Honoring mother and father

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

My husband had a difficult situation to decide, his sister called and not in a nice way but manipulative asking for money and she has done this in the past with demand, for her and their parents phone, tv, and internet bill. Now my question is, in honoring his parents is he obligated or to be in obedience to the commandments of honoring mother and father, that he has to pay it?  I don't see this is honoring his parents, his father was a drunk and used up their savings, so with his wrong doing of the past they are suffering, also it only says honor father and mother, does he have to be also helping his sister just because she chose to quite her job, she is capable of working she uses her money for smoking and drinking, where she needs to save her money for her own bills.  My husband and I don't even make much money and have our own debt to deal with, which I want to get rid of.  This is causing a division between my husband and I, and we have a very good marriage, just in these areas I am not happy with his decisions, so he believes that when they need money to honor his parents he needs to provide is this so, even though we are suffering ourselves, where do you draw the line?

Thx for your advices, God Bless

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, Shelley72 said:

My husband had a difficult situation to decide, his sister called and not in a nice way but manipulative asking for money and she has done this in the past with demand, for her and their parents phone, tv, and internet bill. Now my question is, in honoring his parents is he obligated or to be in obedience to the commandments of honoring mother and father, that he has to pay it?  I don't see this is honoring his parents, his father was a drunk and used up their savings, so with his wrong doing of the past they are suffering, also it only says honor father and mother, does he have to be also helping his sister just because she chose to quite her job, she is capable of working she uses her money for smoking and drinking, where she needs to save her money for her own bills.  My husband and I don't even make much money and have our own debt to deal with, which I want to get rid of.  This is causing a division between my husband and I, and we have a very good marriage, just in these areas I am not happy with his decisions, so he believes that when they need money to honor his parents he needs to provide is this so, even though we are suffering ourselves, where do you draw the line?

He does not have to give her money. God also asks that we be kind to one another and not demanding. People make bad decisions and they have to pay the consequences for their bad choices. You can not be their doormat. I think you should pray for them.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

3 hours ago, Shelley72 said:

This is a very difficult situation.  Personally, I would not let this affect your marriage negatively.  If your husband feels led to do this, then maybe it is best to not fight it.  Pray about it, and see what the Lord says to you on the matter.  Will be praying as well, God bless.

• Thumbs Up 3