Am I in a Cult?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

I think folk use the term'cult' like they use the word 'abuse'. Basically, anything they do not like or can find 'a' scripture that seems to prove a point.

Why we continually use the scriptures as some kind of blunt-instrument baffles me.

So much talk about the back of the 'book' these days, but so very few seem to have read the FRONT of the book. I do not think it is easy to understand the NT unless you are conversant with the OT.

The OT is 3/4 of most believers' bibles after all.

Edited by Justin Adams

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

9 hours ago, Butero said:

Lets take another situation.  Lets suppose instead of television, I was to say it is wrong to cheat on my wife, that is of course my business.  If I tell others they must not cheat on their wives to be saved and they must give up the other woman to be saved, does that make me a Judaizer (legalist)?  Thou shalt not commit adultery is right out of the law of Moses.  Television is not, so I don't see how that has anything to do with being a Judaizer.  

Faith in the Blood of Jesus is the only thing that saves us or keeps us saved.Giving up television, refraining from adultery or anything else we choose for our example will not save us or keep us saved.If  one adds to the Gospel He is perverting it and is a legalists ,or judaizer if you prefer.Keeping any Law to be saved or keeping any law to stay saved is legalism......we obey out of love and gratitude.Obedience is great and should always be stressed as pleasing to God.It is the only way to have the “ abundant life” of which Jesus spoke.Obedience blesses us—— it does not save us.David found out the hard way the stupidity of adultery.God punished him severely.That is one sin he never repeated.His abandonment of that sin did not save him or keep him saved.His faith did.Faith plus nothing.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

3 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Keeping any Law to be saved or keeping any law to stay saved is legalism......we obey out of love and gratitude.Obedience is great and should always be stressed as pleasing to God.It is the only way to have the “ abundant life” of which Jesus spoke.Obedience blesses us—— it does not save us.David found out the hard way the stupidity of adultery.God punished him severely.That is one sin he never repeated.His abandonment of that sin did not save him or keep him saved.His faith did.Faith plus nothing.

GOOD !  RIGHT !  ??? maybe ..... what if David did not repent ?  what if like other men he lived continually in adultery ?  Would you say then that because the penalty for sin is death,  death is the reward for sin if NOT REPENTED  ?  (as written elsewhere in Scripture) ...

If there is no sacrifice for someone's sin,  what happens to them ?  

14 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

If I decide it is sinful to watch television , that of course is my business......if I tell others they must not watch tv in order to be saved or give it up to stay saved —— thAt is where one has become a Judaizer ( legalists)

What if you just wanted to be free ("saved") from the devil -  instead of a slave of or serving or worshiping the devil ?  (without any reference or regard to eternal life in the next life,  just simply and only referring to in this current life on earth ?

Guest Butero
1 hour ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Faith in the Blood of Jesus is the only thing that saves us or keeps us saved.Giving up television, refraining from adultery or anything else we choose for our example will not save us or keep us saved.If  one adds to the Gospel He is perverting it and is a legalists ,or judaizer if you prefer.Keeping any Law to be saved or keeping any law to stay saved is legalism......we obey out of love and gratitude.Obedience is great and should always be stressed as pleasing to God.It is the only way to have the “ abundant life” of which Jesus spoke.Obedience blesses us—— it does not save us.David found out the hard way the stupidity of adultery.God punished him severely.That is one sin he never repeated.His abandonment of that sin did not save him or keep him saved.His faith did.Faith plus nothing.

The Bible states that adulterers will not inherit the Kingdom of God, so we either believe the Bible or you.  I choose the Bible.  Since television was not part of the law of Moses, it makes no sense to say those who say we can't have one are a judaizer.  I have a television, and have no conviction about it, but to claim those who say we shouldn't have one are legalists or judaizers is ludicrous to me.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

Please, can we dispense of the television stuff ? I was only using it as a ludicrous example.....I just as easily could  have said “bathing cats”

Some claim Paul was talking to non- Believers about the long list that included adultery. That could be the case.If true , not a problem for you or myself.

Others say he was talking to Believers. Paul said if we believe his Gospel we WILL be saved.Figuring that to be true, God will see to it that you are not an adulterer or Christ’s Blood will cover it if you are.Lets hope for the latter because you and I both are adulterers in our hearts, aren’t we? Simple Jeff is too—— I wouldn’t want to leave anybody out!

3 hours ago, Butero said:

The Bible states that adulterers will not inherit the Kingdom of God

Amen.  Since there are no adulterers in heaven (nor thieves, idolators, demon possessed, gays, greedy or hot-tempered) ,

they must be changed BEFORE they die ; everyone who is destined for heaven by God's Grace.

That is the GOSPEL - we all can REJOICE IN THE HOPE OF JESUS - HIS GRACE

HIS WAY to change us ,  after repentance ,  after turning to Him to be saved,

by the Father's Will for us to BE BORN AGAIN

- NEW CREATIONS (no longer adulters, thieves, idolators, demon possessed, gays, greedy, or hot-tempered)....

NEW CREATIONS whose citizenship (today) is HEAVEN !  Just as SCRIPTURE SAYS CLEARLY.