• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

Hi frienduff thaylorde,

Just because someone sits on a Church pew and goes thru the motions, is a pleasant smiley person does Not make them Christian.

It doesn't matter how learned  in the Bible or how 'nice' a person appears (Proverbs 31 says charm is deceiving), there are con artists everywhere......church is no different :(

Only God knows the true condition of the heart.

I probably sound like a jaded woman but.....

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

22 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

Hi frienduff thaylorde,

Just because someone sits on a Church pew and goes thru the motions, is a pleasant smiley person does Not make them Christian.

It doesn't matter how learned  in the Bible or how 'nice' a person appears (Proverbs 31 says charm is deceitful), there are con artists everywhere......church is no different :(

Only God knows the true condition of the heart.

I probably sound like a jaded woman but.....

Well, I loves ya sister.   you aint jaded.   its true ,  often in these times we are in the bigger they smile no matter what evil they support , IF they smile big they must KNOW JESUS syndrome

is all over the place.     You right on .     Its why I say Hugs without doctrine is false .    hugs with sound doctrine and warnings and reminders is good.

Flattery is the worst.    and very deceitful it is.    You loved sister .  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi  to all,

Do you suppose the children's church is in need of improvement? 

Seems a rather common theme develops out of first encounter memories, and one that is not at all comforting to many, based upon the memory the mind selects for recounting as an adult.

I know it has evolved some where I attend. With for hire staff ordained for ministry in charge of all worship and study  for children up to sixth grade then youth up through 12th grade, and then college, and finally career and marriage age. Then we get lumped into the rest of us with special Sunday school classes for the very old that still want to sing the old hymns only. That makes for a lot of paid ordained staff, each with their criminal background checked. Plus all volunteer helpers/assistants must be checked.

But what of the main general  worship service, the one that tends to bore kids to insanity? Should they be part of it or not? Should the worship be that boring in the first place to kids and youth? I wonder. Are kids such a distraction to worship that we really need cry rooms and special classes for them  as parents worship and hear sermons? Are adults not tolerant of children, nor children capable of being taught social behavior around adults?

Just wondering is all.  I know I threw out all the felt boards and easels long ago. The children have real bible lessons, and not stories about carrots. There are also AWANA classes midweek where the youngest of children spend enormous amount of effort and time learning Bible passages and hearing application of them. So there is Christ being taught, but is it the best of ways? 

Locally where I attend there is  a long lasting series of concern and effort at improvement that been ongoing  for a couple of decades steady that I know of. I wonder if there is a different earliest memory  to come  from the kids of today  after they mature because of such efforts, or if first memories are really about being  introduced to a strange environment and are a reflection of some discomfort that  any new setting might bring to any child.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I was in a nursery in which toddlers as well as up to 5 year olds were crowded with little supervision.  I was pushed down by larger children and had toys taken away and found it all terrifying.  But the alternative was to sit still and quiet for much too long a time for a toddler.  Later memories of Sunday School were not much better.  My earliest was of my teacher, the pastor's wife, who was frequently absent.  One time I came in late and found her in the back hall with her swollen face black and blue.  When I said hi she started crying and ran from me.   This was in the late 40s.  

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

My parents were more religiously inclined when I was younger, but it didn't last long. There was a spot of drama in the church we attended, and due to disagreements, they were invited to never return. They really haven't been to a church since. It's too bad; I wish I had spent more time as a Christian.

My earliest memory of church is that I was given a bible by a churchgoer (it might have even been the priest, I don't recall) where they wrote my name and the date the bible was given to me on the inside cover. It specified the church's "daycare" setup they had during the service. I gave it a look at the time, but lacking any pastel pictures, I put it aside to collect dust. 

So many years later, I picked up that very bible, the one that I read today. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

On 1/19/2018 at 7:09 PM, Abby-Joy said:

What I shared was about 3 hours of horror condensed into a few sentences... and took place in a regular "Christian" church... it looked like your regular small country church that might seat about 100 people.  Sad, isn't it?  

:emot-crying::broken_heart:

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,015
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,277
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

My first memories of worship services were of the wonderful singing.    We sang the old, well known hymns...and everyone would sing them from their hearts, with all of their might.    I was quite young,  and my mother and I would go to Kathryn Kuhlman's services.    Oftentimes we couldn't get a seat but would stand in the back to hear the singing and sermon.  

As a slightly older child, I attended a Presbyterian Church in my neighborhood for Sunday School and eventually regular worship where I was in the Youth Choir. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

23 hours ago, Debp said:

My first memories of worship services were of the wonderful singing.    We sang the old, well known hymns...and everyone would sing them from their hearts, with all of their might.    I was quite young,  and my mother and I would go to Kathryn Kuhlman's services.    Oftentimes we couldn't get a seat but would stand in the back to hear the singing and sermon.  

As a slightly older child, I attended a Presbyterian Church in my neighborhood for Sunday School and eventually regular worship where I was in the Youth Choir. 

I can remember the old heavy hymnal books and the wooden frame on the church wall that displayed the wooden numbers for the hymns to be sung during service. Wow, that's the 70's!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 hours ago, HisFirst said:

I can remember the old heavy hymnal books and the wooden frame on the church wall that displayed the wooden numbers for the hymns to be sung during service. Wow, that's the 70's!

Using Roman Numerals?

And the beat goes on;  the pipe organ is long gone, the hymnals are just pew back weights, there are two big screens instead,  and near everyone has tablets for Bibles. Pews are being replaced with wide padded stackable chairs that can be reconfigured for multi purpose usage. LED lighting has replaced the incandescents and the fluorescents.

But the Word is the same, Praise God!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

15 hours ago, HisFirst said:

My current church still uses the wood signs and cardboard numbers to post the psalms we'll be singing during worship. Not 70's at all, just paid for & cost effective.  :)  

• Thumbs Up 3