Vera Bradley

My Concern about Christianity Mixing with White Supremacy

3 hours ago, Vera Bradley said:

How is a member of the clergy of a very Progressive church, who had to step down from his position in the church because he wanted his 15 minutes on MTV germane to this issue at all?  Conservative Christians are not white supremacists.  This has been pointed out to you numerous times in this thread, and you have never engaged with one single person in this thread.  You can't, because to do so would undermine your flawed premise.

• Thumbs Up 2

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, Vera Bradley said:

I don't know that many will understand this. Some Christians are aware, and some aren't. And yes, I'm a seeker, a former Christian.

What I'm referring to is Empire Christianity, which is insular and rejects outsiders, which is not what Jesus was about. Christianity in America has developed a nationalistic edge that is in current times highly prized by descendants of colonists and other white citizens. But for Christians, Jesus is not the Lord of the USA only. It's either Jesus first or America first, but not both.

There is more fear and hatred toward immigrants, both legal and illegal, and there is a greater conflation between an American religion that calls itself Christianity and white nationalism and/or white supremacy. I'm sure not all Christians are carrying their beliefs out this way, but there are those who do, and the numbers are either increasing, or those people are getting louder, or both.

Does anyone not see this happening?

I agree that Jesus is not just Lord of the USA.  That is not the point of nationalism.  All nationalists are saying is that we desire to protect our borders.  I am a nationalist, but I am not fearful of legal immigrants and I don't hate them.  My concern is over allowing non-citizens to enter this country illegally, and then rewarding them by allowing them to remain and even giving them a pathway to citizenship.  I do not support that.  I also would be selective about who comes in.  Knowing we are under assault by Islam, I wouldn't allow any Muslims that are not citizens to enter the country.  I also would make sure that any immigrants desiring citizenship have a skill where they would be able to find a job and be self sufficient, not a further drag on the welfare state.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:41 PM, Vera Bradley said:

Pray for governing authorities: Yes.

America as the hope of the world: No.

There is nothing Christian about Republican/conservative ideologies and policies. There are white supremacist groups associating themselves with the Republican party and supporting the party's approach to immigration. The approach of Immigration and Customs Enforcement to deporting those illegally here has nothing to do with Christian ideals.

Likewise, there is nothing biblical about liberal/progressive ideologies and goals (same-sex marriage, abortion).

There has been a trend toward many Christians subscribing to Republican/conservative ideas without critically thinking about their implications, associations, or the founding fathers' call for separation of church and state.

Jesus never once allowed the politics of his day to influence his agenda.

The church is a apolitical no matter the nation because Jesus said his kingdom is not of this world.

Here is how Greg Boyd put it in The Myth of a Christian Nation:

"A significant segment of American evangelicalism is guilty of nationalistic and political idolatry… For some evangelicals, the kingdom of God is largely about, if not centered on, 'taking America back for God,' voting for the Christian candidate, outlawing abortion, outlawing gay marriage, winning the culture war, defending political freedom at home and abroad, keeping the phrase 'under God' in the Pledge of Allegiance, fighting for prayer in the public schools and at public events, and fighting to display the Ten Commandments in government buildings."

"Fusing together the kingdom of God with…the kingdom of the world is idolatrous…This fusion is having serious consequences for Christ’s church and for the advancement of God’s kingdom."

Greg Boyd's comments are among the dumbest I have ever read.  How exactly is it idolatrous to allow our allegiance to God to influence the way we vote?  I would suggest it would be rebellious to ignore God's Word when we vote and just go with our feelings.  We are the salt of the earth and the light of the world.  It is our responsibility to work to preserve things as long as possible and influence the nation towards righteousness and holiness.  We will never be able to bring about perfection.  Only Jesus can do that and will do so at the time of the millennial reign, but we are to do our part.  That means "taking back America for God."  That means doing things like working to outlaw abortion, outlaw gay marriage, win the culture war, keeping the phrase, "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, fighting for prayer in the public schools and events, and displaying the 10 Commandments in government buildings.  This is supposed to be idolatry against what god exactly?  This is what I call serving God.  This is standing up for God.  This is showing loyalty to God.  This is rejecting the anti-Christ and his agenda.  

I don't know who this Greg Boyd is, and it really doesn't matter, but unless his god is the anti-Christ or big government or something like that, I don't see how working to have a nation that is as righteous as possible is idolatry?  This guy must be bothered by the fact the church is hindering the globalist, anti-Christ agenda.  He thinks we are stupid, and he can go around making accusations like saying we are idolatrous and that is going to stop us.  I have news for My. Boyd.  This Christian has no intentions of letting down on fighting for all the things he calls idolatry.  I will take my chances when I stand before God on the judgment day as to whether I am guilty of "idolatry" because I was loyal to him and stood up for what is right.  I don't receive a single word this man says, and if he is some kind of "Christian" teacher, I believe he is a false teacher.  I don't even need to see or read anything else he has said in the past.  These comments alone tell me of what spirit he has.  

• Thumbs Up 1

probably just try to have a honest and civilized talk about it. Use things like african americans lining up for enlistment in ww2 (most of them were volunteers) and examples of what already happened when white supremacy got the best of us (holocaust, civil war, etc.). She doesnt have to agree with you entirely, she just has to come to understand that people are different and have differrent opinions. And that those opinions should be respected.