• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

14 hours ago, HisFirst said:

My most vivid memory is of about 5 or 6 years of age and being very frightened to close my eyes in prayer - I thought something 'bad' would happen while our eyes were shut!!

*and also the adults after service outside the Church building, pinching my chubby cheeks and calling me Goldie locks and "oh, doesn't she look like Shirley Temple!!".... I wanted an escape route really fast!

I have a vague memory of going to my younger brother's baptism when I was 2, but that was on a naval vessel. I dont know if its done much today but it used to be traditional in navy families to have their babies baptised in the ship's chapel in an upturned ship's bell.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

11 hours ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

SHE.             let it sink in a bit.       I know call me gospel old fashioned.  

Oh yeah.....have you ever noticed how churches led by women generally dont do so well? 

The bible is very clear that women can help their husbands or teach women and children but otherwise are forbidden to preach or usurp authority over men. In other words, as Christ, a male is the head of the church, symbolically that is represented by men being the heads of congregations

• This is Worthy 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,444
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

18 hours ago, HisFirst said:

My most vivid memory is of about 5 or 6 years of age and being very frightened to close my eyes in prayer - I thought something 'bad' would happen while our eyes were shut!!

*and also the adults after service outside the Church building, pinching my chubby cheeks and calling me Goldie locks and "oh, doesn't she look like Shirley Temple!!".... I wanted an escape route really fast!

Shirley that's very interesting  :D

• Haha 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

13 hours ago, Yowm said:

I was about 4, it was a Sunday School. I remember about a flannel board story of a boy praying for his planted carrot seeds. I guess the prayer worked and he ended up with a wheel barrow of carrots. Afterwards my mom asked if I wanted to go back and I shrugged my shoulders, 'no'. I thought why should I? It took 21 years later before I darkened the doors of a Church again.

Moral of the story, teach the Gospel to children, not stupid carrot stories.

That is something for us to bear in mind when working with children at church Yowm. I agree, with the time that we have with them, I would rather give children something to go home with that is truth, rather than just entertaining. 

Speaking of flannel board stories, I used to love listening to them...

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, HisFirst said:

It has been interesting reading through this thread HisFirst. I enjoy learning about others here that make up what we know as Worthy. :) 

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, Ghostdog said:

my first memory of church was when i was maybe 4 and my family lived on the rez at the time so the only church there was was an rcc. my godmother took me but i dont really remember anything bout it other than that.

Hey Ghost, It is great that your gran was willing to take a young four year old with her to church. :) 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, ForHisGlory37 said:

My earliest memory of church was when I was in the 3rd grade... my dad took my brother and I to church.  The Good Shepherd Presbyterian church.  He wanted us to have Korean friends and he wanted Korean friends.  But I remember my Sunday school teacher.  She was a Caucasian lady who was married to a Korean man.  I got my first bible too!  The Good News Bible for $3.50.  My first story was the story of David and Goliath.  Oh how I looooovvvved that story!  I couldn't get enough of it.  I had to keep reading!  Then I went to my little neighbor friend and evangelized to her! LOL  Still, to this day...David and Goliath is one of my favorite stories in the Bible.... but the one that inspires me most now is in Genesis...Enoch walked with God for 300 years.  That just makes me awestruck.   :amen:

Hi ForHisGlory,

I loved the fact that from the time you first heard the story of David and Goliath that is made an impact in your life. And the fact the one story kept you reading and learning more. Thank you so much for sharing :) Blessings 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,444
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I remember my red headed Sunday School teacher, probably about 1960 or so. She worked at my second favorite place to visit, SS Kresge's in Wellston, MO. Next door was an Western Auto where I would walk to after collecting soda bottles, cashing them in and walking 2 miles to buy me a box of 25 cent, .22 long rifles. That's right, buying ammunition at eight years old for my .22 LR. I remember her leading me to the Lord. Most on here are probably too young to remember 'back in the day'. 

img001.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

11 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

I remember my red headed Sunday School teacher, probably about 1960 or so. She worked at my second favorite place to visit, SS Kresge's in Wellston, MO. Next door was an Western Auto where I would walk to after collecting soda bottles, cashing them in and walking 2 miles to buy me a box of 25 cent, .22 long rifles. That's right, buying ammunition at eight years old for my .22 LR. I remember her leading me to the Lord. Most on here are probably too young to remember 'back in the day'. 

img001.jpg

Thanks for sharing this Dennis :) Great picture.