one.opinion

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,240
  • Content Per Day:  2.11
  • Days Won:  4

I'm not really expecting a great deal of discussion, but I know that several of you that keep an eye on this topic will be interested:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-science-cloning-monkeys/chinese-scientists-break-key-barrier-by-cloning-monkeys-idUSKBN1FD2FF

The gist is that scientists in China have conducted the first cloning of a primate. If you're like me, you were probably very interested in Dolly's story about 20 years ago, but the technique, somatic cell nuclear transfer (or SCNT), just now was used successfully in a primate.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,352
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, one.opinion said:

I'm not really expecting a great deal of discussion, but I know that several of you that keep an eye on this topic will be interested:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-science-cloning-monkeys/chinese-scientists-break-key-barrier-by-cloning-monkeys-idUSKBN1FD2FF

The gist is that scientists in China have conducted the first cloning of a primate. If you're like me, you were probably very interested in Dolly's story about 20 years ago, but the technique, somatic cell nuclear transfer (or SCNT), just now was used successfully in a primate.

Looks like they cheated. They used fetal cells instead of adult somatic cells - so the epigenetics were more likely to line up. They therefore really only cloned monkey fetuses. And they still only got 2 viable monkeys from 127 attempts. It will be interesting to see if they continue to develop normally, and are able to reproduce healthy, viable offspring. It's scientifically cool (though ethically dubious), but a long, long way from bringing "the feasibility of cloning to the doorstep of our own species".

52 minutes ago, Tristen said:

They therefore really only cloned monkey fetuses.

True, but that still doesn’t really make me feel any more hopeful that China will not continue to push in the direction of human cloning.

55 minutes ago, Tristen said:

And they still only got 2 viable monkeys from 127 attempts.

SCNT was never highly efficient. This may be an even better percentage than some of the early attempts, like Dolly.

57 minutes ago, Tristen said:

It will be interesting to see if they continue to develop normally, and are able to reproduce healthy, viable offspring.

Absolutely! I think Dolly had normal offspring, but she died somewhat short of normal life expectancy. I believe she also had unusually short telomeres (the “end caps” of chromosomes that shorten throughout life) at the time of her death, suggesting that the fact that she was cloned may have played a factor in her early demise.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  2,352
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, one.opinion said:

True, but that still doesn’t really make me feel any more hopeful that China will not continue to push in the direction of human cloning.

SCNT was never highly efficient. This may be an even better percentage than some of the early attempts, like Dolly.

Absolutely! I think Dolly had normal offspring, but she died somewhat short of normal life expectancy. I believe she also had unusually short telomeres (the “end caps” of chromosomes that shorten throughout life) at the time of her death, suggesting that the fact that she was cloned may have played a factor in her early demise.

I remember reading about some New Zealand scientists who closed down their over-a-decade-old research into cloning because there was too much death and suffering in the animals (parents and clones).

I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already tried to clone humans - but I think we are a long way away from that capacity. A few lucky results don't really make it more plausible in the short term. But it wouldn't surprise me if some immoral group or regime is having a crack anyways.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,054
  • Content Per Day:  15.41
  • Days Won:  0

Why are the Chinese cloning primates with their population being as large as it is?  Is the goal to create a "clone" army? 

4 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

Why are the Chinese cloning primates with their population being as large as it is?  Is the goal to create a "clone" army? 

I think in their quest for a position of the highest prominence as a nation, the Chinese government encourages cutting-edge research as much as possible, compared to the US and Europe that routinely halt research in certain areas of ethical concern (like embryonic stem cells in the US).

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 1/24/2018 at 1:06 PM, one.opinion said:

The big deal isn't the cloning--God will give each a unique soul. The big deal is the people playing God and using cloning to further Down Syndrome-killing styled eugenics.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,059
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

It is interesting... I have pondered this verse for some time now in possible connection to this

John 3:5
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
KJV

this above disputed as to direct meaning- natural birth; Jewish understanding and custom; baptism etc. With natural birth you could see as God against cloning... I always wondered how the antichrist performs the illusion of the mortal wound to convince the multitude of his being god? Cloning would certainly be a possible along with demon possession. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  649
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

Intriguing how man is constantly  turning to the animal world in desperately attempting to " advance " himself  , both , physically & morally  . 

Animals not being nearly as wicked or depraved  . 

17 minutes ago, Unfailing Presence said:

Intriguing how man is constantly  turning to the animal world in desperately attempting to " advance " himself  , both , physically & morally  . 

Animals not being nearly as wicked or depraved  .

Although humans are certainly sinful and depraved, I wouldn’t use animals as a comparison. There have been filmed incidents of cannibalism in chimpanzees. I think what you perceive is due to their limited capability, not a higher level of morality.