• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

One thing about living among the liberals running (or attempting to run into the ground) California, is there is no shortage of entertainment from our lawmakers.

Imagine, being the poor prosecutor who would have to file charges against a waiter, for the crime of handing out a drinking straw. This is the sort of thing that has to be true, because  you cannot make this stuff up!

What am I babbling about? It seems that legislation is being considered that would allow a  waiter  (or waitress) to get a fine of up to $1000 or 6 months in jail, or both, if they hand a plastic straw out to a customer, who did not ask for one.

Now, while I understand the urgent need to save our planet from  the destructive power of a plastic straw, I do wonder why we need to prosecute a waiter, for handing out a straw to a customer, for legally dispensing a product that can be legally purchased by children for 2 cents a piece in box quantities. 

Now, it occurs to me, that handing out the straw, is not the problem, the problem occurs if the customer subsequently throws the straw away. If handing out a straw is so harmful that we should jail a person for 6 months, what should we do to a person, who throws away a milk jug, life in prison?

This is that sort of thing that happens, when you allow well intended people with no sense, into politics. This is likely, a result of California's recent law which eliminated super market's practice of handing out plastic bags. How scary it must be, to live in a mind, that is so paranoid of everything. I am surprised that these  extreme environmentalists are not in loony bins - maybe they should be,  for their own sake, it would be the humane thing to do.

Some people occasionally claim that there is no real effect that normal people call slippery slopes. These people just are not paying attention  to the world around them. From what I observe, not only are slippery slopes real, they are the rule, not the exception.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2018/01/29/plastic-straws-illegal-unless-requested-under-california-bill/1074610001/

• This is Worthy 1
  • Haha 2

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  131
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

My local paper put up a story like this recently. It was talking about how many establishments are switching over to alternative straws as plastic straws are too dangerous to the environment. Straws made from paper, bamboo, even twizzlers.

Like America doesn't eat enough, now we're eating our straws.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

This thing about the plastic straws was on our local news tonight....I was half listening so didn't hear if it actually became a law.   I thought it was funny, too, that you can get in trouble for handing one out!

Actually, about now taking reusable bags with me to the market....I actually like that.   The bags are stronger and some stores give you a credit for bringing your own bag.

The reason they did this was because of so many plastic bags ending up in the Los Angeles River, and then the ocean.   Some of the sealife can get tangled or even eat the bags.