• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  100
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Hello everyone, 

I'm growing closer and closer to God and I have a question. How does one know God has spoken to them and given a revelation on their life. I feel in my heart something so strongly that God has revealed a promise to me regarding my relationship. I meditate and pray on this everyday, I read scriptures regarding the situation. I have prayed for signs of assurance and believe he has showed me the signs and I feel He has spoken to me but I don't know. Maybe it is the enemy putting doubt in my mind of what God has promised me. Just would like to know if there is a way of knowing that God has spoken to you.  

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

I would say confirmation comes when it takes place, in the meantime, continue to pray and believe.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

Maybe read how Gideon solved this problem. Then give yourself a sabbatical from thinking and praying about it for a certain time. Give the Lord some space to act, either for or against. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  100
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

14 hours ago, wingnut- said:

I would say confirmation comes when it takes place, in the meantime, continue to pray and believe.

52 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Maybe read how Gideon solved this problem. Then give yourself a sabbatical from thinking and praying about it for a certain time. Give the Lord some space to act, either for or against. 

Thank you both for these pieces of advice. My problem is my mind. The enemy seems to just love to attack my thought process causing me to doubt, and worry. Justin, I read what happened with Gideon. He just asked God if it was him speaking trusted, believed and waited for the answer. Again, thank you both. I will continue to trust God that everything will work out for my good. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Unwavering Faith said:

Thank you both for these pieces of advice. My problem is my mind. The enemy seems to just love to attack my thought process causing me to doubt, and worry. Justin, I read what happened with Gideon. He just asked God if it was him speaking trusted, believed and waited for the answer. Again, thank you both. I will continue to trust God that everything will work out for my good. 

I inferred that you might lay out some kind of fleece.

The Lord's hand is not so short that it cannot save, neither is His ear dull that it cannot hear....

Get right with Him. Lay out your fleece (whatever that might be). Drawing lots is also scriptural. And EXPECT an answer.

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  471
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,543
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  9

4 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

I inferred that you might lay out some kind of fleece.

The Lord's hand is not so short that it cannot save, neither is His ear dull that it cannot hear....

Get right with Him. Lay out your fleece (whatever that might be). Drawing lots is also scriptural. And EXPECT an answer.

I don't think this is good idea. 

1 minute ago, Wayne222 said:

I don't think this is good idea. 

Read Smith Wigglesworth. 

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  471
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,543
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  9

3 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Read Smith Wigglesworth. 

The holy spirit would have to tell you to do this.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

One way I was taught is to see if what you think is from God agrees with the Bible on that topic. This may be a silly example but if you think God is telling you to steal rather than work it's not God. Or if you're being told to end a marriage that probably isn't God. There are a few times God might want a person to get a divorce but usually divorce leads to disaster, even if the disaster takes 15 yrs to catch up with you.

Many yrs ago I had a female friend who told me she married a man who was already divorced twice. Several yrs later she confided to me that when she married him his 2nd divorce had not gone through. They lied on the state marriage license as well as lying to the minister who preformed the ceremony. It was so sad because she was a nice person with a kind heart who came from a terrible home. She wasn't a Christian but she loved God. Had I known the whole truth I would have urged her not to do it. It did end in a disaster.

The Bible is God's Holy book, it tells us what He likes, hates, and what He wants from us, in general. If you think you received a revelation from Him for your life it is possible. Just make absolutely sure your revelation doesn't contradict His written word. He doesn't do that.

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

On 2/1/2018 at 7:09 PM, Butero said:

Keep praying, but be open to the possibilities that it might not be God, but your imagination.  I have only heard God speak to me directly in an audible voice 3 times in my life.  The first time, I heard a voice say, "Preach the Word."  The second time, I was given a personal word concerning a medical condition, that proved to be true.  The third time, I was questioning God about something, and was fussing out loud to the Lord, when he practically shouted the answer over my ranting and raving.  I was thinking someone was doing something contrary to God's Word, and he gave me a scripture that showed they were not.  

Other than those three times, God has spoken things to me in a still small voice into my mind or Spirit.  I have asked him questions about Bible topics I didn't understand, and the answer was suddenly impressed upon me.  After that, the matter was settled in my mind.  I had to confirm those things in the Word, because they didn't come in an audible voice, but they fit, and up until then, I had no idea of the answer.  

Then there have been times of uncertainty.  I have had signs or impressions about things, where it appeared God was leading me to do things or that certain things were going to happen, but they were just feelings and signs.  I am much more cautious about them.  They might be God, and they might be my imagination.  When I am facing those kind of things, I am watchful, and look to see if doors are opening, or things are coming to pass that will confirm my feelings.  Those are the most frustrating times, because I am someone who desires direct answers right away.  I am the type of person that wants God to send an angel to tell me exactly what to do and what is in store, and I have not had that happen, ever.  

If you ever hear from God directly, you will know it, but in those uncertain times, where it is nothing but feelings or impressions, just watch and trust God.  That is really all i can advise you to do, based on personal experience.  

Butero, I experienced the same thing, when I became a Christion (long time ag0 in 1981.) I didn't know anything about the Bible or God. , I remember trying to do a Bible study with a couple of other Christian ladies with  a cigarette in my hand (what did I know?) The Lord changed me by not doing anything myself I did to try to change and He answered prayers by asking Him how to pray and some other questions and I remember that usually in a couple of days, I would hear it discussed on the radio. God will let us know everything He wants us to know in our life time,some things take times.

I agree with the other people here, that God talks to us in a still small voice and through our conscience and most of all His Word., He promised the Holy Spirit to be our Helper and He is.

I thank God for good discernment , which often came by testing things if they are of God or not and He will let us know, He is always faithful even when we're not. Where oh where could I go without the Lord?

• Thumbs Up 1