Someone messaged me saying it is ok to stay in an abusive marriage

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

A prominent member messaged me and said we must stay with abusive husbands/wives and if we don’t it is rebellion. It is NOT ok to stay with abusers. What does everyone think? Can’t believe this person thinks it is ok to be emotionally physcial or even worse..sexually abused. ???  my loved one is being abused and wants to be free and this person thinks it is ok!

Edited by JesusIsLord92

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

It matters not what people say. Take it to the Lord, and seek His will, in prayer and scripture. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  100
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

It is not Biblical to stay with someone who is beating you or abusing you sexually, that does not have to be. What is Biblical is that we are to love and pray for those who do wrong against us, and thankfully, that can be done from a distance. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

18 minutes ago, JesusIsLord92 said:

A prominent member messaged me and said we must stay with abusive husbands/wives and if we don’t it is rebellion. It is NOT ok to stay with abusers. What does everyone think? Can’t believe this person thinks it is ok to be emotionally physcial or even worse..sexually abused. ???  my loved one is being abused and wants to be free and this person thinks it is ok!

I'm with @hmbld on this one.  Telling a person (and potentially their children) that it is always God will for them to stay in a situation involving physical assault, rape, attempted murder, molestation, mental and verbal abuse, and the like is ludicrous.   At the minimum, a temporary separation could be a prudent course of action which is NOT sinful or rebellious.  

Scripture clearly gives an out from marriages when one partner is not a believer.  A "Christian" who is molesting a child or stepchild, beating up members of the family, raping a spouse, endangering them, engaging in predatory emotional manipulation, and similar things is in the same category as an unbeliever in my opinion.  Christians are not to treat marriage lightly; but getting a safe distance from someone who has put you into the ER and broken bones is far different than being "unhappy" in a marriage.   Frankly, I am angry with Christians who would quote I Cor 5:11 (But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.) as a reason to put people out of the church or have nothing to do with Christians behaving sinfully and in their next breath say that it is a sin to leave a spouse acting worst than that. 

There are times that in an act of faith (staying in a bad situation), God will protect us if we are faithful and walk where He wants us to.  However, putting ourselves into (or remaining in) a bad situation without God's direct guidance to be there can be a tempting of God (whereby we risk imminent danger to ourselves and others if God does not miraculously do something to protect us).   As hmbld said, it's about seeking God's guidance in situations like this.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84

1 hour ago, JesusIsLord92 said:

There is not one Scripture in the entire Bible that commands a person to stay with abusive husbands or wives, especially a husband who beats and sexually abuses his spouse, not one.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

2 hours ago, JesusIsLord92 said:

Can you please pm me who told you or report it?

Don't stay in  a bad abusive situation ,get out if it's dangerous ,don't 't wait for anything to happen ,go and look for help if needed!

Love you sister , Angels

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

3 hours ago, JesusIsLord92 said:

Don't listen to man. Listen to God's Word. Would God want a person to stay in a relationship where someone was hurting and abusing them?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

Unfortunately, this is not surprising...but no it is not a rebellion if one frees himself or herself from abusive marriage. The one that is actually living in rebellion is actually the abuser. That prominent member who said such thing should undergo counseling and get his or her perspective straightened biblically but God forbid that the same is actually undergoing some form of abuse or is abusing and living in deception.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  977
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

Throughout scripture we are told that poor stewards are removed from their position, and judged. Shebna for example was a leading light in Hezekiah's reign but took advantage of his stewardship for selfish purposes and was removed from office. Stewardship means caring for and protecting property/gifts that ultimately belong to another. This gentlemen means your wives. You are admonished to even lay your own lives down for them as Christ lay His life down for the church. Should you take your gift to use as your own property and abuse that gift in any way, God has every right, and will indeed enact that right, by taking that stewardship from you by removing your wife from the relationship. God does not take lightly those who beat or abuse those for whom Christ died.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,864
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

At the very least, if nothing else, the Bible teaches against divorce, which is a permanent, legal separation. I can't think of a single verse that says you can't just separate/run away from a truly abusive situation to protect yourself.