How effective are Gospel tracts?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi everyone. How effective do you think Gospel tracts are? One of my friends has purchased these free Gospel tracts from www.gospeltracts.org, who is sharing the message of Christ with all people worldwide. It contains a simple Gospel message with Bible verses right there in the tract. So, what're your opinions on using Gospel tracts to witness?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

Here' a story of a friend of mind.  He was walking across a college campus one day and someone was handing out tracts.  He took one to be polite.  Later that day, he arrived early for a class, was bored, read it, prayed the prayer in it, and got saved.  30 some years later he's still serving the Lord.  I originally met him at church perhaps a year or so after this happened.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Many tracts I've seen use a message that could be summarized as "You're evil.  You're doomed.  Come to Jesus to be saved."

While this may attract some to Christianity,  it may drive others away.  On the other hand, tracts that bring up points and get a person thinking and wanting to know more can be great. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,828
  • Content Per Day:  2.43
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

Depending on the content, they can be great. We cannot know when, where, and how God may use them. It is our job to get the message out; the actual changing of hearts is the Holy Spirit's work. Who knows if ten years after a tract is given out, some friend of the person you gave it to finds it in some box and it opens their eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Tracts I've seen seem pretty ineffective, largely because they don't address the main reason people don't turn to God--they don't believe there IS a God.  Posters above have affirmed a few anecdotal stories about traditional tracts being helpful, but my experience has been that most people I know personally, including myself at one point in life, would need to first get over the hurdle of believing that God even exists.  I feel like tracts which could directly address THAT in a way that is respectful to one's intellect might be a little more effective.  I have never seen any such tracts, though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Tracts are like anything else man-made.  It is a tool that works with some and not others.  A hammer is a great tool, but you wouldn't use it to mop a floor.

There are people who would be receptive to tracts and people who would not be.

Be careful in the tracts you choose.  Many are terrible.

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  5

Not an expert here but don’t a lot of them preach Lordship Salvation? Do any of them preach the pure unadulterated Gospel thAt Paul gave  us in 1 cor15:1-4 ? Haven’t seen one of these tracts for many years.