MorningGlory

Inside the International Flat Earth Conference

This article lays out the flat earth theories and beliefs better than anything I've read to date.  Some of what they say absolutely blows me away but....well check it out for yourselves.  My only question after reading lthis is how can so many be so wrong?

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/inside-flat-earth-international-conference-where-everyone-believes-161005216--abc-news-topstories.html

It is a great deal of energy and resource for such a thing as this, but who can say what the end-game is going to be?

https://www.bellingcat.com/resources/articles/2017/06/07/flat-earth-online-communities/

If one were to sincerely adopt the belief of a flat earth, it would require a reshaping of other notions, such as the nature of the universe and elementary laws of physics. Thus, the beliefs surrounding flat earth communities are rarely isolated to just the shape of the planet, and will extend to rejecting the most basic tenets of physics and astronomy, such as Copernican heliocentrism (the earth revolves around the sun, and not the other way around) and the theory of gravity. YouTube channels, Facebook groups, and Imgur albums provide endless examples (and variations) of these alternative laws of physics.

Flat earth beliefs are not just a break from scientific logic, but more centrally an explicit rejection of mainstream political authority. According to flat earth believers, the round earth is more than a scientific lie; it extends to a grand conspiracy orchestrated by the global order and perpetuated by a range of institutions, both real (NASA) and imaginary (the Illuminati). With this, we see the common threads between flat earth online communities and alt-right ones, with similar messaging strategies and a shared vocabulary of describing their ideological foes. 

The cognitive dissonance required to believe that the earth is flat leads to a number of absurd subsequent beliefs, including, as best documented by Sam Kriss in The Atlantic, that there are actually no forests on earth. An 80-minute video, embedded below, lays out the details of the idea, which as Kriss describes, goes beyond simple assertions about forests and veers into nonsensical “mythic assonances.”

On 1/26/2018 at 2:01 PM, Justin Adams said:

It is a great deal of energy and resource for such a thing as this, but who can say what the end-game is going to be?

https://www.bellingcat.com/resources/articles/2017/06/07/flat-earth-online-communities/

If one were to sincerely adopt the belief of a flat earth, it would require a reshaping of other notions, such as the nature of the universe and elementary laws of physics. Thus, the beliefs surrounding flat earth communities are rarely isolated to just the shape of the planet, and will extend to rejecting the most basic tenets of physics and astronomy, such as Copernican heliocentrism (the earth revolves around the sun, and not the other way around) and the theory of gravity. YouTube channels, Facebook groups, and Imgur albums provide endless examples (and variations) of these alternative laws of physics.

Flat earth beliefs are not just a break from scientific logic, but more centrally an explicit rejection of mainstream political authority. According to flat earth believers, the round earth is more than a scientific lie; it extends to a grand conspiracy orchestrated by the global order and perpetuated by a range of institutions, both real (NASA) and imaginary (the Illuminati). With this, we see the common threads between flat earth online communities and alt-right ones, with similar messaging strategies and a shared vocabulary of describing their ideological foes. 

The cognitive dissonance required to believe that the earth is flat leads to a number of absurd subsequent beliefs, including, as best documented by Sam Kriss in The Atlantic, that there are actually no forests on earth. An 80-minute video, embedded below, lays out the details of the idea, which as Kriss describes, goes beyond simple assertions about forests and veers into nonsensical “mythic assonances.”

Well, I can't put it any better than you have, Justin, but it bothers me that seemingly intelligent, well educated people buy into all of this.  It's like they just chuck everything they ever learned and believe what someone else tells them.  With no proof whatsoever.  :noidea:

• Thumbs Up 1

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, MorningGlory said:

This article lays out the flat earth theories and beliefs better than anything I've read to date.  Some of what they say absolutely blows me away but....well check it out for yourselves.  My only question after reading lthis is how can so many be so wrong?

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/inside-flat-earth-international-conference-where-everyone-believes-161005216--abc-news-topstories.html

My only question after reading lthis is how can so many be so wrong

that statement just gave them AMMUNITION.    While I KNOW the earth is ROUND , but ONLY because the BIBLE says so ,  CIRCLE ROUND

you gave them ammo and they will only feel justified.    Dear sis don't ya know that usually the majority believes the lie , not minority , majority .

Well ,  I think I hear the horses neighing as the calvary of flat earthers cry   < EARTHERS MOUNT UP

thus....................I AM OUT  of here.  

Just now, frienduff thaylorde said:

that statement just gave them AMMUNITION.    While I KNOW the earth is ROUND , but ONLY because the BIBLE says so ,  CIRCLE ROUND

you gave them ammo and they will only feel justified.    Dear sis don't ya know that usually the majority believes the lie , not minority , majority .

Well ,  I think I hear the horses neighing as the calvary of flat earthers cry   < EARTHERS MOUNT UP

Wish they had that same zeal FOR JESUS and the gospel as they do for that flat earth lie ,   heck souls would be hearing the gospel .    okay now I am out.

On 1/26/2018 at 12:00 PM, MorningGlory said:

Well you know MG, I think there's something to flat earth, pillars of the earth and the Earth being hung on nothing. The Lord gave us that information for a purpose, perhaps it's a metaphor or symbolic, or something we can not see in this dimension. I don't know, but I'm not going to read into it anything I'm not allowed to see or understand. 

See what 2 mites buys you these days :laugh:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/26/2018 at 10:00 AM, MorningGlory said:

How can so many people be wrong as believing in the earth which is a sphere or believing that the earth is flat? I don't trust man so I will not take his opinion.

1 hour ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Well, in my opinion, a pancake is flat  :)

On 1/26/2018 at 1:00 PM, MorningGlory said:

Well how should I say this, I find it sad that there are so many different views on the flat earth, even weird ones which can make it look like all flat earthers believe this way, but there are sensible views of it, and I believe that is what the bible shows is a flat earth, even Nasa even debunks itself by it's errors, contradictions, and so forth which are many, yet a lot of people do not question these things, now that's weird.

• This is Worthy 1

On 1/27/2018 at 4:16 PM, frienduff thaylorde said:

So it gave them ammunition...so?  Let them defend their position.  If they can.