HisFirst

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

My most vivid memory is of about 5 or 6 years of age and being very frightened to close my eyes in prayer - I thought something 'bad' would happen while our eyes were shut!!

*and also the adults after service outside the Church building, pinching my chubby cheeks and calling me Goldie locks and "oh, doesn't she look like Shirley Temple!!".... I wanted an escape route really fast!

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest shiloh357

For me, it was when were there at church and the heavens were opened and the glory of the Lord shone 'round about us and we saw the New Jerusalem and the angels were ascending and descending and giving us manna for Communion. 

But I'm sure that happens to everyone...

Just now, shiloh357 said:

For me, it was when were there at church and the heavens were opened and the glory of the Lord shone 'round about us and we saw the New Jerusalem and the angels were ascending and descending and giving us manna for Communion. 

But I'm sure that happens to everyone...

Umm.....hmm.....is this serious Shiloh?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  200
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

I was a child. An outdoor tent revival in the middle of high summer and humidity. No fans. No outdoor AC units blasting of course. And the pastors portable PA system went out. 

She then stood fast in preaching the word by screaming every word. Coughing regularly because her voice was not use to that nor was her throat apparently. 

And then people falling out and her screaming that the holy spirit had arrived! And thinking , because she said so, it was because she was in the spirit and so were the one's on the ground. 

But they weren't. They passed out from heat stroke. Ambulance sirens were the only louder thing in the atmosphere of that humid day. By the time me and my family got in our car we looked as if we'd showered with our clothes on. And there was no water at the revival. No drinks. 

Because we were to suffer in the name of the Lord as he suffered on the cross. With only vinegar to drink. I was amazed that wasn't a libation. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, TickledPinkinChristWoot! said:

I was a child. An outdoor tent revival in the middle of high summer and humidity. No fans. No outdoor AC units blasting of course. And the pastors portable PA system went out. 

She then stood fast in preaching the word by screaming every word. Coughing regularly because her voice was not use to that nor was her throat apparently. 

And then people falling out and her screaming that the holy spirit had arrived! And thinking , because she said so, it was because she was in the spirit and so were the one's on the ground. 

But they weren't. They passed out from heat stroke. Ambulance sirens were the only louder thing in the atmosphere of that humid day. By the time me and my family got in our car we looked as if we'd showered with our clothes on. And there was no water at the revival. No drinks. 

Lol!! That sounds like a comedy sketch plus horror story! Not safe (in regards to heatstroke) - would be a different story today though.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  200
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

Lol!! That sounds like a comedy sketch plus horror story! Not safe (in regards to heatstroke) - would be a different story today though.

Oh, I sure hope so. 

I was wearing a white cotton sleeveless dress to stay as cool as possible. And I had a little hand fan with me or I'd likely have been one of those the pastor thought was, in the spirit. When in truth those poor people on the ground were in need of an IV to replenish their fluids and electrolytes. 

I couldn't understand how she claimed they were in the spirit when these people fell to the ground and very shortly after didn't move. What is that? Shhh, they're getting a secret message from the spirit and they're not moving because they want to pay strict attention? :bored-1:

I know there still are tent revivals happening across Texas. Me , I would bring a rolling game-day cooler and fill it with 12 oz. bottles of ice cold spring water. Buy a few dozen fans from the local Dollar Tree and be ready. Just in case I am there to experience, falling out in the spirit......the sequel. 

I tell you though, the members present and on the grass fared far better than the pastor did. Makeup streamed down her face and onto her dress collar. Her hair was soaking wet because she wore it in a pixie cut. And yet, the sad appearance of ruined streaked cosmetics aside, she absolutely gained my respect in that she endured to the end. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  239
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  4,173
  • Content Per Day:  1.52
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  10/04/1980

my first memory of church was when i was maybe 4 and my family lived on the rez at the time so the only church there was was an rcc. my godmother took me but i dont really remember anything bout it other than that.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

My earliest memories is being at a private Christian kindergarten. I must have been about 6. We had Sunday school classes there. I did not grow up in a Christian home.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

I did not grow up in a Christian home.

Neither did I.

I was raised by a single dad who was atheist (he was raised RCC) but allowed his kids to go to Sunday School, Youth Group and Church services.

Very unusual.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

43 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

Either did I.

I was raised by a single dad who was atheist (he was raised RC) but allowed his kids to go to Sunday School, Youth Group and Church services.

Very unusual.

Sister ,   me too.    my mom was a non practicing catholic and my dad was atheist .   But he told us he would not stop us from going to church if we ever wanted too.

Course I was evil to the core sis.    so my life was spent from one evil to the next, doing things that would make growed men and women cringe .

You know what is so wonderful about grace,  YOU don't get what you deserved, that and IT CHANGES YOU COMPLETELY .  

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1