HisFirst

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

I went to the movies tonight and the movie was set in the '80s which were my teen years. Everything from the fashion (bad I know :) ) to the music in the movie made me really miss that decade . I got kinda melancholy!

Should we as Christians long for times past?

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

42 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

I went to the movies tonight and the movie was set in the '80s which were my teen years. Everything from the fashion (bad I know :) ) to the music in the movie made me really miss that decade . I got kinda melancholy!

It's understanable that a person would tend to look fondly at the times of their youth.  Even with the bad Fashion..  But it was not as bad as the 70's LOL 

Best thing to do is look forward to eternity with God thats when the real party will begin  :emot-partyblower:  :cake:   :emot-dance:  :emot-dance:

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  977
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0

I don't miss the eighties so much...but I sure miss being an 80s 30 something....seems I could get around a whole lot faster in those days...I could even shoot a hoop from the 3 point line....pass by a public toilet without asking myself if I can make it to the next one....get whacked by a cuddly toy without bruising....not getting bothered by glare off the white eye-brows....

Although as one gets older one gets more excited by the little things in life...like surviving a swim with the grand-kids without getting drowned...and not being overwhelmed with embarrassment as you show them pictures of you from the eighties dressed for church in flared corduroy...

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Longing?

Well, I am to live in the moment not worried excessively about tomorrow's troubles, for today has enough of it's own. And, there will come a time when old men will have their dreams while young will have their visions and all will come to the Lord.  I build today upon yesterdays having learned not to live each day as the same, except to accept myself as I am not trying to change what I was that brought me to where I am, just accepting that all serves the good purposes of God for those that believe on Jesus as Lord God and savior.

Personally I have seven complete decades to look back upon. I marvel at each one now. Do I have a favorite? How do I value my mother and father's care against my young love of a fine woman, or the decades of my being granted children to raise, or the decade of my own turning about to God and the following turbulent decade of growth in His faith to even now? I find sadness in some of it;  the loss of my life's mate, the loss of work friends all having passed, graduated before me. This last generation seeing a grandchild is wonderful!   I have a new bride, what a surprise  to a man in his seventies so the current decade is full of fineness to ponder too. 

Wow, can I reminisce and find doing so to be a good thing? Sure! And is it a good thing? I certainly hope so, for it all is the building blocks of my own coming to the certain knowledge that Jesus is Lord.

Do I have a favorite decade? No not really for each has it's very high points as well as low. Oddly the highest points came at the decades of the lowest too.

As to pop stuff music, styles, etc. I am always behind the curve anyway. I am just beginning to like Sinatra's music, and the Gaithers- go figure. My earliest remembrance of music would be of my father's collection of Mills brothers records. Then I guess it was Bill Haley's rock around the clock and Elvis with  blue suede shoes then Little Richard, Fat's Domino. Jumping forward because I was way too busy for music appreciation it is now some Van Morrison and  Fernando Ortega. Ha, yesterday morning I put on video of the Traveling Wilburys' "End of the Line". "Well it's all right now....we're going to the end of the line", and just for the heck of it I played Purple Haze too.  Today  as I think, it is " pink houses" John Mellencamp  Ain't that America..., the video I am playing even now.

Today is the best day, for I can indeed recall decades of personal experience,  read of life back as far as is recorded of history, and see forward perhaps a little too. It makes for a full day as I praise God for it all, and try to do all that I do  this day to his Glory.

“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts;
the whole earth is full of his glory!”

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

5 hours ago, HisFirst said:

I believe no. Our focus should be on things above.

"Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth." - Colossians 3:2

And we have joy, and great joy every single day...

"for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit." - Romans 14:17

And I am talking about an immense joy, only the Lord Jesus can give us: https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/218282-how-to-experience-the-joy-of-the-lord/?tab=comments#comment-2751488

"Rejoice always" - 1 Thessalonians 5:16

God bless you tremendously! :laugh:

Edited by 4LdKHVCzRDj2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

5 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Ecclesiastes 7:8 Better is the end of a thing than its beginning,
    and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.
9 Be not quick in your spirit to become angry,
    for anger lodges in the heart of fools.
10 Say not, “Why were the former days better than these?”
    For it is not from wisdom that you ask this.
11 Wisdom is good with an inheritance,
    an advantage to those who see the sun.
12 For the protection of wisdom is like the protection of money,
    and the advantage of knowledge is that wisdom preserves the life of him who has it.
13 Consider the work of God:
    who can make straight what he has made crooked?

14 In the day of prosperity be joyful, and in the day of adversity consider: God has made the one as well as the other, so that man may not find out anything that will be after him.

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1