• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  168
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/18/1951

Q:     Brother, the term common sense is often used by unbelievers as  opposition to Faith matters. How should Believers handle the common sense?

A:     In Christian Faith matters we ought to differentiate between Good sense, where Good is derivative from GOD and thus should rest upon His Word and common sense (a.k.a. reason) – the logic and wisdom of the world. To prove my point, I may only suggest finding common sense in the Bible.

Now, in search for things relevant, we may scrutinize some denotations.

Webster's Dictionary (2001) defines reason as ...the mental powers concerned with forming conclusions, judgments, or inferences... sound judgment, good sense... normal or sound powers of mind, sanity... the faculty or power of acquiring intellectual knowledge...

Noah Webster's (1911) runs: ...that mental faculty in man which enables him to deduce inferences from facts, and to distinguish between right and wrong; right judgment...

That's why, in every argument or controversy it's most reasonable to start with definitions, namely, what we mean using this or that key-term.

I deny not that these [human] sentiments are true, when they are applied to things which are subject to reason; such as the management of cattle, the building of a house, and the sowing of a field. But in the Higher and Divine things, they are not True… But since reason is filled with ignorance of GOD, and aversion to the Will of GOD; – how can reason be called good, in this sense? …  (Martin Luther, The Creation: Commentary on the First Five Chapters of the Book of Genesis, p.192)

Good sense teaches us to sort out priorities. GOD First. Our spirit (heart) should be totally subordinated to Holy Ghost. The soul, containing intellect & reason, is to be under the spirit. Common sense (reason) is to manage cattle, house, etc.

Scripture reference:

Joshua 1:8 (Good sense)

Proverbs 3:5 (ditto)

2Timothy 1:7 (ditto)

John 1:5 (Good sense vs common sense)

1Corinthians 1:18-21 (ditto)

From Q & A book,

http://igor.worthyofpraise.org

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

FOLLOW the SPIRIT and have SPIRIT SENSE .    for mans wisdom is contrary to God.

Follow the Spirit , heed the Spirit and you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh

For it is HE working in his own that which is well pleasing in his sight .    Don't worry bout what others call common sense .

JUST follow the Spirit and have Spirit sense .  and read those holy scrips which make one wise unto salvation through faith IN CHRIST .

All lambs , forward march IN the LORD our faith shall soon be tested by a massive persecutoin

when once the one this all inclusive mindset an religion leads the world as one right to the dark one who by PEACE destroys many.

NO fear   ,  FOLLOW THE LAMB and proclaim the gospel of JESUS saves , and flee that gospel for all inclusive unity for world peace its leadilng all to the man of sin.

Forgive all who would harm us , but never conform to the ways of the world .   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

1 hour ago, Igor Evgen said:

Q:     Brother, the term common sense is often used by unbelievers as  opposition to Faith matters. How should Believers handle the common sense?

A:     In Christian Faith matters we ought to differentiate between Good sense, where Good is derivative from GOD and thus should rest upon His Word and common sense (a.k.a. reason) – the logic and wisdom of the world. To prove my point, I may only suggest finding common sense in the Bible.

Now, in search for things relevant, we may scrutinize some denotations.

Webster's Dictionary (2001) defines reason as ...the mental powers concerned with forming conclusions, judgments, or inferences... sound judgment, good sense... normal or sound powers of mind, sanity... the faculty or power of acquiring intellectual knowledge...

Noah Webster's (1911) runs: ...that mental faculty in man which enables him to deduce inferences from facts, and to distinguish between right and wrong; right judgment...

That's why, in every argument or controversy it's most reasonable to start with definitions, namely, what we mean using this or that key-term.

I deny not that these [human] sentiments are true, when they are applied to things which are subject to reason; such as the management of cattle, the building of a house, and the sowing of a field. But in the Higher and Divine things, they are not True… But since reason is filled with ignorance of GOD, and aversion to the Will of GOD; – how can reason be called good, in this sense? …  (Martin Luther, The Creation: Commentary on the First Five Chapters of the Book of Genesis, p.192)

Good sense teaches us to sort out priorities. GOD First. Our spirit (heart) should be totally subordinated to Holy Ghost. The soul, containing intellect & reason, is to be under the spirit. Common sense (reason) is to manage cattle, house, etc.

Scripture reference:

Joshua 1:8 (Good sense)

Proverbs 3:5 (ditto)

2Timothy 1:7 (ditto)

John 1:5 (Good sense vs common sense)

1Corinthians 1:18-21 (ditto)

From Q & A book,

http://igor.worthyofpraise.org

GOD First. Our spirit (heart) should be totally subordinated to Holy Ghost

Let it be said AGAIN. 

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "What does the Bible say about common sense?"

Answer:
Common sense is sound judgment in practical matters. In Proverbs 8:5 some translations speak of the need to develop “common sense,” which other translations simply call “prudence” or “discretion.” Biblically, common sense can be thought of as a combination of wisdom and discretion (Proverbs 3:21; 8:12–14). Wisdom is knowing what to do; discretion is knowing when and where to do it.

Part of being a fool is having no common sense or being “void of understanding,” as the KJV puts it (Proverbs 7:7; 24:30). The book of Proverbs proclaims the benefits of gaining wisdom and also shows the folly of being a fool (Proverbs 13:16; 16:22; 26:11). Proverbs 3:13–14 says, “Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold.” Wisdom allows us to see life the way God does. When we seek God’s perspective, we can make decisions based upon their eternal significance rather than selfish interest. When we choose to make decisions based on wisdom alone, we are exercising common sense.

The desire for instant gratification is the enemy of common sense. Many people have become ensnared in trouble and heartache because they rejected a wise path and sought instead immediate satisfaction. Common sense is often developed by learning from the consequences of such poor choices—the school of hard knocks educates many. Everyone makes bad decisions at some point. The difference between the wise and the foolish is that one learns from his mistakes and the other keeps repeating them. Some people seem born with a more level head, while others learn from experience. Either way, wisdom and common sense should be continually pursued in order to experience the best God has for us (Proverbs 2:1–8).

https://www.gotquestions.org/common-sense.html

• Thanks 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  168
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/18/1951

Shalom,

Well, my point was to try define things properly and to divide Godly from worldly. As for the Holy Scriptures, believe me, I have about 100 different translations, old and new, sometimes searching them all to be as less dependent on men translators as possible. The same with the theological and common dictionaries.

I do listen to the Still Small Voice and try to avoid distortions when I write. Reading many writings and comments of other Christians, I can see, I'm not alone listening & trying.  

I thank you all for reading and consideration.

Faithfully, Igor