Question

the bible commonly says in hell there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.... but nowhere claims the punishment will be unbearable, as fanatics like to say.  so what is the biblical definition of hell

24 answers to this question

Hell is temporal and will be cast into the lake of fire, which is called the second death.  If you can even imagine an existence without anything good, then you will begin to understand how being separated from God forever would be unbearable.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well i agree with OneLight and i will also add..

Those who shall be cast into the eternal lake of fire will have no option but to bear it.

So yes it will be bearable because it will be eternal without end..

• Thumbs Up 1

The car crashed and you are injured; the bank refused your credit card; your kid got arrested for possession; your wife left you for another; a tree fell on your house; you lost your job; your medical coverage is refused at the A&E; two cops want to have a word with you.

Hell is much, much worse. You cannot leave so I am told.

There are the vestiges of some roman doctrines floating around in regards to Hell. But I sure do not want to find out first hand...

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Tyler22 said:

the bible commonly says in hell there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.... but nowhere claims the punishment will be unbearable, as fanatics like to say.  so what is the biblical definition of hell

Part I:  I guess you need to put me in the category of the "fanatics".  I believe that hell will be unbearable in many ways.  Unbearable meaning torment past the point of seeing any hope of rescue.  

If hell were BEARABLE, then it wouldn't be hell.  If there was a light at the end of the tunnel,  it wouldn't be hell.

What is the Biblical definition of hell??  All I can do is cite scripture and let you read it from the Bible and in context for yourself:

1. Matthew 13:42  - "They will throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
  2. 1 Thessalonians 1:9- "They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might"
  3. Revelation 21:8 - "But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

Part II:  Rich Deem gives a good and brief list of the Biblical descriptions of hell.    

fire and brimstone burning wind fiery oven
flames of fire judgment by fire unquenchable fire
furnace of fire eternal fire eternal punishment
fiery hell pits of darkness lake of fire

And he also give a good and concise list of the Biblically described torments of hell:

smoke of their torment no rest day and night
weeping and gnashing of teeth tormented
death their worm does not die
destruction

I can only say that this eternal torment sounds awfully UNbearable to me.

Part III:  I agree with hell's assessment by Tim Challies.  He's a gifted teacher.

The agonizing pain of hell is the utter agony that will be in that place. “The undying worm is something foul, endlessly gnawing at hell’s inhabitants, eating at them continually, giving them no rest. This probably refers to conscience.” Imagine an eternity of a violated but re-sensitized conscience continually attacking, accusing and destroying. There will be weeping–an eternity of pouring out intense grief and anguish and intolerable misery. And there will be gnashing of teeth, perhaps a rage or insanity that will beset those in hell, and for good reason. And, of course, there will be unimaginable physical pain such that people will no doubt cry out for even the worst pain they knew in this life......

.......And the appalling prospect is that all of this will never end. We all know the words of Amazing Grace where we sing “When we’ve been there ten thousand years / bright shining as the sun / we’ve no less days to sing God’s praise / than when we’ve first begun.” Just as those in heaven will be no further from the end when ten thousand years have elapsed, the same is true of people in hell. We cannot fully imagine eternity and thus cannot fully imagine what it would be like to suffer forever and ever and ever, age after endless age. Our minds cannot conceive; and I’m grateful for that limitation. At the end of this article I’ve excerpted some words of Jonathan Edwards that are worth reading.

I find the subject almost unbearably weighty. Just thinking seriously about it presses on my soul and presses upon my heart. I would far rather think about heaven and about the reward that awaits there for those who know and love the Lord. But it is good and healthy to think about hell. It would not be healthy to think about it too much or to have a long and deep-seating fascination with it, but because God has revealed to us that there is such a place and because He has seen fit to give us a glimpse of it, it does us good to pay attention. Resources are few. We must, of course, turn to the Bible, the source of all we know about hell. 

I hate hell. I hate that it exists and hate that it needs to exist. I’m amazed to realize that, when we are heaven, we will praise God for it and that we will glorify Him for creating such a place and for sending the unjust there. But for now I am too filled with pride, too filled with sin to even begin to justly and rightly rejoice in the existence of such a place of torment. I cannot rejoice in such a place and do not gloat that even the wickedest of men with perish there. It is just too awful, too weighty. And I know that I deserve to be there.

This comes from the pen of Jonathan Edwards. To me this is probably the weightiest of all the horrors of hell–considering that it will never end, never ease, never cease. It will continue for all eternity with no hope for reprieve.

Consider what it is to suffer extreme torment forever and ever: to suffer it day and night from one year to another, from one age to another, and from one thousand ages to another (and so adding age to age, and thousands to thousands), in pain, in wailing and lamenting, groaning and shrieking, and gnashing your teeth – with your souls full of dreadful grief and amazement, [and] with your bodies and every member full of racking torture; without any possibility of getting ease; without any possibility of moving God to pity by your cries; without any possibility of hiding yourselves from him; without any possibility of divine help.....

8 hours ago, Tyler22 said:

The biblical definition of hell/hades/sheol is the abode of the souls of the dead.

Before Jesus descended to hell and preached the gospel there (1 Pet. 3:19; 4:6; Eph. 4:9), all dead souls, righteous and unrighteous, went there, and there was a "great gulf" (Luke 16:26) between them. Thereafter, the souls of the righteous have ascended to heaven, and hell has become the exclusive domain of the unrighteous dead. So now only evil is found there, each soul despising its neighbor. Their hatred and lust is what makes hell "burn."

I think being on fire just for a moment would be unbearable.  hell is forever.  and the whole gnashing of teeth thing... that is seriously unbearable when you have enough torment to gnash your teeth. 

there are a lot of fairy tail ideas out there about what hell is like.  but dont let those ideas fool you.  once you feel your toenails curling up and your tippy toes blistering, its to late. 

• Thumbs Up 2

18 hours ago, Cletus said:

I think being on fire just for a moment would be unbearable.  hell is forever.  and the whole gnashing of teeth thing... that is seriously unbearable when you have enough torment to gnash your teeth. 

there are a lot of fairy tail ideas out there about what hell is like.  but dont let those ideas fool you.  once you feel your toenails curling up and your tippy toes blistering, its to late. 

The Lake of fire IS REAL and it opens its mouth for all who reject JESUS and HIS SAYINGS .   and once their , ITS TOO LATE FOREVER .  

So,    I say lets correct those in error fast like,   get serious and grave again and say things like ..........GEE, BE YE HOLY FOR HE IS HOLY . 

• Thumbs Up 1

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, WilliamL said:

The biblical definition of hell/hades/sheol is the abode of the souls of the dead.

Before Jesus descended to hell and preached the gospel there (1 Pet. 3:19; 4:6; Eph. 4:9), all dead souls, righteous and unrighteous, went there, and there was a "great gulf" (Luke 16:26) between them. Thereafter, the souls of the righteous have ascended to heaven, and hell has become the exclusive domain of the unrighteous dead. So now only evil is found there, each soul despising its neighbor. Their hatred and lust is what makes hell "burn."

But the LAKE OF FIRE ,  even hell gets cast into that .      IT IS REAL , IT IS REAL .   

AND JESUS is THE ONLY WAY OUT OF THAT .    go tell a muslim , go tell a jew , go tell an atheist , ITS JESUS or hell fire .    FOR ONLY JESUS SAVES.

and it don't matter if one was born a jew or a gentile.  NO JESUS , NO LIFE , ONLY DEATH and the end, SECOND DEATH .    that is HOW SERIOUS the GOSPLE IS

and that is WHY it alone must be preach and that is why the all inclusive world peace gospel is from HELL itself and all who believe it are and will be damned forever

LEST they repent and say JESUS IS the only way and no other path will work .   But be advised soon many will turn on us who say this   .   many will betray CHRIST

and us in short time to come as the all inclusive lie leads to the Father of lies , and he handeth his system to the beast and all worship the all inclusive beast.

Only it wont be all inclusive ,   NO TRUTH and death to those who preach TRUTH will be its cry.  

• Loved it! 1

1 hour ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

But the LAKE OF FIRE ,  even hell gets cast into that .      IT IS REAL , IT IS REAL .   

AND JESUS is THE ONLY WAY OUT OF THAT .    go tell a muslim , go tell a jew , go tell an atheist , ITS JESUS or hell fire .    FOR ONLY JESUS SAVES.

and it don't matter if one was born a jew or a gentile.  NO JESUS , NO LIFE , ONLY DEATH and the end, SECOND DEATH .    that is HOW SERIOUS the GOSPLE IS

and that is WHY it alone must be preach and that is why the all inclusive world peace gospel is from HELL itself and all who believe it are and will be damned forever

LEST they repent and say JESUS IS the only way and no other path will work .   But be advised soon many will turn on us who say this   .   many will betray CHRIST

and us in short time to come as the all inclusive lie leads to the Father of lies , and he handeth his system to the beast and all worship the all inclusive beast.

Only it wont be all inclusive ,   NO TRUTH and death to those who preach TRUTH will be its cry.  

I suppose you would kind enough to explain more about the bold underlined statement?  As you said before, those whom you converse with may know what you are talking about, but those who do not converse with you may see you coming against Romans 12:18 ( If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. ) and Matthew 5:43-48 (“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’  But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.  For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?  And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so?  Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.), and even the Beatitudes, Matthew 5:9 specifically ( Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God. )

You need to work more on your delivery ...

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, OneLight said:

I suppose you would kind enough to explain more about the bold underlined statement?  As you said before, those whom you converse with may know what you are talking about, but those who do not converse with you may see you coming against Romans 12:18 ( If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. ) and Matthew 5:43-48 (“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’  But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.  For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?  And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so?  Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.), and even the Beatitudes, Matthew 5:9 specifically ( Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God. )

You need to work more on your delivery ...

The delivery is fine.   However I do agree its should be explained in fuller detail.

The all inclusive seeker friendly is how it began to increase .   this gospel interfaith all inclusive is a snare .  While not all yet may agree with the part where it says

all roads lead to God , that all religions are from GOD, that everyone is really praying to the same GOD.   THIS IS the desired goal and some are starting to embrace that .

Long back they began sneaking lil things into the churches that would and will eventually lead them to believe at least that we are worshipping the same GOD.

But ,  they were far too wise to just come out and say it.   So , they break down the defense of the church by getting people to   become unequally yoked together.

That all just put down differences ,  focus on unity  .   They doing this in evangelical missionaries , HAVE BEEN.   might want to look that up.

Its like what you seen in the emergent church.    Those types of ideals , they take the focus off preaching the gospel for Conversoin

but they were far too wise to just say IT , so they sneak it in , n clever ways so as the church don't see it.   I mean look how sneaky it starts

of course the common man would want world peace .  of course they say things like hugs ,   just come together , have good works , focus on what you have in common.

To those not on guard,  they fall for it , cause they use words like GOD is LOVE , but take that LOVE out of text to support a LOVE that GOD DONT .

They use key prhases like BUILDING BRIDGES.    You hear that RUN fast ,its a snare  leading into this.   They use phrases

like GODS house is a house of all nations.    By the time they getting here at that point    ,   they getting ready to deliver it  more .

they will take this phrase OUT of text to mean that all religions can worship as one in Gods house .    But that is a lie .   christains cannot worship with muslims

we cant pray together ,   their religion as are others of anti Christ spirit .    I mean the Koran never said JESUS IS THE CHRIST

and as JOHN says he who denies that JESUS IS the CHRIST is anti Christ .   What broke the churches down first

was this seeker friendly lie .    YOU KNow how they got that started.      They went out to what they call UNCHURCHED , and asked them for advice.

THAT was death snare number one .   WE don't ask the world how to evangelize,   WE just Follow the Spirit .   Now, what this did

was in some circles and more and more are doing this ,    but it let just anyone into the church.   NOW we KNOW all are welcome .  BUT WHAT IT DID NOT DO

was correct squat .   Therfore when gays and others came in ,   not hearing truth  they did not repent.  NOW they KNEW what they was doing . and it worked.

SEE,  what began to happen was some began to see what seemed as geuniune prayer from unrepentant sinners

so they began to ASSUME these must know CHRIST .    see what happens when we unequally yoked and no correction .  THEY said it would win souls to JESUS

if we backed off from doctrine and just LOVED THEM TO JESUS.   yeah,   but what really happened.  The gays did not repent , the churches instead accept them now more and more .

And now they will do this with interfaith .  they will say the same lies,  like its not necessary to win them to JESUS , they can stay in their religion

etc.   But it wont win squat to JESUS, it will create however , the worlds largest church ever and what an abomination IT WILL BE .

as in time , AND WATCH FOR THIS TO HAPPEN I LIE NOT .   as n time you see more and more muslims , jews , lw Christians,  even wicans

even gays and others joining hands in world peace and unitiy.    THE ALL INCLUSSIVE GOSPLE is OF SATAN to create a one abomination mind set

that will heed this coming thing of world peace .       AND we , those of us who refuse this lie ,  we will be seen as monsters.

Their is so much more I can bring showing how this interfaith all inclusive is at work and how it does indeed grow.

Media and religion will usher in the beast and all will see this anti Christ and kings and the answers to world peace and unity.  PARD,  we running out of time .

as I said watch out for key phrases like bridge builders , or healing the wound  ,  or my I will try and bring more of them. 

But it starts very small.  leaven does ,  YOU hear preachers that wont warn or remind or correct but rather focus on good works using phrases like LOVE

or unity or ALL inclusive .  YOU FLEE FAST , its begging .  

• This is Worthy 1