinson said:

No, hon, I'm not pointing out any poster in particular, just the general herd of SDAs/legalists who are flocking to Worthy like hyenas to a watering hole.  Hang around here long enough and you'll see it for yourself.

What's an SDA? :noidea:

On 1/19/2018 at 1:47 PM, Justin Adams said:

Thanks for the reply, but you see, there is no end to the Law. What Yahweh spoke (His Word) lives forever. I fulfill the rules of the road. But in so doing, I do not abolish them. Scripture is very plain in that regard.

So......You follow all the "Laws" of the Old Testament?   There are a lot. :blink:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

21 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

What's an SDA? :noidea:

Seventh Day Adeventist

They follow a false prophet who teaches that we must honor Saturday as the day Christ rose from the dead (when the Saturday resurrection actually comes out of paganism). They also follow a number of other false teachings which are too numerous to get into right now

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

51 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

So......You follow all the "Laws" of the Old Testament?   There are a lot. :blink:

The ten commandments are for us all. The Torah is God's everlasting law - until heaven and earth pass away.

Lots of people follow the Sabbath rule #4 because it is said by Yahweh to be His Everlasting Law. So to honor the Lord that Created Heaven and Earth and all that is, seen and unseen, is a reminder to us who He is and of His Creative Genius.

Many twist scripture and say the Ten Commandments are not for today - why? Only because of rule #4. Satan hates the Sabbath like Rome did and does all he can to confuse and cause strife over it. But rule #4 stands forever - see it in Ezekiel's vision for the millennium kingdom where everyone will be expected to observe it.

Many of the items in the Torah have benefited humans down thru the ages - washing for instance, saved countless thousands of  ladies early on when operations were done without cleanliness. So many great ideas for cleanliness and such are to be found in Torah. Some say there are 613 laws to be kept, but they are just being legalistic. The unclean (vacuum cleaner) animals and fishes are also a very good guide. Japanese million would have not died to biological multiplication of mercury might have been saved.

There are so many that are vitriolic about not observing the Sabbath, that I wonder, in the coming tribulation if they will be easy prey for the beast-system.

Edited by Justin Adams