• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

3 hours ago, HisFirst said:

My most vivid memory is of about 5 or 6 years of age and being very frightened to close my eyes in prayer - I thought something 'bad' would happen while our eyes were shut!!

*and also the adults after service outside the Church building, pinching my chubby cheeks and calling me Goldie locks and "oh, doesn't she look like Shirley Temple!!".... I wanted an escape route really fast!

a lil chubby cheeked ausie.    

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

2 hours ago, TickledPinkinChristWoot! said:

I was a child. An outdoor tent revival in the middle of high summer and humidity. No fans. No outdoor AC units blasting of course. And the pastors portable PA system went out. 

She then stood fast in preaching the word by screaming every word. Coughing regularly because her voice was not use to that nor was her throat apparently. 

And then people falling out and her screaming that the holy spirit had arrived! And thinking , because she said so, it was because she was in the spirit and so were the one's on the ground. 

But they weren't. They passed out from heat stroke. Ambulance sirens were the only louder thing in the atmosphere of that humid day. By the time me and my family got in our car we looked as if we'd showered with our clothes on. And there was no water at the revival. No drinks. 

Because we were to suffer in the name of the Lord as he suffered on the cross. With only vinegar to drink. I was amazed that wasn't a libation. 

SHE.             let it sink in a bit.       I know call me gospel old fashioned.  

• Haha 2
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

22 minutes ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Sister ,   me too.    my mom was a non practicing catholic and my dad was atheist .   But he told us he would not stop us from going to church if we ever wanted too.

Course I was evil to the core sis.    so my life was spent from one evil to the next, doing things that would make growed men and women cringe .

You know what is so wonderful about grace,  YOU don't get what you deserved, that and IT CHANGES YOU COMPLETELY .  

Amen to that FTL!:thumbs_up:

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Neither did I.

I was raised by a single dad who was atheist (he was raised RCC) but allowed his kids to go to Sunday School, Youth Group and Church services.

Very unusual.

My parents were not atheists. They just were not living their lives for Christ which they should have been doing. I had a brother who was an atheist and a scientist and a brother who was a born again Christian.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/10/1963

Well I do not how old were some of you when I was save. I was 20 years old the ladies dressed like in fairy tales and the young man respectful and handsome.The gathering were silent at the preaching of the Word and the gospel .Yes there were the occasional noise of children quited by the Parents.There were no drink or chewing gum accepted behaviours then or drinks allowed.Now  some of these look like theaters with loud  speakers.The preachers looks like air pilots with their high teck mics. I do not remember as a child.I had little time to experience it ? I wish I was born in a Church setting.It may have saved me from a number of heartaches. The most important is being in the Big family.

gdpit_com_325838795_30.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Earliest memories are not ones of glory to God, but more a failure of God's expected servants, or for me to understand their good intent. And so though I had some very early experiences that I do remember. I did not attend a church of my own volition until after I  received that specific call by the Holy Spirit to repent to turn about from my rejection of God to bowing before His Son Jesus. I was thirty five if I remember my age correctly. I know the time period, and the rapid series of events God then took me and my entire immediate family through. Been on that particular voyage ever since.

My earliest memory? I was somewhere around five to seven years old and was taken to church at Portsmouth New Hampshire by the aunt of a friend. What happened was; I got dragged into a kid's Sunday school class that was in a very large room that had a large greenish waterfall thing with a tank sitting at the base of it. It had no water, I didn't know what it was. So I asked the lady that had handed me a page to color with crayon,  "What is that tank for" ( it was kinda scary to me)? She said and I remember, "Heathen child!". With that  I think I remember getting myself out of there fast and walking from downtown  back to Wentworth Acres where we lived at the time.

My next experience came  as I started attending CYO  with my city Roman Catholic buddies at age 11 at Watertown Massachusetts. I attended CYO twice because we shot pool on Thursdays with the priest after their classes. Well he would shoot a rack and then go into the card game going on in the "room".  The pool hall was a  basement dump of a place, under a closed movie house in the downtown business circle. One would walk into the side alley and go down the hole, the stairs into the basement. Anyway, I used to wait for their CYO class to end and then join up with them; but my friends thought it would be funny if I attended too. They said the priest would never know. And so I attended twice and the priest did not know; but on the second time one of my buddies asked if it was okay to ask non catholic friends to attend too. The priest lit into him with an emphatic "No! If we did that we would have every  (expletive deleted) heathen in the city in here!" And there was that word again, Heathen! Hmm.

Next thing I know, I am young, married, in the funeral industry working  up to five funerals a day and meeting pastors, priests, and an occasional Rabbi, or other clerical type, several times a day. Eventually I became a "boss" at a large mortuary  and memorial park ( cemetery) where it was part of my job to meet, socialize, and understand the leaders of many faiths  at Los Angeles.

I did so for some long time. Never believed there was God, but was with the people of God all day long day after day after day. I helped overcome the RCC domination of Catholic burial privileges. I knew the man that became the leader of  the LA RCC before he was lifted up to that status. I knew  the best known of the Rabbi's in the area, and even helped develop a Jewish Cemetery, within the larger one that I was part of, with it's local temple members; but I had no need for a god as there was no God. I didn't mind others having gods, I was an atheist, a ....heathen.

Till God changed all that, for God answers prayer, and years before my bed ridden paralyzed grandmother was faithful to pray for me and to read the Bible to me, even though I could not understand her garbled impaired speech. In fact it would scare me at times in that back bedroom where she was most of the time in a bed with a huge scary tapestry above the head board. There were two tapestries, one had deer or elk, the other  a lion and I think myabe a lamb not sure. But sitting under a lion listening to  my grndmother garble on as she held me with one still strong hand and arm was often scary not comforting. 

When I was turned about which is another story altogether. And for another format if at all. I was allowed over time to piece it all together, and see God  is sovereign over it all. There is good purpose in His predestinations for His own. He foreknew and He predestined. I had wanted nothing of it, but it was to be anyway. How fortunate am I that His mercy is great! Otherwise I would be as that scary church lady had said, a heathen child.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Ha, I do remember the time on a Boy Scout jamboree being bussed to a Methodist church, being sat in the front row, and a plate being passed. We had no idea what to do with it so we all passed it on. Later we were lectured on our failure as good Boy Scouts as not one of us had put  that dime we each had in the plate. Oh, we were a bunch of heathens didn't know anything, an embarrassment to our scout leader.  Okay, bye to Boy Scouts soon after that tirade. 

• Haha 1

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

I love all your responses:wub:

Reading them reminded me of this verse :

So shall my word be that goes forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.

Isaiah 55v11

• Thumbs Up 1